Posh Nosh

For foodies, food snobs, gourmets, gourmands and garbage guts
Iris

Re: Posh Nosh

Post by Iris » 4 years ago

Dunckel wrote:
4 years ago
Here's the page where I posted yesterdays grub, at least over there they appreciate the food and won't make commrnts about slate service.

https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/wh ... 235/page-2
It's a cannellono. I'm surprised none of the foodie pedants have picked you up on that.
0 x

Iris

The Real Ravenhurst wrote:
4 years ago
Your mini-tartare has reminded me have one of those pink salt slabs, and every time I see it in the kitchen I consider starting a thread about Your Most Useless Middle-Class Kitchen Purchase.
How did I manage to make it to this stage of middle class life without even having heard of pink salt cooking? I feel I'm missing out on an essential experience.
2 x

The Real Ravenhurst

Post by The Real Ravenhurst » 4 years ago

Iris wrote:
4 years ago
How did I manage to make it to this stage of middle class life without even having heard of pink salt cooking? I feel I'm missing out on an essential experience.
You'll be telling us next that you're not set up for sous-vide chez W.
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Joan » 4 years ago

Iris wrote:
4 years ago
That was my reaction, too. I sadly feel it is time to hand over my middle class badge.

You can keep yours, because you know the singular of cannelloni. Interesting, I never heard an Italian complain about "I'm off to Lygon Street to get a gelati".
0 x

Iris

The Real Ravenhurst wrote:
4 years ago
You'll be telling us next that you're not set up for sous-vide chez W.
We investigated but decided that the stupid price was too stupid. We do have a slow cooker, which is simply a more versatile sous vide.
2 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Joan » 4 years ago

Iris wrote:
4 years ago
We investigated but decided that the stupid price was too stupid. We do have a slow cooker, which is simply a more versatile sous vide.
That's it! Hand over you middle class badge!

That's not the correct excuse, the correct excuse is that you are too concerned about environmental plastics to choose a method of cooking that requires single use plastic.

I google "middle class badge". Do you think this what it would look like?

0 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Regulator » 4 years ago

Iris wrote:
4 years ago
We came to the same conclusion when we considered getting a sous vide cooker. We also have a pressure cooker which is excellent as well.
0 x

JohnToo

Post by JohnToo » 4 years ago

So The Real Ravenshurst hyphenates sous vide, Regulator italicises it, but Iris does neither. What does that reveal about middle classness?
2 x

The Real Ravenhurst

Post by The Real Ravenhurst » 4 years ago

JohnToo wrote:
4 years ago
So The Real Ravenshurst hyphenates sous vide, Regulator italicises it, but Iris does neither. What does that reveal about middle classness?
TRR should not have hyphenated it, because it wasn't an adjective, and now feels crushed. Iris is so middle class he doesn't need to prove it? Or something like that...
1 x

Iris

Mixed cured meat plus a crostino of radicchio and cheese plus squacquerone (very soft very young cream cheese) with gnocchi fritti (fried dough) and piadine (a rich flatbread leavened with baking powder)

Strozzapreti with light sausage, tomato and fried aubergine

Steak, grilled and served with rocket, flakes of parmesan and balsamic

Crema catalana (sic) with nougat and raspberry

Two spritzes - one Aperol, one Campari
A bottle of Romagnola Sangiovese
Two bottles of water
Coffees and amari

Served in between a 6th century church with a 16th century facade, its baptistry (still with Arian heresy mosaic decoration) and the wall of its bishop's palace.

All for €101 for two.

And if you ask me very nicely I'll tell you some of the other highlights, foodie and otherwise.
3 x

Dunckel

Post by Dunckel » 4 years ago

Iris wrote:
4 years ago
Mixed cured meat plus a crostino of radicchio and cheese plus squacquerone (very soft very young cream cheese) with gnocchi fritti (fried dough) and piadine (a rich flatbread leavened with baking powder)

Strozzapreti with light sausage, tomato and fried aubergine

Steak, grilled and served with rocket, flakes of parmesan and balsamic

Crema catalana (sic) with nougat and raspberry

Two spritzes - one Aperol, one Campari
A bottle of Romagnola Sangiovese
Two bottles of water
Coffees and amari

Served in between a 6th century church with a 16th century facade, its baptistry (still with Arian heresy mosaic decoration) and the wall of its bishop's palace.

All for €101 for two.

And if you ask me very nicely I'll tell you some of the other highlights, foodie and otherwise.
Very nice, any link to the restaurant website, I do like to drool.
0 x

Iris

Dunckel wrote:
4 years ago
Very nice, any link to the restaurant website, I do like to drool.
https://www.al45.it/

Solo in Italiano.

Though frankly it could have been any restaurant in the last fortnight - the food has been excellent. Pizzas are a bit stodgy, and ironically the mortadella in its home of Bologna was the least interesting.

Ferrara had probably the standout dish - a steamed pumpkin pudding dressed with a parmesan cream and balsamic in the style of a dessert dressed with creme anglaise and chocolate sauce. At home a clever chef would have served it twice on a menu at over a tenner a pop. We got it (once) for about a fiver.
2 x

Dunckel

Post by Dunckel » 4 years ago

Iris wrote:
4 years ago
https://www.al45.it/

Solo in Italiano.

Though frankly it could have been any restaurant in the last fortnight - the food has been excellent. Pizzas are a bit stodgy, and ironically the mortadella in its home of Bologna was the least interesting.

Ferrara had probably the standout dish - a steamed pumpkin pudding dressed with a parmesan cream and balsamic in the style of a dessert dressed with creme anglaise and chocolate sauce. At home a clever chef would have served it twice on a menu at over a tenner a pop. We got it (once) for about a fiver.
Very interesting looking menu, thanks.
0 x