Fishy Dishes

For foodies, food snobs, gourmets, gourmands and garbage guts
Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Fishy Dishes

Post by Joan » 4 years ago

I gather there might be a slight in the preparation and consumption of fruit de mer. OK, it might just be my interest as I try to increase my Omega 3 intake.....

Anyway, from a dark corner of this website .....
Regulator wrote:
4 years ago
Ah - but a *really* good fish pie is worth the extra effort.
Not to me it isn't. Once you smother something in bechemal and slap on a kilogram of mashed maris piper any subtlies are lost in the starchy, glutinous glory of it. To me a good fish pie and a great one are pretty close.

If I was going to put that sort of effort into a fish casserole, I would make a bouillabaisse.

Notes:
  1. When my mum taught me to make a white sauce to cover the blandness of boiled celery, who knew she was introducing me to one of the mother sauces of classical French cuisine?
  2. For reference, we were discussing this article
0 x

Rutabaga

Re: Fishy Dishes

Post by Rutabaga » 4 years ago

It's 40 years old, so it's a bit fuzzy, but it's the original Barnes & Barnes:

2 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

🤪

That was not the reply I expected. Two points....
  • Eat them up, yum.
  • DANGER Will Robinson!
1 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

3rd point: I seem to be like short lists.
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

IMG_20191024_163928794.jpg
2 x

Dunckel

Post by Dunckel » 4 years ago

Where is that from?
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Dunckel wrote:
4 years ago
Where is that from?
I was going to say "local Japanese supermarket", but it turns out to be a chain. The branch I visited isn't a sushi bar, but does have takeaway sushi (made to order), and a bench you can eat at.

I was sitting right beside a fridge full of Japanese import lagers, so I was grateful they didn't have an on site license as it might have spelt the end of Ocsober for me.
0 x

Dunckel

That looks interesting. Leicester is a strange city for overseas cuisine, because we have such a large population of Indian oregin we have a huge number of curry houses including some of the finest in the country. On the other hand we don't have a great choice of other cuisines, particularly Asian. There is one small Thai place, the only decent Chinese closed recently because the owner retired and you can forget any representation from any other interesting food cultures. Yes we have the sushi chain and the 'World Cuisine' places that have a bash at everything, but quality and authenticity is lacking compared to somewhere like Nottingham just up the road.
0 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Regulator » 4 years ago

Dunckel wrote:
4 years ago
That looks interesting. Leicester is a strange city ... quality and authenticity is lacking compared to somewhere like Nottingham just up the road.

:P ;D
1 x

Sonic Budgie

Post by Sonic Budgie » 4 years ago

Dunckel wrote:
4 years ago
That looks interesting. Leicester is a strange city for overseas cuisine, because we have such a large population of Indian oregin we have a huge number of curry houses including some of the finest in the country. On the other hand we don't have a great choice of other cuisines, particularly Asian. There is one small Thai place, the only decent Chinese closed recently because the owner retired and you can forget any representation from any other interesting food cultures. Yes we have the sushi chain and the 'World Cuisine' places that have a bash at everything, but quality and authenticity is lacking compared to somewhere like Nottingham just up the road.
Have you got a kebab shop?
1 x

Greg

Post by Greg » 4 years ago

Dunckel wrote:
4 years ago
I used to drive over (1 1/2 hours ish) every Christmas for a Walkers pork pie.

As you were....
1 x

Dunckel

Sonic Budgie wrote:
4 years ago
Have you got a kebab shop?
Many, in fact, Istanbul on Narborough Road was visited by Prince Charles. Turkish Mangals are a welcome edition to the restaurant collection, good healthy food.
1 x