Fun in the bike sheds this morning

Everything to do with cycling
Mister Paul

Fun in the bike sheds this morning

Post by Mister Paul » 4 years ago

We have a great bike shed outside of public areas that are pretty safe.

We had an email last week saying that the shed was to be tidied up, any anything being stored in there would be removed in 4 days.

On the third day, all of the locks that people leave at work overnight were cut off the bike loops.

I didn't discover this until I rode in this morning to find that I didn't have anything to lock my bike up with. I cycle in at least twice a week, and the lock is less than 2 years old. It's been thrown out.

Nobody related the "anything being stored in there" to the bike locks, so they must have destroyed about 15 of them.

I've kicked up a fuss and it's being replaced, but on the grounds that they were cut off before the deadline, not because it was an utterly ridiculous action that we didn't have clear warning about.

Still, I'm in with the building surveyor now and have got him on to dealing with the people who keep keys to lockers that they haven't used for months.
0 x

Rutabaga

Re: Fun in the bike sheds this morning

Post by Rutabaga » 4 years ago

Outrageous! Are you not allowed to leave anything on work premises overnight? The locker-hogging thing is a complaint I have heard from others in the past. I never worked anywhere that had lockers, so I wasn't something I ever encountered.
0 x

Mister Paul

Yup. It's outrageous. They're replacing my lock, and at least 2 others. I think it's just the outcome of the tidy up being done by someone who isn't at all bike-minded. I said to the bloke that if only they'd spoken to one of us first we'd have been able to avoid this.
0 x

Iris

Post by Iris » 4 years ago

Mister Paul wrote:
4 years ago
if only they'd spoken to one of us first we'd have been able to avoid this.
The perennial refrain of everyone in every office everywhere ever.
3 x

Mister Paul

Now I just have to win the battle to park my motorbike in the basement car park, in a dusty corner never used for anything. At the moment, "it's against policy" (there isn't a policy). "if we let you then it would open the floodgates" (there are three motorcyclists in the building). "It's never been allowed" (so??). "The members wouldn't be happy because they're not allowed to park their cars down there" (again, so???).

There are times when I start to think that local authorities are coming out of the dark ages. And then I'm reminded.
0 x

LowlifeDes

Post by LowlifeDes » 4 years ago

It is the unthinking application of rulz. I was on a GWR train yesterday. Somewhere along the way an employee came into the carriage and moved everything in the luggage racks that was small enough to fit into the overhead racks down the carriage into them. The luggage racks never filled up again and several people struggled to get their stuff down from the overhead racks.
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Joan » 4 years ago

Ugh. Everything above makes me 😡

Aside: I was a member of a bike gym. They provided secure locking and showers etc for commuters, plus weight room, spin classes etc. The bike parking was the two level design you see at train station, so no obvious place to leave your lock. They installed what was basically a long towel rail against a wall, for customers to store their locks when their bikes were absent. If they think the locks are unsightly or something, that is a solution.
2 x