Covid-19 Pandemic Thread

Not cycling, but still important.

Moderator: Joan

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Covid-19 Pandemic Thread

Post by Regulator » 4 years ago

I thought it might be helpful to have a single thread...

Just come off our Covid Briefing Call. We're taking a more proactive approach as a hospital group and placing greater restrictions on patients, staff and visitors than is currently being officially advised - but we expect the NHS to follow suit shortly.

It's also becoming clear that the government is coming under pressure from experts to change the advice it is giving and to move formally into the 'delay' phase. Don't be surprised to see large public gathering banned in the coming days - although government is also coming under pressure to keep schools open.
0 x

Greg

Re: Covid-19 Pandemic Thread

Post by Greg » 4 years ago

We're only a small company of 16 but have properly started contingency implementation this morning.
0 x

Sonic Budgie

Post by Sonic Budgie » 4 years ago

Unfortunately customers have decided that I should be self isolated in my shop for most of this year already.

I found this an interesting read from medium.com.

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavi ... d3d9cd99ca
0 x

ransos

Post by ransos » 4 years ago

I manage a large team and have already implemented a few measures, but our business continuity plan isn't going to work if the schools close, as so many of us have school-age children.
0 x

LowlifeDes

Post by LowlifeDes » 4 years ago

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-u ... type=share

Those figures from Italy, 15,113 infections and 1,016 deaths represent a 6.7% fatality rate. Is the infections number massively under-reported.
0 x

Iris

Post by Iris » 4 years ago

LowlifeDes wrote:
4 years ago
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-u ... type=share

Those figures from Italy, 15,113 infections and 1,016 deaths represent a 6.7% fatality rate. Is the infections number massively under-reported.
No. It allows both for a delay in reporting and for underreporting.

More or Less on R4 dealt with the point in its last show.
0 x

Lullabelle

Post by Lullabelle » 4 years ago

Today we were told that visitors will be restricted, they have to fill in a form in the reception, if any answers are yes they won't be allowed in. Employees are advised to wash their hands for x amount of time and use sanitiser.
We are also making plans in case schools close, anyone who has to self-isolate etc...
0 x

Greg

I never thought I'd say this but I think Boris is managing this very well indeed.
0 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Greg wrote:
4 years ago
I never thought I'd say this but I think Boris is managing this very well indeed.
We need a sarcasm smiley...
0 x

Greg

Regulator wrote:
4 years ago
We need a sarcasm smiley...
As a health professional I'd be interesting in hearing an opinion to the contrary?
0 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

He claims the Government's response is being led by 'the science'. The "science" he is referring to is the prognostications of the Behavioural Insights Team (now known as Social Change UK). This is an organisation whose 'foresight' and 'nudge' techniques have been proven lacking repeatedly in the past - but they have one big fan... Demonic Cummings.

The reality is that most health care providers are moving beyond the advice/directions being given by the Government, having decided it is insufficient. We're restricting public and patient access to our hospitals. We're moving to disperse the central teams that support hospitals to reduce the potential impacts/infection vectors. My medical practice is no longer offering face to face appointments without remote pre-screening.

The nonsense around 'herd immunity' (a term which relates to vaccination programmes) is being dismissed by experts - particularly as there is evidence emerging of reinfection in other countries.

We also have to ask why the CMOs for Scotland and Wales are taking divergent views from the CMO for England? Could it be because they are looking at the actual scientific data rather than the modelling of the BIT?
1 x

Greg

It seems to me, as a layman the medical impact is nought (on the individual) as compared to the PEST implication (on society), which is why we need politicians.
0 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

EU health ministers have a daily Covid-19 conference call. Swizerland is joining them...

... but not the UK.
0 x

LowlifeDes

Post by LowlifeDes » 4 years ago

Should we have a sweepstake as to which of us catches it first. Independent evidence would of course be necessary in order to reduce cheating.
1 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

LowlifeDes wrote:
4 years ago
Should we have a sweepstake as to which of us catches it first. Independent evidence would of course be necessary in order to reduce cheating.
Knowing my bloody luck I'd win...
0 x