Not cycling, but still important.

Moderator: Joan

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Vaping in public spaces?

Post by Joan » 5 years ago

Relaxing vaping laws would cut smoking deaths, say MPs

I'm not on board. I am very happy our society has finally agreed that it is not OK to expel the residue of your drug habit on the people near by you. I think it would be a bad precedent to reverse that.

Sure, do everything they can to encourage smokers to change to e-cigarettes, but I think making nicotine use a social activity again is a retrograde step. Encourage the use of it everywhere the use of cigarettes is allowed, but not in shared enclosed spaces. There are already zero-emission ways of using nicotine (patches, gum). I no more want to come home smelling of artificial vanilla than I want to come home smelling of ash .
1 x

Rocky

Re: Vaping in public spaces?

Post by Rocky » 5 years ago

I'd hate to see it become allowed in public spaces - I dislike the huge volumes of smoke and the slightly weird smells. The evidence is interesting and more nuanced than the MPs' report states. I like this summary of the issues from Nick Hopkinson (blogging about Public Health England's review of the evidence earlier this year ( https://blogs.bmj.com/bmj/2018/02/23/ni ... -evidence/ )

He states: 'vaping is not harmless and uptake by non-smokers should be discouraged. However, data so far suggest that use is confined almost entirely to current or ex-smokers. For ex-smokers, quitting e-cigarette use in the long term is also desirable, but not at the expense of relapse to smoking'. So this debate is about whether vaping is a better alternative to cigarette smoking for current smokers not whether it's safe to vape. There is also no mention of the effects on others of vaping.
0 x

Mister Paul

Post by Mister Paul » 5 years ago

I'll accept it as long as I can cough crumbs upon the inhalent in return.
0 x

Hill Wimp

Post by Hill Wimp » 5 years ago

Nooooo why should we suffer the disgusting sickly smells from those pipes?

I admit if it's cut the numbers of smokers down that is excellent but it's still anti social to make others suffer the smells. They really are gross.
0 x

Rutabaga

Post by Rutabaga » 5 years ago

Yes, it's bad enough walking down the street and getting a cloud of strawberry steam in your face, but on a bus or train it would be hideous. It's anti-social, as is eating smelly food on public transport, putting your feet on the seats, and listening to loud music, and none of those things are being campaigned for.

Anyway, I never bought into the notion that vaping was completely harmless, which I can remember an early adopter enthusiastically regaling me with years ago. Who knows what effects will come to light as time goes on?
1 x

Markymark

Post by Markymark » 5 years ago

Not enough research into the long term effects on both the users and passive inhalers. It should be classified in the same way smoking is. And then both banned from all public spaces.
0 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Regulator » 5 years ago

It’s interesting that the MPs report was released just a week after new research showing the adverse effects of vaping on non-vapers...
0 x

Hill Wimp

Post by Hill Wimp » 5 years ago

Regulator wrote:
5 years ago
It’s interesting that the MPs report was released just a week after new research showing the adverse effects of vaping on non-vapers...
What are their actual reasons for allowing it?
0 x

Fabbers

Post by Fabbers » 5 years ago

I find vaping more unpleasant than smoking in public. Can't understand why anyone would think allowing it in in public spaces is a good thing....
But then, rarely these days do I find anyone in Government of public life making any sense at all anyway....
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Oi!
Attachments
Screenshot_20180820-124045_1.png
0 x

Rutabaga

I thought that! Poacher alert.
1 x

Fabbers

Post by Fabbers » 5 years ago

Rutabaga wrote:
5 years ago
I thought that! Poacher alert.
To be fair, had thought about posting on CC before I saw it here...

However, will be interesting to see a different discussion. I expect all here agree somewhat, CC's debate will be different. Having similar topics being discussed in other forums is not against the rools is it?
0 x

Rocky

Post by Rocky » 5 years ago

I'm sure it's not against the rules......there's nothing to stop someone taking the nuggets of our arguments and posting them on CC

(nuggets - did you see what I did there?)
2 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Fabbers wrote:
5 years ago
rools
Hmm, let's see.

Welcome to Fight Club. The first rule of Fight Club is: you do not talk about Fight Club. The second rule of Fight Club is: you DO NOT talk about Fight Club! Third rule of Fight Club: if someone yells “stop!”, goes limp, or taps out, the fight is over. Fourth rule: only two guys to a fight. Fifth rule: one fight at a time, fellas. Sixth rule: the fights are bare knuckle. No shirt, no shoes, no weapons. Seventh rule: fights will go on as long as they have to. And the eighth and final rule: if this is your first time at Fight Club, you have to fight.

No, you're OK. It's not in the rules.
3 x

Rutabaga

I thought there was a rule about no fighting?
2 x