Covid-19 Pandemic Thread

Not cycling, but still important.

Moderator: Joan

LowlifeDes

Re: Covid-19 Pandemic Thread

Post by LowlifeDes » 4 years ago

Rutabaga wrote:
4 years ago
Bono has written a special song to support the Italians who are singing from their balconies:

"Yes there was silence," he droned to a trite little tune.
"Yes there was no people there."

I'm afraid I gave up at that point, so can't vouch for the rest of it.
I look forward to his version for Ireland.
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Joan » 4 years ago

I was huge U2 fan, saw them live a few times back in the 80s.

I haven't heard this song. I don't want to. Even knowing it exists made me throw up into my mouth a bit. 🤢
0 x

LowlifeDes

Some of you might have noticed that one or two things normally to be found in the shops are mysteriously absent. One of these is liquid soap, which is easier to use than bar soap in the kitchen. Fortunately a lot of people don't know that soap exists in bars, so I got some unscented, uncoloured bath soap. I then grated a bar and melted it in about 2lt of water and stirred in about 20ml (that is a tablespoon for those who prefer) of glycerine. When it is cool, and I am happy with the consistency, I shall add some tea tree oil.
In order to enhance the hippyishness of the experience, I wore a tie dye scarf that I had made whilst doing it. This element is optional.
3 x

JohnToo

Post by JohnToo » 4 years ago

I spoke to two of the seventy-plus-year-olds who live along our road today, to offer to do shopping, but they both said they were carrying on doing shopping themselves. Not sure whether to applaud or to criticise them.
0 x

Mister Paul

Post by Mister Paul » 4 years ago

Why can't Boris make these announcements in the morning? As it is we're having to second-guess what he's going to say and plan off that, then to get a speech just after people have left the office. This leaves the staff worrying all night and us overwhelmed with questions in the morning when we're trying to catch up.
2 x

LowlifeDes

LowlifeDes wrote:
4 years ago
Some of you might have noticed that one or two things normally to be found in the shops are mysteriously absent. One of these is liquid soap, which is easier to use than bar soap in the kitchen. Fortunately a lot of people don't know that soap exists in bars, so I got some unscented, uncoloured bath soap. I then grated a bar and melted it in about 2lt of water and stirred in about 20ml (that is a tablespoon for those who prefer) of glycerine. When it is cool, and I am happy with the consistency, I shall add some tea tree oil.
In order to enhance the hippyishness of the experience, I wore a tie dye scarf that I had made whilst doing it. This element is optional.
One bar of soap made all this
IMG_20200318_191224.jpg
As this is slightly more than I have any immediate need for, I thought about offering my surplus to neighbours. I then imagined the potential reaction to being given one of those bottles while I explain that I made it myself.
5 x

Iris

Post by Iris » 4 years ago

Mister Paul wrote:
4 years ago
Why can't Boris make these announcements in the morning?
Because he's never done a decent day's work in his life.

I was looking forward to knocking off on time on Monday (first time in several weeks) when someone knocked on the door of the office I was having a meeting in and I had to first of all explain to several agitated people why my boss and I had decided not to respond immediately before realising that that was the wrong decision (and by that stage he'd changed his mind) and working with two other colleagues to draft and then send an announcement to 400 staff.

I finally got home this evening at 7 after three days in Croydon. I'm afraid I'm delighted to get 10 hours of my life back each week because I won't be travelling - and I hope to make the most of the time.
1 x

ransos

Post by ransos » 4 years ago

I've been lesson planning.
90304556_10221057269171157_3233996643154001920_n.jpg
3 x

Mister Paul

Post by Mister Paul » 4 years ago

Well my boy was supposed to be doing his A-levels this year. Looks like he's only got two days of his school life remaining.
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Mister Paul wrote:
4 years ago
Well my boy was supposed to be doing his A-levels this year. Looks like he's only got two days of his school life remaining.
The last day of school. I remember that. We all met at Kate Donnan's house for breakfast, dressed in school colours. We arrived at school for some sort of shenanigans - can't remember what, exactly - and were forbidden from entering any buildings because of previous years bad behaviour. Then me and my clique retired to Soda Sisters, because most of us were underage, and we were good girls. The next day we started the long slog towards exams.

I am glad no virus robbed me of that day which is nearly 40 years ago.

Indeed, my class reunion was supposed to be last weekend, cancelled until ...who knows?
0 x

LowlifeDes

I have just realised what the worst aspect of this home working is. I don't have a onesie for video conferencing.
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

0 x

LowlifeDes

Joan wrote:
4 years ago
I am aiming for something diametrically opposite really.
2 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

I assume amazon are still sending out onesies. They are essentials in a time of plague.

I have a large fluffy, white hoodie with pompoms on the end of the strings, and unidentifiable stains. Sadly I don't have any video calls to make.
0 x

LowlifeDes

I might be being a bit picky here but, ideally, I want one that replicates Virgil Tracy's uniform. I guess that I could live with Gordon's at a pinch.
1 x