TV/Streaming shows

Ephemera and whimsy
Greg

Re: TV/Streaming shows

Post by Greg » 4 years ago

Rutabaga wrote:
4 years ago
I reckon he's made a very good living out of bullying and manipulation, over the years. He doesn't seem to have any moral compass at all, and I hope they decide not to employ him again.
I've not met him, so cant comment and so I certainly wouldn't reduce myself to be like one of his audience members and condemn him...
0 x

Rutabaga

Post by Rutabaga » 4 years ago

Greg wrote:
4 years ago
I've not met him, so cant comment and so I certainly wouldn't reduce myself to be like one of his audience members and condemn him...
Come off it. Kyle's name has been on this shite for sixteen years, it's not as if he didn't understand the mechanism by which he has been making a good living. I note that you're not above judging his audience members as being far beneath you though.
1 x

Greg

Rutabaga wrote:
4 years ago
Come off it. Kyle's name has been on this shite for sixteen years, it's not as if he didn't understand the mechanism by which he has been making a good living. I note that you're not above judging his audience members as being far beneath you though.
I don't think Christopher Lee was really a vampire either*. As regards the behaviour of the audience..... have you actually seen the show?

* Caveat: You do know I'm not fully defending Kyle here don't you? To quote myself "I cant quite hate the man"
0 x

Iris

Post by Iris » 4 years ago

Greg wrote:
4 years ago
I don't think Christopher Lee was really a vampire either*. As regards the behaviour of the audience..... have you actually seen the show?
Christopher Lee's co-actors were acting to a script, and paid to do so.
0 x

Greg

Iris wrote:
4 years ago
Christopher Lee's co-actors were acting to a script, and paid to do so.
He didn't really bite the necks of pretty young ladies??!!!

#gutted
0 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Regulator » 4 years ago

Rutabaga wrote:
4 years ago
I realise that you have a huge amount of scorn for anyone who supports UKIP and Brexit (and, to a certain extent, so do I), but I think your remarks about the Kyle Show participants and audience are wide of the mark.

However incredulous we might be about this, it seems that people volunteered to be in either one of those groups in the sadly vain hope of getting help for their life problems, often if not always problems based in poor mental health. Then they were baited, manipulated, deceived, and closely edited to fit a production agenda that has justifiably been described as a 'theatre of cruelty'.

Reading this article, from 2008 (a mere three years after the programme first aired) it's clear that, from the start, many people saw the phenomenon for what it was, yet it continued and became more extreme over the following eleven years. https://www.theguardian.com/media/2008/ ... television

Perhaps Kyle is pitching a new fly-on-the-wall show called Bedlam, there are strong historical precedents after all.

One could say exactly that about many members of UKIP and the Brexit Party...
0 x

Whiskeyjack

Post by Whiskeyjack » 4 years ago

My two penny worth, don’t like it, he always comes across as nasty and aggressive, backed by a screaming crowd of bullies. Has been nice in work without his mug on all the TVs.

Up to the penultimate episode of game of thrones. Feck. At least it’s over soon, what a train wreck it’s become.
0 x

LowlifeDes

Post by LowlifeDes » 4 years ago

Whiskeyjack wrote:
4 years ago
Up to the penultimate episode of game of thrones. Feck. At least it’s over soon, what a train wreck it’s become.
Is the dwarf winning?
0 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Regulator » 4 years ago

LowlifeDes wrote:
4 years ago
Is the dwarf winning?
Spoiler
Show
It turns out he's not a dwarf - he's just very good at kneeling down
Spoiler
Show
Before anyone get's offended, I nicked that from Peter Dinklage
2 x

Iris

Post by Iris » 4 years ago

On Kyle, it's worth reading the Guardian piece by an ex Trisha researcher.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... th-show-tv
3 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Dead to me

Post by Joan » 4 years ago

Joan wrote:
4 years ago
I've just watched the pilot of Dead To Me. It is (or seems to be) the story of two grieving women who feel alone until they become friends. I was moved and loved the ups and downs. I was ready recommend it, but

(mild spoiler)
alluding to the end of the pilot, but not explicit
Show
it took a very dark twist in the final moments of the pilot that I think takes it into a different genre, probably a thriller, and I don't think it's for me. I will watch a couple more episodes, and see.
It stars Christina Applegate, Linda Cardenelli and featured - bizarrely - Ed Asner, who was old before I was born.
I've made it to the last episode. It's a good series. I was afraid it was going down the SWF road, but it's much subtler than that. No one is absolutely bad. The tragedy is slowly escalating, with a dark twist at the end of most episodes. Sometimes it's things the audience doesn't know, and sometimes it's characters learning a dark secret. People behave in stupid ways all the time, just like in real life and great tragedies. I am reminded of my brother's tutor who told him "I can't watch Othello any more. I just want to go on stage and shake each character by the shoulders and say 'stop being so bloody stupid'" People doing the best they can, break things and hurt each other. So, like life.

Anyway, 70% through the last episode, but I am posting now because Anton Chekhov has left a gun on the set, and it made me hit pause. I don't want to judge the series by what happens with that gun, so posting a 👍 now.

Edit: I have finished the season.
mild spoilers for the last episode
Show
I was afraid the gun was going to discharge in her pocket, killing her son accidently. That did not happen. The gun was discharged, wittingly. It did not break my heart. You can proceed through the last episode with reasonable caution.
0 x

Rutabaga

The Real Ravenhurst wrote:
5 years ago
Can I just say, if I have not said it before, that I am more than a little bit in love with Louis Theroux?
This week's castaway on Desert Island Discs, and very interesting, although his choice of the one record he'd keep over all the others was appalling, I'm afraid. :D
1 x

The Real Ravenhurst

Post by The Real Ravenhurst » 4 years ago

Rutabaga wrote:
4 years ago
This week's castaway on Desert Island Discs, and very interesting, although his choice of the one record he'd keep over all the others was appalling, I'm afraid. :D
OMG what was it?
0 x

Rutabaga

I'm afraid it was 'Heaven on Their Minds' from Jesus Christ Superstar.
1 x

The Real Ravenhurst

Post by The Real Ravenhurst » 4 years ago

Rutabaga wrote:
4 years ago
I'm afraid it was 'Heaven on Their Minds' from Jesus Christ Superstar.
:o Feet of clay. I'm gonna hope there's a story behind it.
1 x