TV/Streaming shows

Ephemera and whimsy
Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Re: TV/Streaming shows

Post by Joan » 4 years ago

Lunatics: It's a series by Australian, Chris Lilley. His "Summer Heights High" was brilliant. Without artifice, he played (in his 30s) a teenage girl. A hot teenage girl. Who was also a Queen Bee. And I was convinced despite him looking like a middle aged man. My brother reports when he used that character on talk back radio, angry callers complained about the entitled school girl. But I got halfway through the first episode of Lunatics, and bailed.

At that point I googled for reviews to find out if my impression was right. I found a guardian review which backed up my initial impression, but just now googling found two more recent reviews that I agree with even more.

You should probably keep an eye out for Summer Heights High, but is probably not as good as I remember.

Ugh. "Probably".
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Dead to me

I've just watched the pilot of Dead To Me. It is (or seems to be) the story of two grieving women who feel alone until they become friends. I was moved and loved the ups and downs. I was ready recommend it, but

(mild spoiler)
alluding to the end of the pilot, but not explicit
Show
it took a very dark twist in the final moments of the pilot that I think takes it into a different genre, probably a thriller, and I don't think it's for me. I will watch a couple more episodes, and see.
It stars Christina Applegate, Linda Cardenelli and featured - bizarrely - Ed Asner, who was old before I was born.
0 x

Greg

Post by Greg » 4 years ago

Current watches...

Bodies
GOT
Series 2 of Killing Eve (illegal stream)
1 x

Rutabaga

Post by Rutabaga » 4 years ago

I just accidentally saw a bit of the Eurovision semifinals - Australia's entry featured three women balancing on bendy sticks, it was hilarious.
1 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

🤣 I think Australians have a special love for Eurovision, partly because they watch it Sunday lunchtime. How mad is that?

Haven't caught up with this year's entries.
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

I've just binged Lucifer, season 4. It is easily the stupidest premise ever: the prince of darkness moves to Los Angeles, and helps the LAPD solve crimes. It's like a joke**. But boy, I really love it......Lucifer is played by Tom Ellis, you may recognise him as Gary, Miranda's hot boyfriend. He is unbelievably charming and charismatic (something I didn't recognise on Miranda). He is also much more (and sorry, but I can't think of a better word) swole.

It's taken the Judeo-Christian Pantheon, and Wagnerfied it into a high concept soap opera. The Ring Cycle on Premium Cable (I don't think it's on premium cable, but that sounds catchier).

I suspect I would be the only fan amongst us, but as soon as I finished the last episode, I immediately googled to see if they are planning season 5. Looking good.

**it doesn't just look like a joke, it's a close mirror to something 30 Rock did, when Jack was trying to tank NBC (the executive character was making awful programs to ruin the network for some reason I don't remember). It wasn't Lucifer solving crimes, but God, played by Alec Baldwin (of course).

God Cop
0 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Regulator » 4 years ago

I misread that...
Joan wrote:
4 years ago
I've just banged Lucifer, ...

:-[
0 x

Iris

Post by Iris » 4 years ago

I was wondering what a monotheistic pantheon would look like. But then I've got an annoyingly literal and pedantic mind at times
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Regulator wrote:
4 years ago
I misread that...

:-[
Well, I would obviously ...

Iris wrote:
4 years ago
I was wondering what a monotheistic pantheon would look like. But then I've got an annoyingly literal and pedantic mind at times
Ah. I can see your confusion. It's based on a comic by Neil Gaiman so it's not exactly scriptural. I'd put God more as a Jupiter/Zeus type. The angels are more like lesser gods, and then of course there is Mrs God, the mother of all creation, aka mum. You remember reading about her, right? As Isaac Asimov said about universes, two is not a logical number. I'm sure it is equally true about gods.
0 x

Rutabaga

So, no more Jeremy Kyle show. I wonder what he will be doing next, giving that ITV say they will still be 'working with him' in the future?
0 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Regulator » 4 years ago

Rutabaga wrote:
4 years ago
So, no more Jeremy Kyle show. I wonder what he will be doing next, giving that ITV say they will still be 'working with him' in the future?
An Insider's Guide to UKIP and the Brexit Party? He could use the same participants and audience... they'd only need to change the titles and scenery.
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

I've never seen JK, but this snippet is horrifying. Polygraphs are little better than a coin toss, they only measure emotional arousal and it's quite clear this man was very agitated. I am not surprised he "failed" the test.

I wonder how many other lives they have ruined by "proving" them to be liars with this junk science? In fact, I wonder how many have met early deaths before this unambiguous tragedy occurred? The decline that ends with someone drinking themselves to death on the streets often starts with a relationship breakdown.

I think it's right they haven't made JK an escape goat™. The producers and the executives at ITV knew what the show was about. They are as guilty as he is.

PS: You can embed anything!!
0 x

Greg

Post by Greg » 4 years ago

Am glad its now off air, could never stand to watch it, car crash of a show goading and exploiting the vulnerable. Apparently guests were put up in 5 star hotels the night before, all expenses paid and therapy / support was provided afterwards. So what? It was purely for "entertainment" no altruism involved. I cant quite hate the man himself he was merely playing a part but then I got thinking about Louis Theroux, who kind of does the same, but with sympathy and without the baiting. Hopefully (for JK) they give him a proper job now so he can shake off the bullying schtick.
0 x

Rutabaga

Regulator wrote:
4 years ago
An Insider's Guide to UKIP and the Brexit Party? He could use the same participants and audience... they'd only need to change the titles and scenery.
I realise that you have a huge amount of scorn for anyone who supports UKIP and Brexit (and, to a certain extent, so do I), but I think your remarks about the Kyle Show participants and audience are wide of the mark.

However incredulous we might be about this, it seems that people volunteered to be in either one of those groups in the sadly vain hope of getting help for their life problems, often if not always problems based in poor mental health. Then they were baited, manipulated, deceived, and closely edited to fit a production agenda that has justifiably been described as a 'theatre of cruelty'.

Reading this article, from 2008 (a mere three years after the programme first aired) it's clear that, from the start, many people saw the phenomenon for what it was, yet it continued and became more extreme over the following eleven years. https://www.theguardian.com/media/2008/ ... television

Perhaps Kyle is pitching a new fly-on-the-wall show called Bedlam, there are strong historical precedents after all.
2 x

Rutabaga

Greg wrote:
4 years ago
Am glad its now off air, could never stand to watch it, car crash of a show goading and exploiting the vulnerable. Apparently guests were put up in 5 star hotels the night before, all expenses paid and therapy / support was provided afterwards. So what? It was purely for "entertainment" no altruism involved. I cant quite hate the man himself he was merely playing a part but then I got thinking about Louis Theroux, who kind of does the same, but with sympathy and without the baiting. Hopefully (for JK) they give him a proper job now so he can shake off the bullying schtick.
I reckon he's made a very good living out of bullying and manipulation, over the years. He doesn't seem to have any moral compass at all, and I hope they decide not to employ him again.
0 x