In the news...

Not cycling, but still important.

Moderator: Joan

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

In the news...

Post by Joan » 4 years ago

A thread like "Meanwhile" but for slightly more weighty matters.
0 x

Rocky

Re: In the news...

Post by Rocky » 4 years ago

Joan wrote:
4 years ago
.......more weighty matters.
I thought I'd ask if you meant me.....before Reg and Duncks ask.
1 x

Rutabaga

Post by Rutabaga » 4 years ago

How about people who don't realise that their idea of 'a joke' can be seen in other ways, and lose their job as a result despite 'apologising' and saying they didn't realise? Danny Baker's just the latest example; I was reminded of those hilarious messages left on Andrew Sachs' answering machine about his daughter (lots of other examples are available though). The retribution was swift this time, so maybe people are realising, painfully slowly, that it's not easy to get away with thoughtless laddish behaviour any more?
0 x

LowlifeDes

Post by LowlifeDes » 4 years ago

I am told that Danny Baker has claimed that he would have posted the same for any royal birth, despite never having previously done so. Apologising and shutting up could have saved him from sacrificing that last shred of dignity.
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

😁

I created this thread for the Danny Baker story. But I was going to include the tweet, and I wanted to wrap it in spoilers and spoilers were broken .... So I had to fix that first, and you lot are way ahead of me!

I grew up blissfully unaware of the black/ape trope. I really have never heard it in real life. My closest personal experience of it is from my Wigan Athletic supporting friends who told me in some distress about bananas being thrown on to the pitch at African players. So, with Danny Baker he is either deeply racist or completely clueless about the sport he makes his money from. He in fact knows less about it than Google.

Either way, they were right to sack him.
Attachments
Screenshot_20190509-130017.png
0 x

Greg

Post by Greg » 4 years ago

And hes still digging...

0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

"My turn in the barrel"? Yup, that's a deep hole. Even if you didn't realise it was a racist meme, you know it now. You're not being shamed for something you didn't do.
0 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Regulator » 4 years ago

Now the Beeb's got rid of him, they have some room for someone with some talent...
0 x

Greg

Danny Baker, who probably isn't a racist, gets sacked by the BBC on the same day as Nigel Farage, who is a racist, is invited to appear (twice) on the BBC*.

* Question Time and Politics Live
1 x

Dunckel

Post by Dunckel » 4 years ago

If you are a tory politician then you can behave as badly as you like, if you are a minor tv personality and you make a bad error of judgement then the press and the twitterati demand your head.

Meanwhile today I saw the Police give a homeless man a ticket for sitting on a bench minding his own business.

The whole thing is twisted.
0 x

Rutabaga

It was more than 'a bad error of judgement' though, it didn't involve any judgement at all beyond 'I'm everyone's favourite cheeky lad so I can say whatever I like and people will still love me'. He still can't quite believe that they don't. The bit that needs to change is the bit where these people actually pause and think about what they do.

I'm afraid I don't get the 'Forest Friends' thing - which bit of what happened to the one with the broken arm involved a conscious choice? None of what happened to Baker was just bad luck.
0 x

Rutabaga

Greg wrote:
4 years ago
Danny Baker, who probably isn't a racist,
What he did was deeply racist. Forgetting that someone is black because, well, they're not very dark, is just about as racist as you can get. White people who tell black friends that they forget they are black are not paying them a compliment, although they might like to believe that's what they are doing.
1 x

Greg

0 x

Rutabaga

Link isn't working for me.
0 x