Intermittent Fasting

For foodies, food snobs, gourmets, gourmands and garbage guts
Lullabelle

Re: Intermittent Fasting

Post by Lullabelle » 4 years ago

LowlifeDes wrote:
4 years ago
It still occurred.

Yes but I am recording my walks to achieve targets so not having that one is a bit of a bu**er.
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Joan » 4 years ago

Lullabelle wrote:
4 years ago
Yes but I am recording my walks to achieve targets so not having that one is a bit of a bu**er.
I am such a nerd that:

I wrote a little program on my phone to record a GPX file every time I move. So if I forget to use strava, I can find those GPX files and upload them.

Super nerd and quite a lot of work, but it seems worthwhile to me.

#saddo
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Alternatively Google Fit, Apple Health, Samsung Health will record your activity without your explicit intervention.

You could turn one of them on (depending on your device). Still nerdy, but not quite as nerdy and much less work.
0 x

Lullabelle

Joan wrote:
4 years ago
Alternatively Google Fit, Apple Health, Samsung Health will record your activity without your explicit intervention.

You could turn one of them on (depending on your device). Still nerdy, but not quite as nerdy and much less work.

To be honest I don't want to spend money on anything fancy, no need, besides I am not very techy...
I had to go to the post office for company business. Left half hour early and got a lift, walked the rest of the way home-not much but better than nothing,
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

jollygoodthen wrote:
4 years ago
16/8, if that counts, though it doesn’t feel like much of a fast. In practice it's often 18/6. I read that Prince Charles only eats one meal a day. That would be hard.

I did it partly to sync with my wife, who wanted to give it a go. She’s actually a bit underweight, so it wasn’t about that; she has a couple of problems which it’s reputed to help, including IBS. And it did: she was pain-free for months. I don’t want to get too much into her medical stuff, but she’s since had to go off it. I’ve been continuing, on and off, mostly on. It’s very easy for me as I’m never that hungry in the mornings anyway. I also have a lot more energy for rides when I don’t eat first, and I tend to do them early.

My weight has always fluctuated. Currently I’m at least a stone more than I’d like. I can’t say it has done anything much for me. The only thing that worked and that I felt good about, was sticking religiously to 3 meals a day, no snacks, and preferably no sugar. If only I could keep to that.
You had me worried with the Prince Charles remark. I am a staunch republican - and I also don't like him very much - so try not emulate any of his behaviours. The last thing we both had in common was liking the Goon Show. Luckily Google says that though he skips lunch, he has an egg in the morning, so phew!

I've done OMAD a few times and a 24 hour fast twice, the first time involuntarily when the Indian restaurant took forever to serve food, and I was trying to stick to low carb so couldn't touch the poppadoms and chutney.

I broke my low carb last night with haggis! :D it was the first time this year I have eaten oats. Oops!

Sugar - you gave apples, but not ketchup? Alrighty then. :o I have to confess I've never had a pop tart in my life. At this point, every carb is treasured, I probably never will. I don't think I am sad about that.

I'm still generally trying low carb and IF, 16:8 or more. More today. I'm hungry now.
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Lullabelle wrote:
4 years ago
To be honest I don't want to spend money on anything fancy, no need, besides I am not very techy...
I had to go to the post office for company business. Left half hour early and got a lift, walked the rest of the way home-not much but better than nothing,
No need to spend money. You just open Google Fit on your phone, configure it and from then on it will record your activity without you telling it. If you set goals (or leave on the defaults) it beeps you in the evening to let know you achieved them. Beyond that, it's very quiet. It seems to be very reliable in separating walking from running from cycling, and ignoring driving and public transport. You even get little maps of your walks.

Apple/Samsung health do a similar thing, but I haven't used them.
0 x

jollygoodthen

Post by jollygoodthen » 4 years ago

Joan wrote:
4 years ago
Sugar - you gave apples, but not ketchup?
It was a fast for the taste buds on the tip of my tongue, where the sugar fiends reside. Plus my system isn’t that fond of fructose anyway, as I’ve found to its distress over the years.

I think I could've kept going with it – the cravings were gone – except I just got bored.
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

jollygoodthen wrote:
4 years ago
It was a fast for the taste buds on the tip of my tongue, where the sugar fiends reside. Plus my system isn’t that fond of fructose anyway, as I’ve found to its distress over the years.

I think I could've kept going with it – the cravings were gone – except I just got bored.
Do you really think the only part of your body that craves sugar is your tongue? 🤣 It's not, and that is the easiest part to dissuade. Food without sugar is not boring. The fact you think it is, was your body pulling out all stops to make you eat sugar again. Or just keep eating it, if you only stopped eating things that tasted sweet.

There are a ton of savoury dishes that a full of sugar. Ketchup is red sugar, disguised with salt. If you kept eating that, then you didn't give up sugar. Your tongue may think you did, but your endocrine systems know better.

Sucrose (table sugar) is 50% fructose. HFCS is 55% fructose. Giving up apples but continuing to eat other products that contain one or the other is just fooling yourself.
0 x

jollygoodthen

Post by jollygoodthen » 4 years ago

I simply wanted to prove to myself that I could do without the usual junk food for what previously seemed to me to be an impossible length of time. I read labels quite carefully. The ketchup thing was a joke; simple acknowledgement that I wasn't indeed 100% sugar free. Good luck with your own efforts.
1 x

Lullabelle

I know I said I wasn't going to but a fitness tracker is on it's way to our house.
My laziness, eating habits, weight gain are out of control, so now it is lighter in the evenings I want to get my running shoes back on at the beginning of March. For my physical and mental health I really need to kick myself in the pants.
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Good for you. Lucky February is so short. I think it's the hardest month to get through.

Here or Australia. Hot weather wears you out in a different way.
0 x

Lullabelle

Joan wrote:
4 years ago
Good for you. Lucky February is so short. I think it's the hardest month to get through.

Here or Australia. Hot weather wears you out in a different way.
February is busy, comedy festival, cheese club, charcuterie evening and gigs.
1 x

Lullabelle

Well, this healthier thing is temporarily on hold. Awful weather so no evening or weekend walking, last Wednesday I came down with a heavy cold and stayed at home Thursday and Friday so have done next to nothing for 4 days.
All starts again from March 1st.
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Lullabelle wrote:
4 years ago
Well, this healthier thing is temporarily on hold. Awful weather so no evening or weekend walking, last Wednesday I came down with a heavy cold and stayed at home Thursday and Friday so have done next to nothing for 4 days.
All starts again from March 1st.
That's a good plan! Get the lurgy out of the way before Covid-19 descends!

GWS ♥
1 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

So my weight loss has stalled, but I had a sudden thought, and pulled an on LBD from the 80s out of the back of my closet. It fits!

Only I problem is with my current hairstyle, I look like Swiss Toni in drag. Thank you @Sonic Budgie for putting that image in my head.
2 x