Covid-19 Pandemic Thread

Not cycling, but still important.

Moderator: Joan

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Covid-19 Pandemic Thread

Post by Regulator » 4 years ago

I had a long ‘advanced decision’ discussion with my mother over the weekend as she’s relatively high risk. One sister (a nurse) has a relatively practical approach to this, whereas the other two sisters are struggling emotionally with the idea. Mum’s basically set me up as the arbiter if need be...

I am lucky in that my sister all live close to my mother, so she has lots of support. She’s also relatively healthy - and continuing to go to Pilates and yoga, although she’s not swimming at the moment. She’s also continuing to go to church.

We’re discussing redeployment at work. If need be, I could end up working in one of the hospitals.
0 x

JohnToo

Post by JohnToo » 4 years ago

My wife is a hospital doctor who hasn't worked for two years but has retained her GMC registration. She is willing to do some emergency training and shoulder arms during this crisis. But, surprisingly and disappointingly, there has been no approach to her at all. You would think, at the very least, the government would have started to compile a register of who was potentially available and willing.
1 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

JohnToo wrote:
4 years ago
My wife is a hospital doctor who hasn't worked for two years but has retained her GMC registration. She is willing to do some emergency training and shoulder arms during this crisis. But, surprisingly and disappointingly, there has been no approach to her at all. You would think, at the very least, the government would have started to compile a register of who was potentially available and willing.
The problem is that information is dispersed (e.g. in NHS Employers, GMC, etc.) and would require some practical co-ordination...

...something this shitshow of a government is clearly incapable of*.

*Unless it's patting each other on the back or burying adverse reports.
0 x

JohnToo

Regulator wrote:
4 years ago
The problem is that information is dispersed (e.g. in NHS Employers, GMC, etc.) and would require some practical co-ordination...

...something this shitshow of a government is clearly incapable of*.

*Unless it's patting each other on the back or burying adverse reports.
Clearly, I agree with you about the lack of competence by this government, no quarrel there.

But actually, the GMC have a list of every doctor with a Registration. No coordination required to contact every doctor and say, if you are not currently working, can we put your name on a list of doctors willing to be called up in emergency.

Or NHS could set up a simple web page for such doctors (and for that matter, nurses) to register their willingness.
0 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

JohnToo wrote:
4 years ago
Clearly, I agree with you about the lack of competence by this government, no quarrel there.

But actually, the GMC have a list of every doctor with a Registration. No coordination required to contact every doctor and say, if you are not currently working, can we put your name on a list of doctors willing to be called up in emergency.

Or NHS could set up a simple web page for such doctors (and for that matter, nurses) to register their willingness.

The problem is that to implement any system you'll need co-ordination between agencies.

GMC will have a list of those on the register - and, more importantly, with a license to practice - but they won't necessarily have the most up to date address information (something like 5-6% of the GMCs records are out date - and most of those are relating to clinicians not in practice, where the impetus to keep the GMC up to date is less urgent for the medic concerned).

The NHS Business Services Authority records tend to be more up to date, particularly for retired clinicians. They are more likely to keep NHSBSA records up to date to ensure they're getting their pensions...

There are actually steps being taken to contact former NHS staff - but it's being done on a piecemeal basis by individual trusts. It needs central co-ordination.
0 x

JohnToo

Regulator wrote:
4 years ago
....It needs central co-ordination.
We are agreed!

I recognise the practical difficulties, but you have to start somewhere....

The difference between Registered and Licensed is of course important and interesting. We've been thinking about that. Given the nature of the crisis we are most certainly approaching, I'm not sure the normal requirement for practising doctors to have a current licence to practice should necessarily stay in place.
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Joan » 4 years ago

received_209853186899007.jpeg
2 x

Greg

Post by Greg » 4 years ago

Boris Johnson seems to have the look of a man who's seen his own death.

I'm not suggesting he's hiding anything but its another example of how this shit is real.

Day 1 of working from home and I'm already sick of myself, I'm glad I don't work with me.
0 x

Lullabelle

Post by Lullabelle » 4 years ago

Today our boss suggested that anyone who can work from home should think about it, possibly starting from next week. He suggested half the office come in the other half work from home then swap over, great idea, some can do that, my colleague in sales and myself cannot do that but others can step up if either of us are off so not a problem.
0 x

Iris

Post by Iris » 4 years ago

We're now 90-odd percent WFH. There's one team who will take a bit longer, but their tests today were going well.

I'm very glad I'm not still at my previous organisation, for several reasons.
1 x

Iris

Post by Iris » 4 years ago

I'm told that another large public sector organisation with an office across the way wasn't so lucky when it tested last week...
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Joan » 4 years ago

Choice of drinks at residence association meeting
IMG_20200317_195705496.jpg
Note the social distancing
0 x

ransos

Post by ransos » 4 years ago

I've asked the entire team to work from home, and we had no-one in the office today. I spent some of today calculating the costs of the projects we're stopping or delaying. But I'm more concerned about everyone's wellbeing: the effects of anxiety and isolation will be difficult to manage.
1 x

Lullabelle

Post by Lullabelle » 4 years ago

ransos wrote:
4 years ago
I've asked the entire team to work from home, and we had no-one in the office today. I spent some of today calculating the costs of the projects we're stopping or delaying. But I'm more concerned about everyone's wellbeing: the effects of anxiety and isolation will be difficult to manage.

It is a juggling act, keeping business going but looking after the welfare of staff.
0 x

Rutabaga

Post by Rutabaga » 4 years ago

Bono has written a special song to support the Italians who are singing from their balconies:

"Yes there was silence," he droned to a trite little tune.
"Yes there was no people there."

I'm afraid I gave up at that point, so can't vouch for the rest of it.
2 x