Ephemera and whimsy
Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Meanwhile...

Post by Joan » 4 years ago

Joan wrote:
4 years ago
There's a Chinook doing circuits over south West London. Has there been a mass breakout from Wormwood Scrubs?

Edit: currently hovering over The Old Deer Park.

Edit edit: over me!
This just arrived in my mailbox from the local vicar
Dear Neighbours

Many will know about the lost tiles last Friday night from the church roof (turns out, most likely, to have been caused by a Police Helicopter!!)...

We need (of course) to fix the damage and have to bring in an enormous cherry-picker to do that as swiftly as possible on Tuesday next week (4th June).
0 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Regulator » 4 years ago

Joan wrote:
4 years ago
This just arrived in my mailbox from the local vicar
I think your vicar is grasping at straws. The helicopter would have had to be hovering very close to the roof - and it would have to have been in very poor repair to start with.
0 x

Rocky

Post by Rocky » 4 years ago

Regulator wrote:
4 years ago
I think your vicar is grasping at straws. The helicopter would have had to be hovering very close to the roof - and it would have to have been in very poor repair to start with.
Does it go down as ‘an act of God’ on the insurance claim?
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Regulator wrote:
4 years ago
MY vicar???? If I ever decided to worship an invisible sky friend, I would not choose CofE. I like to think I'd pick something esoteric, Tibetan Buddhism or greater, but truth be told, it will be deathbed, so no time to do research - back to catholism. It was good enough for Oscar Wilde.

I think that there were tiles knocked off the roof on Saturday morning. They didn't know the cause, and put up barriers so no one was hurt. Then a parishioner suggested it may have been the police helicopter. It's being shared as a fun fact. The barriers are still up on the pavement, warning of "falling tiles", so they don't think it's the explanation.

I don't know what the explanation is. I was out and about last Friday. It wasn't windy. There was no noticeable wind at ground level from the helicopter, I doubt there was much more at church roof level. But you also prompted me to google. It doesn't seem that the Met or Thames Valley have Chinooks; indeed, I don't think any British police force does. I saw a Chinook - I'd bet it was the same one - a couple of km from home on Sunday. It was stealth black, which is not a police colour. So whatever caused it, it wasn't a police helicopter.
Rocky wrote:
4 years ago
I don't know. The damage wrought by the lead loving parakeets was paid for by the parishioners.
2 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Rocky wrote:
4 years ago
I dropped a note to "my" vicar, telling him my analysis of the helicopter situation, and that it was probably MiB, and not the police.

He replied:
Blimey!

Well, I've had email confirmation from the National Police Air Service (NPAS) that they were flying a helicopter in our area that night (I was surprised they admitted it), but they of course didn't say what it was!! ;-)

The good thing is that it's the insurance company's problem (Men in Blank or no Men in Black), not ours!!!! :-D
R
1 x

Dunckel

Post by Dunckel » 4 years ago

Joan wrote:
4 years ago
I dropped a note to "my" vicar, telling him my analysis of the helicopter situation, and that it was probably MiB, and not the police.

He replied:
At the risk of sounding like the creepy know it all, could the chopper have been heading to the US Embassy in Battersea, preparing for the arrival of the Liar in Chief.
0 x

Rocky

Fiji!!
1 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Rocky wrote:
4 years ago
Fiji!!
Git!!!
1 x

Dunckel

Post by Dunckel » 4 years ago

Rocky wrote:
4 years ago
Fiji!!
Bula!
1 x

Lullabelle

Post by Lullabelle » 4 years ago

Rocky wrote:
4 years ago
Fiji!!
Woop woop. Bula
1 x

Rocky

44666E32-AF1A-49C3-846E-7B78A5DFA83C.jpeg
What’s more....it’s beer time
5 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Rocky wrote:
4 years ago

Double git!
2 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Dunckel wrote:
4 years ago
At the risk of sounding like the creepy know it all, could the chopper have been heading to the US Embassy in Battersea, preparing for the arrival of the Liar in Chief.
No. It was hovering. It must have been doing some sort of surveillance. Kind of creepy now I think about it. It must have got special permission to be there as we must be restricted airspace as we are one of the two approaches to Heathrow. Planes were not overhead when the chopper was there.

As there was no spotlight, they must have been using IR. The foxes and I would have been lighting up their goggles.
0 x

Mister Paul

Post by Mister Paul » 4 years ago

The Chinooks practice in our valley (Gordano). Its one thing watching pairs of them swooping around in daylight, but occasionally they do it in the dark, in stealth mode. A friend lives at the top of the hill. You'll hear the noise growing but can't see a thing until it's a hands-on-ears job. Then a black shadow rises from below at the end of his garden.

Then the long-standing community members all get shouty on FB about being woken up.
1 x

LowlifeDes

Post by LowlifeDes » 4 years ago

Rocky wrote:
4 years ago

What sort of beer do you get in Fiji?
0 x