Covid-19 Pandemic Thread

Not cycling, but still important.

Moderator: Joan

Greg

Re: Covid-19 Pandemic Thread

Post by Greg » 3 years ago

JohnToo wrote:
3 years ago
For those of you with travel booked, may I ask, is your criterion "as long as the government rules allow it, we're going", or are you going to be applying an extra criterion of your own assessment of risk? Would there be circumstances where the government allowed it but you still decided not to go?
Same as Mr P, any quarantining when we come home is a no-no even though we largely work from home now.

The place we go to is the epitome of quiet, it was impossible to get closer than 2mtr to someone even before the pandemic. The only pinch points are the airports / planes, which last year, were handled with a lot more vigour than say, Sainsburys. But then Sainsburys is essential I suppose :)
1 x

Rutabaga

Post by Rutabaga » 3 years ago

In my adult life I haven't done much flying to go on holiday anyway, for personal life reasons, unease about climate change, and cost. But now the idea of boarding a plane and sitting in that space for a few hours in the company of a bunch of strangers just strikes me as unwise and a bit stupid. I think it will be a year or two before I even consider doing it again.

I suppose the whole "must get away and have a holiday" desperation has passed me by anyway, having been freelance and working from home, when I was still working, for years, and being able to do pretty much what I wanted day-to-day, so I do find it a little difficult to understand.
1 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Regulator » 3 years ago

Greg wrote:
3 years ago
We booked for Greece (pre-lockdown) for the end of June. We went last year too. Am still hopeful.

[Posh boots btw]

I’m not sure the boots are posh - but highly recommended by those people with large feet. Butterfly/Joan has a pair and swears by them.
0 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Joan wrote:
3 years ago
Haven't made plans. Australia is sadly far out of reach, and probably will remain so for a long time.

Meanwhile, I am imagining a shepherd's hut just north of Richmond, Surrey 🤔

This is where we’re staying: https://abnb.me/pTSQVlrA3eb
0 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

JohnToo wrote:
3 years ago
For those of you with travel booked, may I ask, is your criterion "as long as the government rules allow it, we're going", or are you going to be applying an extra criterion of your own assessment of risk? Would there be circumstances where the government allowed it but you still decided not to go?
We will be staying in places where we believe we'll be at lower risk. So somewhere we have the whole property, or there’s plenty of fresh air/space (e.g. camping or on the boat).

We won’t be travelling overseas this year. I’m hoping to do the Portuguese Camino next year.
0 x

Sonic Budgie

Post by Sonic Budgie » 3 years ago

Joan wrote:
3 years ago
Haven't made plans. Australia is sadly far out of reach, and probably will remain so for a long time.

Meanwhile, I am imagining a shepherd's hut just north of Richmond, Surrey 🤔
I think it was the shepherd that was posh, not the hut.
2 x

Mister Paul

Post by Mister Paul » 3 years ago

Second Pfizer jab Thursday. A little bit of a hangover head, and woke up a few times feeling very hot in Friday night, but nothing else untoward.
1 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

I had my second jab of AZ yesterday and I woke up this morning with a slightly achey arm, which I’m hoping is a sign that an immune response is being invoked.
2 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Joan » 3 years ago

Apparently first AZ is the worse one and second Pfizer.
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Joan » 2 years ago

Shepherded the first in London (or at the least South West London) to the moderna vax. They were all surprised and pleased to be the unexpected recipients of the 3rd vaccine.

Someone asked me if anyone had reacted to it yet. I was able to inform them that the 3 people who had completed the 15 minute sit down at that point were all fine.
2 x

Mister Paul

Post by Mister Paul » 2 years ago

I know from being involved in trying to get informal carers vaccinated that the government have a habit of enabling the booking site to allow the next group to book online just before publishing the fact or even adding them to the front page. Managed to book my wife just before midnight Monday (she's 47) for her jab on Saturday. Friends who tried at 8am yesterday could only get Malvern appointments. We're in North Somerset.
2 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

@Mister Paul ,well done.

Thinking about it, of course the site is live before the announcement - they won't make the announcement until the site is live.

Yesterday, I had the opportunity to tell some friends about a site that was quiet (busy today, but quiet yesterday), which wasn't going to turn away anyone over 40. I seriously got pushback from someone say she needed more warning. I felt judged. If there is warning, they will find those on the approved list. You can only skip the queue if you are flexible. If you want warning, then wait until June.

(it wasn't really queue jumping. They were so under capacity yesterday that they wanted to find people to vaccinate. If you had got vaccinated then, you were not denying someone else the vaccine.)
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

I kinda thought we might be done with this tradition.

This is from Australia, where there is effectively zero chance that either has covid, but even so...do we really want to eat cake covered in spittle anymore?
Attachments
received_508479423484507.jpeg
1 x

The Real Ravenhurst

Post by The Real Ravenhurst » 2 years ago

Getting my first jab today! :)
5 x

The Real Ravenhurst

Post by The Real Ravenhurst » 2 years ago

I'm all Astra-Zeneca-ed up and feeling invincible.
4 x