Meanwhile...

Ephemera and whimsy
Rocky

Re: Meanwhile...

Post by Rocky » 4 years ago

Dunckel wrote:
4 years ago
It could be jet lag, but most likely just your age. Why not just go to bed and enjoy the dawn tomorrow.
....the Prof tells me it's my age too. There's a pattern building up here. Now, what did I go upstairs for?
1 x

Lullabelle

Post by Lullabelle » 4 years ago

We went to our local pub this evening to see the comedian Gary Delaney, brilliant as always.
1 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Regulator » 4 years ago

It's a miserable, damp day out there... at least I don't have to water the garden.
1 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Joan » 4 years ago

Reckon the Thames will break its bank this evening. Still strongly running in, and 20 minutes to high tide.
Attachments
IMG_20190623_191808021.jpg
0 x

Rutabaga

Post by Rutabaga » 4 years ago

Torrential rain on the way tomorrow too.
1 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Joan » 4 years ago

I'm not a river whisperer. It's still below the banks, and it's turned.
0 x

Iris

Post by Iris » 4 years ago

I'm on holiday. We travel tomorrow and are away for just over a fortnight.
2 x

Rutabaga

I have been in Kew Gardens all day, wondering at the amazing tangly glass works by Dale Chihuly. They are absolutely beautiful anyway, but in that setting they take on all sorts of extra aspects. There's an exhibition of his earlier and less well-known work, along with a film of things being made - glasswork is such a team effort, choregraphed like a dance, and I love the mystery of glass itself, it's such weird stuff. Definitely worth a visit to Kew, which is lovely in its own right, being large enough to get away from the crowds into the shady woods.
3 x

Dunckel

Post by Dunckel » 4 years ago

Iris wrote:
4 years ago
I'm on holiday. We travel tomorrow and are away for just over a fortnight.
Where are you going? We set off to Norway on Sunday.
0 x

JohnToo

Post by JohnToo » 4 years ago

Rutabaga wrote:
4 years ago
I have been in Kew Gardens all day, wondering at the amazing tangly glass works by Dale Chihuly. They are absolutely beautiful anyway, but in that setting they take on all sorts of extra aspects. There's an exhibition of his earlier and less well-known work, along with a film of things being made - glasswork is such a team effort, choregraphed like a dance, and I love the mystery of glass itself, it's such weird stuff. Definitely worth a visit to Kew, which is lovely in its own right, being large enough to get away from the crowds into the shady woods.
We went to see them. Some of them - the totem pole like thing in the crossing of paths (sorry for the inadequate description) and some of the ones in the glasshouses - seemed just right for the surroundings. But we thought some of the others were just a bit brash for the garden context - technically and artistically amazing but not quite fitting. The sheer scale of the undertaking and the uses of glass are breathtaking though whatever.
0 x

Iris

Dunckel wrote:
4 years ago
Where are you going? We set off to Norway on Sunday.
Switzerland tomorrow, then through the Alps via Milan to Bologna on Monday; thence to Ferrara and Ravenna.
0 x

Iris

Rutabaga wrote:
4 years ago
I was lucky enough to visit some of them in their natural habitat a couple of years ago.
IMG_2283.JPG
IMG_2301.JPG
IMG_2303.JPG
IMG_2254.JPG
IMG_2265.JPG
IMG_2270.JPG
3 x

Dunckel

Post by Dunckel » 4 years ago

Iris wrote:
4 years ago
Switzerland tomorrow, then through the Alps via Milan to Bologna on Monday; thence to Ferrara and Ravenna.
Road Trip!!!!! Enjoy.
0 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Regulator » 4 years ago

Today marks the 50th anniversary of the Stonewall uprising, and everything that flowed from that.

And yet the current state of politics in the UK make me worried for the future, particularly if that future includes a homophobic PM like Boris Johnson.
0 x

Rutabaga

DSC00545.JPG
DSC00544.JPG
DSC00551.JPG
1 x