Moderator: Joan

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Bollocks to Brexit

Post by Joan » 4 years ago

JohnToo wrote:
4 years ago
(and suggested at the time) that the referendum question was so open to multiple interpretations that, way before triggering Article 50, we should have held a Constitutional Convention or a Citizen's Assembly or something to work out what we actually wanted from the negotiations with Europe. But it's far too late now.
After the referendum was far too late. Ask a vague question, spend millions on getting an answer, then all get together to decide what question actually was?** Everything is insane and backwards.

OK, but here we are. I will pause crying over spilt milk to look forward. I do not understand what they are trying to achieve. I don't really know what a citizens' assembly is, so I ended up on the Parliament website "A citizens’ assembly is a group of people who are brought together to discuss an issue or issues, and reach a conclusion about what they think should happen." But there are no decisions left to make. We are going to be out before anything happens, so all they are going to rehash old arguments. The future questions seem to be locked in, or outside scope of such an assembly - exactly how far Boris bends over in trade negotiations with Trump is not going to be swayed by this.

We need a Truth and Reconciliation commission, but we aren't ready for it. We haven't established who are the victims and who are the guilty, and everyone is angry and hateful and no one is ready to forgive or ask for forgiveness.

**It was the ultimate question, of life, the universe and everthing.
1 x

Mister Paul

Post by Mister Paul » 4 years ago

Boris thinks he's saying something new....
0 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Regulator » 4 years ago

You can listen/watch the proceedings in the Scottish Court of Session:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- ... s-49550874

(live streaming is a little flaky). Boris is getting a real kicking by Aidan O'Neill QC:

"Boris Johnson has refused to explain his decision to the court. What can Court do? It can & should draw adverse inferences as a result. His personal & professional life is one of being unwilling & unable to speak the truth..."
1 x

Greg

Post by Greg » 4 years ago

Tory majorities just gone
1 x

Dunckel

Post by Dunckel » 4 years ago

I just flicked on to the BBC news to hear that there is a real chance that Boris will kick Ken Clarke and Sir Nicholas Soames out of the Conservative party tonight. If you are willing to dump the father of the house and the grandson of Winston Churchill then you surely have just destroyed the party.
0 x

LowlifeDes

Post by LowlifeDes » 4 years ago

Does he have the authority to do such things with no checks and balances?
0 x

Dunckel

LowlifeDes wrote:
4 years ago
Does he have the authority to do such things with no checks and balances?
Yes apparently it is within the power of the whips, and the parliamentry party can deselect a candidate for an upcoming election so overuling the local constituency party.

Going back to no deal, Rees Mogg earlier was doubling down on his statement that he would be perfectly happy with Britain trading on WTO rules indefinitely. We truely have blinkered morons in charge now.
0 x

Dunckel

Rees-Mogg during today's debate.
0_Screenshot-2019-09-03-at-213701.png
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Joan » 4 years ago

Now I have to leave this thread as well. It's too depressing.

Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

(Fact/factoid from Brexitcast: if they do call an election, with a 2/3 majority for a date, after parliament has be dissolved, the date can be changed by royal decree - IE by Boris - without further discussion with the now dissolved parliament.)
0 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Joan wrote:
4 years ago
Now I have to leave this thread as well. It's too depressing.

Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

(Fact/factoid from Brexitcast: if they do call an election, with a 2/3 majority for a date, after parliament has be dissolved, the date can be changed by royal decree - IE by Boris - without further discussion with the now dissolved parliament.)
Which is why Blackford, Corbyn, Lucas and Swinson are all insisting the ‘No No Deal’ Bill has to become law before they’ll agree any dissolution under the FTPA.
0 x

JohnToo

Post by JohnToo » 4 years ago

But if they get the "no no deal" bill through, then agree to an October 14 Election with the date buttoned down through some mechanism, and if Johnson wins, he just repeals the No No Deal Act and we leave on Oct 31 with no deal anyway...

But then I guess that if Johnson wins the election, whenever it is, we're screwed anyway, so No Deal won't be the biggest of our problems by a long way.
1 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

JohnToo wrote:
4 years ago
But if they get the "no no deal" bill through, then agree to an October 14 Election with the date buttoned down through some mechanism, and if Johnson wins, he just repeals the No No Deal Act and we leave on Oct 31 with no deal anyway...

But then I guess that if Johnson wins the election, whenever it is, we're screwed anyway, so No Deal won't be the biggest of our problems by a long way.
I don’t think anyone will agree to a 14 October election. They’ll be looking to a post-31 October date.

I’m also going to be interested to see what the Court of Session says. I’m not sure that Cherry et al will win but I have a feeling the judge’s remarks will make interesting reading for the media.
0 x

Greg

Post by Greg » 4 years ago

Bercows Bollocked Boris
1 x

Sonic Budgie

Post by Sonic Budgie » 4 years ago

Subsequently, speaker savages Sajid.
1 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Bercow's not pulling his punches, is he? He certainly seems to be relishing this.
1 x