Meanwhile...

Ephemera and whimsy
Lullabelle

Re: Meanwhile...

Post by Lullabelle » 4 years ago

Joan wrote:
4 years ago
Feeling better? As someone wiser than me said recently, they are little feckers. Painful and can often result in extreme reactions.

You know all the fuss that foreigners make about poisonous Australian wildlife? When these yellow wasps started appearing in quantity, they were much more feared than anything native.

Apparently the local English wasps only score a 2 on the Schmidt Pain Index (named after a scientist who has let himself be stung and bitten by all manner of creepy crawlies, and reviewed them like a pain sommelier). I thought a sampling of his experience might cheer you up....

Yes thank you, there is nothing to see now, the pain and redness has gone but my word it hurt.
1 x

Lullabelle

Rutabaga wrote:
4 years ago
@Lullabelle For treating stings it's Bicarb for Bees, Vinegar for Wasps. (You have to use the Dickensian pronunciation of the V for the mnemonic to work properly.)

Dunckel mentioned vinegar, but once he had removed the sting I smothered the area in Savlon.
0 x

ransos

Post by ransos » 4 years ago

I think I copped a weever fish sting on the beach near St. David's the other week. Something I stood on coming out of the sea, and felt like a wasp sting. Also a nasty little fecker.
0 x

JohnToo

Post by JohnToo » 4 years ago

So, let me guess, to be reviewed in the following terms:
"this is not a show for fans of storylines or of personal space. It revels in the discomfort it creates in the room, whilst also offering a weirdly unifying experience for those taking part...."
and
"It’s not for the faint-hearted, and wannabe participants might want to think about a pre-show whisky or four...."
... is probably about the highest praise conceivable for some theatre companies?
1 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Joan » 4 years ago

Lullabelle wrote:
4 years ago
Dunckel mentioned vinegar, but once he had removed the sting I smothered the area in Savlon.
It left it's sting behind? <bug nerd>I think that has to be a bee. Wasps don't leave their stings behind. In fact, if it's angry/afraid it can sting again and again</bug nerd>

But I am glad you are not suffering.

ransos wrote:
4 years ago
I think I copped a weever fish sting on the beach near St. David's the other week. Something I stood on coming out of the sea, and felt like a wasp sting. Also a nasty little fecker.
What fresh hell is this? <google google>
The most common symptoms of a weever fish sting include severe pain, fever, swelling, nausea, vomiting, headache, low blood pressure, itching, fainting, tremors, seizures, abdominal cramps. Deaths are extremely rare.
😲 🤯 🎇

If another pom** complains to me about how dangerous Australian fauna is, will get a piece of my mind.......

@ransos, I am glad you have recovered.

**I am not sure if "pom" is hate speech or not, but it's the word I use for English folk who decide to explain to me what is wrong with Australia or who tell the I don't have a criminal record, I didn't know you still needed one "joke".
2 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

JohnToo wrote:
4 years ago
So, let me guess, to be reviewed in the following terms:
"this is not a show for fans of storylines or of personal space. It revels in the discomfort it creates in the room, whilst also offering a weirdly unifying experience for those taking part...."
and
"It’s not for the faint-hearted, and wannabe participants might want to think about a pre-show whisky or four...."
... is probably about the highest praise conceivable for some theatre companies?
I think so. I don't think you can create an experience like that accidentally.

No, I don't think I want to see ...um....experience that.
0 x

Dunckel

Post by Dunckel » 4 years ago

Joan wrote:
4 years ago
It left it's sting behind? <bug nerd>I think that has to be a bee. Wasps don't leave their stings behind. In fact, if it's angry/afraid it can sting again and again</bug nerd>

The most common symptoms of a weever fish sting include severe pain, fever, swelling, nausea, vomiting, headache, low blood pressure, itching, fainting, tremors, seizures, abdominal cramps. Deaths are extremely rare.
😲 🤯 🎇

If another pom** complains to me about how dangerous Australian fauna is, will get a piece of my mind.......

**I am not sure if "pom" is hate speech or not, but it's the word I use for English folk who decide to explain to me what is wrong with Australia or who tell the I don't have a criminal record, I didn't know you still needed one "joke".
It was definitely a wasp, it sat on the window ledge afterwards in quite a sorry state
1 x

Lullabelle

Joan wrote:
4 years ago

😲 🤯 🎇

Before the event there was a wasp on the window, after the event the wasp reappeared and looked as though it was about to pop it's clogs, definitely a wasp-there were no bees around.
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Dunckel wrote:
4 years ago
It was definitely a wasp, it sat on the window ledge afterwards in quite a sorry state
Cool. And interesting. I wonder how common that is. Was it one of the classic yellow and black English/European/German wasps that are everywhere?

(Not sure of the names. When they came to Australia, they were called English or European. We apparently had both. I couldn't tell them apart. Wikipedia says European wasps are actually German wasps. Maybe it's like German Shepherds. I'll call them Alsatians from now on.)
0 x

Lullabelle

Joan wrote:
4 years ago
Cool. And interesting. I wonder how common that is. Was it one of the classic yellow and black English/European/German wasps that are everywhere?

(Not sure of the names. When they came to Australia, they were called English or European. We apparently had both. I couldn't tell them apart. Wikipedia says European wasps are actually German wasps. Maybe it's like German Shepherds. I'll call them Alsatians from now on.)

It was a classic black and yellow stripe wasp.
1 x

Dunckel

Post by Dunckel » 4 years ago

Joan wrote:
4 years ago

A bog standard wasp. Don't tell Lu but when I got the tweezers and removed the sting there was also a little bit of wasp attached to the barb, I suspect Lu knocked it off whilst it was still injecting hence why it looked worse for wear sitting on the window.
1 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

not for Lullabelle
Show
Dunckel wrote:
4 years ago
A bog standard wasp. Don't tell Lu but when I got the tweezers and removed the sting there was also a little bit of wasp attached to the barb, I suspect Lu knocked it off whilst it was still injecting hence why it looked worse for wear sitting on the window.
That makes sense.

Bees are designed to lose their stings and they die in the process. The stings are barbed so they don't come out, and the bees are perforated so the stings tear out. OK, presumably perforated, because the bees don't stay attached, but fall away. But if a wasp stinger got stuck, it would also presumably tear, just not along biological perforations. I don't judge: you should have seen the hash I made of my last postal ballot.

The good thing is that bees apparently leave poison the the part of their body still attached, and the barbs make it tricky to remove so you end up squeezing the poison into the wound if you don't know what to do. Neither is true for wasps, so it's done it's worst when it leaves its sting in you.
2 x

Lullabelle

Dunckel wrote:
4 years ago

omg........
0 x

JohnToo

Post by JohnToo » 4 years ago

Joan wrote:
4 years ago
I think so. I don't think you can create an experience like that accidentally.

No, I don't think I want to see ...um....experience that.
By way of context, this isn't just any old random theatre company we are talking about, this is a theatre company that is rather close to one of our own...
0 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Regulator » 4 years ago

My car is not well. They think it’s the dual mass flywheel/clutch. An expensive item to go wrong...
0 x