Salad suggestions: cheap, green and "international"

For foodies, food snobs, gourmets, gourmands and garbage guts
Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Salad suggestions: cheap, green and "international"

Post by Joan » 4 years ago

My neighbourhood group is having an international food night tomorrow, to raise money for the local food bank. Today I was "reminded" that I had "volunteered" to bring a salad. Ah well, it's for a good cause.

The food is
Middle Eastern veggie mezze
German food with home made sauerkraut
Street food from India
A rich and joyeuse beef casserole from France
Caribbean goat curry and the trimmings
My initial thought was to bring tabouli, but that may prove too expensive if I can only get parsley in tiny 30g bags. Also, I need to confirm that the mezze does not include tabouli.

The other 2 salads are coleslaw and a pasta salad, so whatever I bring should be fresh, green and leafy. My fall back is a simple mixed leaf with sliced tomatoes etc. but I'd really prefer something that was a little more unusual.

TL;DR
Can anyone suggest a simple, inexpensive green(ish) salad that can be made from ingredients available in any supermarket that is a little unusual and - dare I say it - ethnic?
0 x

Greg

Re: Salad suggestions: cheap, green and "international"

Post by Greg » 4 years ago

1 x

Iris

Post by Iris » 4 years ago

Lime jello marshmallow cottage cheese surprise

2 x

Iris

Post by Iris » 4 years ago

More helpfully, how about a nicoise?
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... de-nicoise
2 x

Dunckel

Post by Dunckel » 4 years ago

A simple Greek salad offends nobody
3 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

🙄

Turns out I've been misinformed. There is definitely coleslaw, but now I have found out the other salad will be a what's-in-the-veggie-drawer melange of greens, tomatoes et al.

But the salad nicoise has inspired me, the boiled eggs particularly. I'll make the tabouli if I can, otherwise a gado gado. Final fall back, sweet potato salad in a vinaigrette.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll be making a few on them with my leftovers.
1 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Procured cheap parsley and mint (3 bunches and 1 bunch for £1.50 total) so ended up making two salads.
Attachments
IMG_20191012_180459677.gif
5 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

I know you are all desperate to see the other offerings....
Attachments
IMG_20191012_190521610.jpg
IMG_20191012_190500684.jpg
IMG_20191012_190434467_BURST001.jpg
IMG_20191012_190424818.jpg
IMG_20191012_200241681.jpg
IMG_20191012_190415875.jpg
2 x

The Real Ravenhurst

Post by The Real Ravenhurst » 4 years ago

Joan wrote:
4 years ago
now I have found out the other salad will be a what's-in-the-veggie-drawer melange of greens, tomatoes et al.
Looks like there wasn't much in their veggie drawer, then. Your tabbouleh (if that's what it is) is clearly the star of the salad show.

All this talk of salade niçoise is making me fantasize about having a pan bagnat, which is the sort of sandwich equivalent and a strong contender for the world's greatest picnic item. I've recently discovered that Food Warehouse (a sort of Iceland store with knobs on, which happens to have a branch close to my workplace) does mahoosive bags of good-quality frozen french beans for a quid.
1 x

The Real Ravenhurst

Post by The Real Ravenhurst » 4 years ago

Joan wrote:
4 years ago
I know you are all desperate to see the other offerings....
The pot of German stuff is doing it for me. And you can't see the French beef stew but the guy serving it is a good advertisement for it. I've not eaten yet today.
1 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

I do think my tabouleh was the outstanding salad, from a small selection. I had sadly slightly over salted it, but not enough to be noticeable when consumed with other foods. Pretty proud of the other salad which was roughly 1kg each butternut squash, sweet potato and red onions and an entire head of garlic tossed in olive oil and over roasted. A splash of balsamic vinegar, more olive oil and salt and pepper while it was still warm. Very nice. I have a lot of left over, so have bought some feta to crumble over it. I had to tip the salads together to get them home in the rain - one bowl served as rain shield to the other, so there sprigs of parsley in every serving.

There was plenty of all salads left, so her sparse veggie drawer was big enough.

The German food was good, but slightly disappointing as my serve contained only wurst and - um - kale. I missed out on the sauerkraut and speck. You rightly detected the gourmand who made the French meal: it was excellent, mostly because of the excellent peeling of potatoes I pitched in on.

My favourite was probably the falafel with rose petal harrissa, marred by stale Waitrose pita. I used to live near an middle eastern bakery, and the first time I bought pita from there - you could watch it baking in the window - it was a revelation, so different from the supermarket variety. Then I ate some the next day, I found out: supermarket pita is stale. Pita is only great for a few hours.
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Any suggestions of what to do with 3 lemons and 1/2 bunch of beautiful fresh mint?
0 x