Not cycling, but still important.

Moderator: Joan

LowlifeDes

Re: Covid-19 Pandemic Thread

Post by LowlifeDes » 4 years ago

Regulator wrote:
4 years ago
Knowing my bloody luck I'd win...
OK, a sweepstake for which of us gets it second.
1 x

JohnToo

Post by JohnToo » 4 years ago

Lots of people, including some experts, are calling for the government to introduce more drastic measures and sooner. And it is fairly obvious the short-term benefits that introducing more drastic measures would have on slowing the spread.

The argument given, by other experts, is that there's a time limit to how long such measures remain effective (before people get fed up and cease to comply), so you have to save introducing them until the optimum moment, which isn't yet.

When experts differ, it's hard to know who to believe. With the extra complication that it's easy to see alternative and less praise-worthy reasons why the government might be holding off on introducing more drastic measures, besides the stated medical/epidemiological reasons.
2 x

JohnToo

Regulator wrote:
4 years ago
Knowing my bloody luck I'd win...
If the scenarios where 80% of us get it by the time it's over (so basically we all have to plan on getting it) are correct, isn't there a lot to be said for any individual getting it ASAP, before the health service gets overwhelmed and there is no chance of medical attention?
0 x

ransos

Post by ransos » 4 years ago

JohnToo wrote:
4 years ago
Lots of people, including some experts, are calling for the government to introduce more drastic measures and sooner. And it is fairly obvious the short-term benefits that introducing more drastic measures would have on slowing the spread.

The argument given, by other experts, is that there's a time limit to how long such measures remain effective (before people get fed up and cease to comply), so you have to save introducing them until the optimum moment, which isn't yet.

When experts differ, it's hard to know who to believe. With the extra complication that it's easy to see alternative and less praise-worthy reasons why the government might be holding off on introducing more drastic measures, besides the stated medical/epidemiological reasons.
It seems to me that regardless of divergent expert opinion, the government is already being overtaken by events. Professional football, Formula 1 and international cricket have all been cancelled. I'm about to shut down a construction project as the number of our contractors self-isolating means that we can no longer manage the site safely - a situation I'm sure is being replicated across the country.
1 x

Greg

Post by Greg » 4 years ago

Blimey ... from 590 to 798 overnight. 35%

This shits getting real.
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Joan » 4 years ago

Regulator wrote:
4 years ago
My medical practice is no longer offering face to face appointments without remote pre-screening.

Oh! So all the texts from my GP yesterday telling me not to bring my germ-ridden body into the surgery were not directed at me personally?

😌

I think Boris is a genius, but that's only because I have been listening to Trump.
0 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Regulator » 4 years ago

This shit is getting real...

IS providers are now talking about suspending all elective surgery (including private work) and turning their beds over to the NHS. I've got a large spreadsheet from NHS England to fill in with the bed capacity, equipment, facilities etc. for each of our hospitals.
0 x

Lullabelle

Post by Lullabelle » 4 years ago

Our boss got us all together for a chat

1: all non essential visitors are barred.
2: doors have been removed/ wedged open to minimise touching
3: if office staff need to spend time on the shopfloor-wear gloves
4: don't touch anything you don't need to
5: wash your hands regularly
6: the cleaner has been asked to focus on door handles/balastrades etc..
7: we are looking to purchase what cleaning stuff we can get.

Yes this s**t is getting real
0 x

JohnToo

Greg wrote:
4 years ago
Blimey ... from 590 to 798 overnight. 35%

This shits getting real.
I'm afraid I feel that we are probably confirming only a percent or so of actual cases, getting lower with the advice that getting the symptoms of the virus no longer has to be reported to anyone let alone tested.
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Aside: android text to speech pronounces it coroner
0 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Regulator » 4 years ago

No toilet rolls or kitchen rolls at Tesco this morning. Very little pasta, rice or tinned stuff.

Lots of fresh fruit and veg.... funnily enough, no-one seems to be panic buying that.

Parkrun was down on numbers this morning - but I did manage a PB (despite having a ‘bit of a chest’). Looks as though may be the last Parkrun for a while. If the gubbermint bans large social gatherings, Parkrun has said it will suspend all runs.
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Saw my first "self isolation" this morning. Old man leaving groceries on the ground outside a house, where you could see someone sitting just inside. Hopefully all are well.
0 x

Rutabaga

Post by Rutabaga » 4 years ago

1 x