What would you stockpile?

For foodies, food snobs, gourmets, gourmands and garbage guts
Rocky

Re: What would you stockpile?

Post by Rocky » 5 years ago

Hopless500 wrote:
5 years ago
I've just bought a pile of Scampi Fries and I have lots of gin. Food and drink sorted.
Tons of craft supplies and raw fleece. Also sorted. :)
That should be everything covered then.....I’m on my way to Norfolk and I’ll pick up Reg on my way.
1 x

Dunckel

Post by Dunckel » 5 years ago

Rocky wrote:
5 years ago
That should be everything covered then.....I’m on my way to Norfolk and I’ll pick up Reg on my way.
Bagsy first dibs on the scampi fries.
3 x

Fabbers

Post by Fabbers » 5 years ago

I’ve just found what Wimpers is stockpiling....

E00AD9A1-F764-4075-AA8D-FBA71954148E.jpeg
4 x

Rocky

Post by Rocky » 5 years ago

Fabbers wrote:
5 years ago
I’ve just found what Wimpers is stockpiling....

ImageE00AD9A1-F764-4075-AA8D-FBA71954148E.jpeg
Can we borrow some? The prof tells me that we've run out and it's my job to head into Summertown now and get some.
1 x

Rutabaga

Post by Rutabaga » 5 years ago

I don't know what it is about peppercorns, but I discovered a minor hoard of my own during a kitchen tidy up. Not quite as extensive as that though!
2 x

Lullabelle

Post by Lullabelle » 5 years ago

Liquorice.
1 x

Rutabaga

Post by Rutabaga » 5 years ago

Things I have stockpiled: I am a volunteer locally with The Gleaning Network, which picks up leftover crops of many kinds for use in food banks and community kitchens. Part of the deal is that we can take home as much of the produce as we can use; free food! Last October I did two apple gleans in a wonderful orchard in Sussex, and brought home carrier bags of Braeburn apples. I have just two left; they have been delicious and keep really well in a cool shed.

In November I helped to glean several tons of pumpkins and squashes, and filled two crates in the shed with the ones I brought home. I have only lost one which went bad (the orange Halloween ones didn't get gleaned; they don't keep - they are bred to be thin-skinned and short-lived). I am wiser now as to which ones are the most delicious, so this year I'll bring home more of the grey ones. They are definitely worth buying when they're cheap and plentiful, and storing them if you have somewhere cool. People used to do this with seasonal foods, but we have lost the art of it somehow.
P1090735.JPG
4 x

Rutabaga

Post by Rutabaga » 4 years ago

Iris wrote:
5 years ago
Does the hypocritical little shit still stock HP sauce, even after his ridiculous rants about removing all non-UK EU produce? It's about as British as stroepwafels - produced by a US company in the Netherlands.
Not only do Wetherspoons offer HP sauce (in bottles on the table, not sachets, along with bottles of vinegar, and plastic bottles of mayonnaise and tomato ketchup, and ) but, despite their claim to be taking the lead in tackling plastic use and food waste, they throw the three-quarter-empty bottles into the general rubbish and replace them with new ones. You can watch staff doing this quite openly. As you say, hypocritical shit.
0 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Regulator » 4 years ago

I added another two bottles of gin to my stock last week... and my nephew brought me a third as a gift (a limited edition City of London Distillery 'Master Masons' gin, which was made for the Worshipful Company of Masons).

The City of London Distillery is situated just round the corner from our Head Office. My boss is a gin lover and we're scheming to get one of our corporate events held there...
0 x