Food stories

For foodies, food snobs, gourmets, gourmands and garbage guts
Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Food stories

Post by Joan » 4 years ago

What you have cooked or eaten (or will be cooking or eating).

Meanwhile™ for the tummy....
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Last night's dinner

No pics of the food, but last night I went with my neighbours/friends to a local restaurant for our semi regular byo dinner. It was an interesting evening, as I decided to stick with Ocsober, so my BYO was this
(it's actually not too bad, but despite the rave reviews on Amazon, I would not mistake it for prosecco)

Anyway, we headed went to a Lebanese restaurant on the edge of the Hounslow high street. I was sitting next to my delightful neighbour, Laurence, without a beret this time, but still a gourmand and gourmet.
Joan wrote:
4 years ago
The Real Ravenhurst wrote:
4 years ago
And you can't see the French beef stew but the guy serving it is a good advertisement for it.
He suggested we get meze to share for our end of the table, and that seemed a fine idea. He asked me to suggest a few dishes, but little did I know how many he had already suggested.

There should be a photo. For a while only 3 of the four of us was eating at a time, because the fourth was stuck holding the dish they had just served themselves from because there was literally only room on the table for one less dish than we had ordered. It was a great moment when we finished one dish and handed it to our waitress.

At the end I ate until I could hardly move, as did my companions, and yet there was a shameful amount of food waste. Because it was an unpretentious restaurant that hadn't redecorated in 30 years, the total was less than £17 each + gratuity.

I'm currently playing with the quantified life (probably more about that later), but this was the first time in a fortnight I haven't been able to log my food reasonably accurately. I couldn't leave it off my diary, as they would show yesterday as a calorie deficit, so called it "meze blowout", and guesstimated it as 1500kcal, which is greater than my estimated basal metabolic rate. I'm a kg heavier than yesterday, so it might be a close guess.

TL;DR: 😋
2 x

Lullabelle

Re: Food stories: what you have cooked or eaten (or will be cooking or eating)

Post by Lullabelle » 4 years ago

P_20191103_175841.jpg
For dinner this evening Dunckle made coq au vin.
1 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Regulator » 4 years ago

Mr R and I are doing the Our Path diet (recommended by the NHS).

Tonight I shall be making cottage pie with cauliflower mash. Tomorrow will be coconut dahl.
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

When I was invited to allotment bonfire (wow, that is a very British phrase), I was asked to bring ANZAC Biscuits, which I'd made before. I naturally searched The Australia Women's Weekly for a recipe, which I made on Saturday. They did what they always do, which is spread to cover the entire pan, basically I made two giant cooking sheet sized oat pancakes, that had kind of stuck to the baking parchment. I thought I'd make another attempt on Sunday after my ride, but SWR put an end to that. I picked up a packet of oatmeal biscuits, but when I got home and re-examined (and tasted) the cooking disaster, I found though it looked kind of bad, it tasted great (sugar and butter and oats and coconut make a tasty treat: who'd have guessed?) and with the lighting at a bonfire, the taste is the important thing. I did my best to peel off most of the paper, snapped them into biscuit sized pieces, packed them into an off brand Tupperware and headed out.

The allotments had bought a generator, so the dessert table was bathed in shaming light and covered with all sorts of delightful treats, so I dumped mine on the edge of the table and slunk away. When I returned to see how many I was taking home I saw there were many delights left on the table, but the Anzacs had been thoroughly scoffed.

Yay for sugar and fat!

I sadly don't have a before picture, but I do have an after one.

The mini oat biscuits are destined for a food bank....probably!
Attachments
IMG-20191103-WA0001.jpeg
1 x

Lullabelle

Regulator wrote:
4 years ago
Mr R and I are doing the Our Path diet (recommended by the NHS).

Tonight I shall be making cottage pie with cauliflower mash. Tomorrow will be coconut dahl.

Never heard of that, is it worth looking into?
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Lullabelle wrote:
4 years ago
Never heard of that, is it worth looking into?
+1

I spent a few minutes on their website earlier today, but I am not exactly sure what they offer.

I was reminded of a Now Show audience question, something like this:
What have you bought on impulse? a scale that posts your weight to the internet.
And why do you regret it? it posts your weight on the internet!!
2 x

Iris

Post by Iris » 4 years ago

Before this turns into a "What didn't you eat" thread, yesterday's lunch:

I had rabbit liver, cooked with bacon and mushrooms in a sticky, savoury, gooey sauce. She had fishcakes ("neonati") made out of something that was probably far too young to be landed.

We then both had seafood linguine, which turned out to be drenched not only in chunks of seafood (mussels, prawn, octopus, squid) but also in a broth that was almost a French seafood soup.

And we shared a cannolo with ice-cream.

On Friday for lunch, before getting caught in a near-monsoon storm I had a large bowl of rabbit stewed with belly pork, sausage and potatoes in a tomato sauce. There was a large cheeseburger on the other side of the table. While we were waiting for what we'd actually ordered they wandered over with a plate of bruschetta and bean paste. And then a dozen snails in a cumin and cinnamon spiced tomato sauce. And afterwards, with coffee, a plate of roasted monkey nuts.

I've got a whole week of that sort of eating to relate...

This evening I had a very small salad.
2 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Joan wrote:
4 years ago
The mini oat biscuits are destined for a food bank....probably!
They sat in my kitchen singing their siren song to me for a week - but I am watching my sat fat, I don't want to waste my daily allowance on this - so dropped them off the next time I went past a supermarket.

But what I saw filled my heart. Someone gave two Cadbury advent calendars. It's just lovely that someone thought to help two kids enjoy the excitement building up to Christmas.

IMG_20191107_163248003.jpg
1 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

In contrast, who is this for? If you have a big enough fridge for this large box, are you likely to want 24 pick and mix cheeses? And if you have a smaller fridge, taking the cheese out of the cardboard just ruins the whole thing - and if it was me, they'd all be snacked on before the 3rd December.
3 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Food stories

Market day
Attachments
IMG_20191109_230058120.jpg
3 x

ransos

Post by ransos » 4 years ago

I'm slow roasting a shoulder of lamb over boulangere potatoes. The smell of garlic and rosemary is making me very hungry.

I also, for no great reason, decided to open a bottle of something special:
IMG_20191110_130141088_HDR.jpg
1 x

JohnToo

Post by JohnToo » 4 years ago

20191110_102908.jpg
Delivered to our daughter this morning.
1 x

Lullabelle

Joan wrote:
4 years ago
They sat in my kitchen singing their siren song to me for a week - but I am watching my sat fat, I don't want to waste my daily allowance on this - so dropped them off the next time I went past a supermarket.

But what I saw filled my heart. Someone gave two Cadbury advent calendars. It's just lovely that someone thought to help two kids enjoy the excitement building up to Christmas.

IMG_20191107_163248003.jpg
Our local Sainsbury are collecting food donations, trouble is the box is right in front of the window so when the sun shines it is directly on the food...
0 x

The Real Ravenhurst

Post by The Real Ravenhurst » 4 years ago

ransos wrote:
4 years ago
I'm slow roasting a shoulder of lamb over boulangere potatoes. The smell of garlic and rosemary is making me very hungry.

I also, for no great reason, decided to open a bottle of something special:

IMG_20191110_130141088_HDR.jpg
OMFG Boulangère potatoes!!!! I want your dinner.
1 x