Ephemera and whimsy
Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Confessions

Post by Joan » 4 years ago

Regulator wrote: ↑
4 years ago
I started reading this and thought we might be related...

...but then I got to "...enjoy the occasional Pot Noodle". :o
Is eating Pot Noodle something anyone "enjoys"? Obviously when hungry, everyone enjoys injesting carbs, but does that count as enjoyment?

Aside: I was in my local W******e yesterday, and amused to see that they had a couple of Pot Noodles for 80p, or several (arguably) "posh" brands for more than twice that.

Aside on my aside: I contend that Itsu is a cancer on our society. I further contend that Alexander Litvinenko might agree.
Attachments
IMG_20190906_205155682.jpg
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

I've never been on a packaged holiday.
0 x

Greg

Post by Greg » 4 years ago

Guess who's [not] on a Thomas Cook flight tomorrow morning :(
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Oh dear. Or are you somewhere nice that you can afford stay on and have nothing urgent you need to be home for?

If so, enjoy the enforced extended leave.
0 x

Greg

Joan wrote: ↑
4 years ago
Oh dear. Or are you somewhere nice that you can afford stay on and have nothing urgent you need to be home for?

If so, enjoy the enforced extended leave.
Ive not gone yet, I'll be happy to come back by hot air balloon as long as they can get us there. The glimmer of hope is that the holidays actually booked with Olympic so its their responsibility to find another charter.
2 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

🀞
1 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

πŸ›« πŸ‡¬πŸ‡· 🏝🍹 πŸ– ?
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

4 years ago
I've never been on a packaged holiday.
Just for the record, this wasn't about Thomas Cook. I was chatting with a friend who is holidaying in Greece, and she told me of her Saturday night, ouzo, souvlaki, and Greek dancing. I thought - you go girl! - getting down with the local culture. But a few texts later she called it "Greek night" and I remembered she was at a resort on half board. So what she had experienced was a Greek theme night held coincidently in Greece - but it could have be just as easily in Skegness. I felt vaguely superior, and expressed it here, forgetting about the looming crisis for TC.

I have no business feeling superior. I've never been to Greece, but I have spent decades in the third largest Greek city by population.
0 x

Dunckel

Post by Dunckel » 4 years ago

4 years ago
Just for the record, this wasn't about Thomas Cook. I was chatting with a friend who is holidaying in Greece, and she told me of her Saturday night, ouzo, souvlaki, and Greek dancing. I thought - you go girl! - getting down with the local culture. But a few texts later she called it "Greek night" and I remembered she was at a resort on half board. So what she had experienced was a Greek theme night held coincidently in Greece - but it could have be just as easily in Skegness. I felt vaguely superior, and expressed it here, forgetting about the looming crisis for TC.

I have no business feeling superior. I've never been to Greece, but I have spent decades in the third largest Greek city by population.
Not all package holidays are equal, there are the costa del holiday camp, lowest common denominator outings, then you get what we just did in Santorini, a five star hotel, private car transfers and never being bothered by a rep trying to sell you tours. The thing they both have in common is that once you check in at the airport the provider takes full responsibility for everything, making sure you make your connections and providing full support if you have a problem.
Having travelled independently and also having bought a package, the latter allows you to sit back and relax without having to think of any of the organisation, I recommend them.
1 x

Sonic Budgie

Post by Sonic Budgie » 4 years ago

Who did you go with @Dunckel ?
1 x

Dunckel

Post by Dunckel » 4 years ago

Sonic Budgie wrote: ↑
4 years ago
Who did you go with @Dunckel ?
My wife, who do you think?

Oh, I see, TUI.
2 x

Greg

4 years ago
πŸ›« πŸ‡¬πŸ‡· 🏝🍹 πŸ– ?
Nope, still here :(
0 x

Greg

Dunckel wrote: ↑
4 years ago
Not all package holidays are equal, there are the costa del holiday camp, lowest common denominator outings, then you get what we just did in Santorini, a five star hotel, private car transfers and never being bothered by a rep trying to sell you tours. The thing they both have in common is that once you check in at the airport the provider takes full responsibility for everything, making sure you make your connections and providing full support if you have a problem.
Having travelled independently and also having bought a package, the latter allows you to sit back and relax without having to think of any of the organisation, I recommend them.
Similarly, it was (supposed) to be, Kefalonia, taxi to small resort, 2 star 20 room hotel, get up late and go to the beach every day. Been 3 times before, one year we bumped into the rep at the bar "I wasn't too sure you two were even here".
1 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Greg wrote: ↑
4 years ago
Nope, still here :(
Sorry to hear that.

And are you getting the thunderstorms there, just to drive home the point you are not in Greece?
0 x

Greg

4 years ago
Sorry to hear that.

And are you getting the thunderstorms there, just to drive home the point you are not in Greece?
Yes it was lashing it down this morning, and cold, it did wonders for the mood :)
1 x