Intermittent Fasting

For foodies, food snobs, gourmets, gourmands and garbage guts
Lullabelle

Re: Intermittent Fasting

Post by Lullabelle » 4 years ago

Joan wrote:
4 years ago
That's amazing. It's not that far from my cycling distance.

Have you found a pub with a Labrador by a fire on your walks?

😁

Sadly no but there is a great coffee shop to walk to.
1 x

Lullabelle

Joan wrote:
4 years ago
That's amazing. It's not that far from my cycling distance.

Have you found a pub with a Labrador by a fire on your walks?

😁

I am looking to sell my bike, haven't ridden it for a few years and not likely to in the future.
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Joan » 4 years ago

Lullabelle wrote:
4 years ago
I am looking to sell my bike, haven't ridden it for a few years and not likely to in the future.
Ah. That makes me a little sad. But I hope it doesn't make you unhappy.

Yes, if you are not going to use it, pass it on. Better for you, the environment and probably the person who buys it.

I think walking is just as good as cycling for health, and better if you walk the same distances you would have cycled. The only thing you don't get walking is the short burst of high intensity as you push over a hill, though I believe there is such a thing as HIIT walking, if you want to ruin a good walk by turning it into a zumba class.
1 x

JohnToo

Post by JohnToo » 4 years ago

As we start planning this year's holidays (us both being notionally retired so having considerable freedom), I'm noticing an interesting trend. We have a couple of cycling holidays in the making but where the cycling is a facilitator of the sightseeing we want to do rather than ambitious in its own right. Whereas, for things that will give me a sense of challenge and then satisfaction from achievement, I am increasingly thinking about longer day walks rather than longer day cycles.

If I was given a choice of LeJog by cycle or the West Highland Way by foot, I'm not quite sure which I would choose...
0 x

Lullabelle

Joan wrote:
4 years ago
Ah. That makes me a little sad. But I hope it doesn't make you unhappy.

Yes, if you are not going to use it, pass it on. Better for you, the environment and probably the person who buys it.

I think walking is just as good as cycling for health, and better if you walk the same distances you would have cycled. The only thing you don't get walking is the short burst of high intensity as you push over a hill, though I believe there is such a thing as HIIT walking, if you want to ruin a good walk by turning it into a zumba class.
Originally I used it to commute, the company moved to premises within walking distance so a bike isn't necessary. Never enjoyed cycling to be honest and it is taking up room so may as well.
0 x

Lullabelle

Set myself a target to walk for 100km in January, I just notched up 100.5km.
5 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Regulator » 4 years ago

I’ve set myself the goal of doing all five Parkruns this February. First one down.
3 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Joan » 4 years ago

Regulator wrote:
4 years ago
I’ve set myself the goal of doing all five Parkruns this February. First one down.
Good idea. Now, what time is Park Run? Oh 😔
1 x

Iris

Post by Iris » 4 years ago

Since 6th Jan I've done 39,215 steps, of which 13.5km have been measured in walks and 28.9 km in runs. I've ridden 17.8km, plus a bit not recorded, and done 3.5 hours of weight training. I've lost 4.4kg. This morning was the first time I missed a weekly parkrun since early January (when we were being lazy) and the second since early December. I reckoned that resting rather than exercising was a better way to shake off a horrible cold.
4 x

Lullabelle

Pooh! Went for a walk earlier, set my strava, got home and it didn't record my mileage, accidently paused it *facepalm*
0 x

LowlifeDes

Post by LowlifeDes » 4 years ago

Lullabelle wrote:
4 years ago
Pooh! Went for a walk earlier, set my strava, got home and it didn't record my mileage, accidently paused it *facepalm*
It still occurred.
1 x

Iris

Post by Iris » 4 years ago

And after spending yesterday sitting on my bum to recover from manflu I got up from the sofa to go bed and discovered that my leg was extremely sore, as bad as it was a week ago. Which meant that the exercise I wanted to get today didn't happen.

I have checked the symptoms for DVT, and I've got none of them other than a sore leg!

I've got very tight calves and hamstrings, so I think it's connected to that. Stretching here we come.
0 x

jollygoodthen

Post by jollygoodthen » 4 years ago

16/8, if that counts, though it doesn’t feel like much of a fast. In practice it's often 18/6. I read that Prince Charles only eats one meal a day. That would be hard.

I did it partly to sync with my wife, who wanted to give it a go. She’s actually a bit underweight, so it wasn’t about that; she has a couple of problems which it’s reputed to help, including IBS. And it did: she was pain-free for months. I don’t want to get too much into her medical stuff, but she’s since had to go off it. I’ve been continuing, on and off, mostly on. It’s very easy for me as I’m never that hungry in the mornings anyway. I also have a lot more energy for rides when I don’t eat first, and I tend to do them early.

My weight has always fluctuated. Currently I’m at least a stone more than I’d like. I can’t say it has done anything much for me. The only thing that worked and that I felt good about, was sticking religiously to 3 meals a day, no snacks, and preferably no sugar. If only I could keep to that.
1 x

Sonic Budgie

Post by Sonic Budgie » 4 years ago

jollygoodthen wrote:
4 years ago
I read that Prince Charles only eats one meal a day. That would be hard.
I dunno, swans are pretty hefty, I'd imagine they'd be quite filling.
2 x

Lullabelle

jollygoodthen wrote:
4 years ago
16/8, if that counts, though it doesn’t feel like much of a fast. In practice it's often 18/6. I read that Prince Charles only eats one meal a day. That would be hard.

I did it partly to sync with my wife, who wanted to give it a go. She’s actually a bit underweight, so it wasn’t about that; she has a couple of problems which it’s reputed to help, including IBS. And it did: she was pain-free for months. I don’t want to get too much into her medical stuff, but she’s since had to go off it. I’ve been continuing, on and off, mostly on. It’s very easy for me as I’m never that hungry in the mornings anyway. I also have a lot more energy for rides when I don’t eat first, and I tend to do them early.

My weight has always fluctuated. Currently I’m at least a stone more than I’d like. I can’t say it has done anything much for me. The only thing that worked and that I felt good about, was sticking religiously to 3 meals a day, no snacks, and preferably no sugar. If only I could keep to that.

Unfortunately I like food too much.
0 x