Touring vineyards in France

Everything to do with cycling
JohnToo

Re: Touring vineyards in France

Post by JohnToo » 4 years ago

20190510_144558.jpg
Well, for better or for worse it ended up being the Loire.

Our prior vision of sampling the produce of local vineyards didn't quite encompass this hi tech: you pay E6 for a glass with a chip in it, that you then place the glass under one of the over 100 dispensers, that each dispense a slug of a different local wine, and the chip keeps count (you get 7 samples).
3 x

JohnToo

Joan wrote:
5 years ago

The hotel we stayed at which was very basic, but lovely in it's own way told me they the cyclists that departed as we arrived at to checkout had left most of their luggage with the hotelier, who was sending it on (via cab, I assume) to their next hotel.

That's what we're doing. It makes sightseeing at the chateaux so much easier. We've done proper touring holidays before and will again; this is more a sightseeing holiday facilitated by bicycles.

Blois today, Amboise tomorrow.
3 x

JohnToo

Amboise. Home to one of the most beautiful chateaux (Chenonceaux). And one of the most vicious Jack Russel terriers. Hence the current sojourn in the local A&E. We know it's not likely to be rabid but the teeth marks on my wife's leg are quite impressive.
1 x

Rocky

Post by Rocky » 4 years ago

JohnToo wrote:
4 years ago
Amboise. Home to one of the most beautiful chateaux (Chenonceaux). And one of the most vicious Jack Russel terriers. Hence the current sojourn in the local A&E. We know it's not likely to be rabid but the teeth marks on my wife's leg are quite impressive.
Oh no!! I hope she heals quickly.
1 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Joan » 4 years ago

ARGHH!

Tetanus and antibiotics at the least. Hope she's not too poorly or miserable.

Lovely lovely town. Fingers crossed that you get to enjoy it.
1 x

JohnToo

We got to explore a bit last night. This afternoon was, ironically, our only formal prebooked wine tour, which we have missed- but we can't exactly claim that our wine intake this week has been below average😀

Jane is actually fine thanks. The physical damage is impressive for such a small dog, but in absolute terms, in all honesty, I've seen worse from chain rings. The reason we are still waiting in A&E 3 hours later 🤨 is to find out what antibiotics she needs.
2 x

LowlifeDes

Post by LowlifeDes » 4 years ago

In bite per pound terms, jack Russel are top dog
1 x

JohnToo

Well sod that for a game of soldiers. 4 hours in French A&E resulted in a conversation (conducted more in sign language than anything recognisably French or English) with a doctor about rabies. He wanted us to go back tomorrow to identify the dog so it can be tested. We are disinclined cos it's 10 miles each way in the wrong direction for tomorrow (And what are we supposed to say to the owner, even supposing we could find him?) We've compromised on calling a national infection control number. Meanwhile we got a prescription for antibiotics... And the nearest pharmacy open dimanche was ten miles away, further than I fancied cycling, so after much sucking of teeth and shrugging of shoulders our hotelier found us a taxi (who was very helpful especially when the pharmacy appeared closed... We now know you ring a bell and man opens a hatch). We are now back at a restaurant in Amboise with a massive pile of medicines on the table between us and Jane mixing powders into drinks...
1 x

JohnToo

20190512_201449.jpg
Brings back memories?
1 x

Rocky

Post by Rocky » 4 years ago

Oh goodness @JohnToo. I think I would have done exactly what you’ve done. It sounds a complete pain. I just hope the antibiotics can be taken with wine. I suspect you’ll both need a carafe or two after today.
1 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Joan » 4 years ago

Back in the day™, if you were bitten by an animal in a rabies area, you would shoot it, cut off it's head and send it to a lab to diagnose it. Kudos to you @JohnToo for not doing that. If you have any thought that it could be rabies, remember stories like this. The chances of it being rabies are infinitesimal, but if you have any doubts, then push for treatment or investigation.

The last time I was bitten by a domestic animal, it was just after my father died, by a pissy cat who realised I was feeding the birds and not him. He sank is canine into my calf that resulted in a tetanus shot and two courses of antibiotics. Kitty teeth are very dirty.
0 x