TV/Streaming shows

Ephemera and whimsy
LowlifeDes

Re: TV/Streaming shows

Post by LowlifeDes » 4 years ago

Just be happy that it isn't Brian Blessed.
1 x

JohnToo

Post by JohnToo » 4 years ago

Rutabaga wrote:
4 years ago
.... I thought Giri/Haji was fresh, involving, amusing, and interesting....
We caught up with the final episode last night and thought the whole series has been gripping. And this is from the Church Times ( ??? ) TV reviewer this week:
20191215_094624.jpg
2 x

Rutabaga

Post by Rutabaga » 4 years ago

JohnToo wrote:
4 years ago
We caught up with the final episode last night and thought the whole series has been gripping. And this is from the Church Times ( ??? ) TV reviewer this week:
20191215_094624.jpg
Yes, I loved it.
1 x

Iris

Post by Iris » 4 years ago

About half way through that sequence I realised it used very long takes. The whole thing (about 6 minutes of complex choreography, performed by actors, not dancers) was shot in at most three takes. The technical perfection alone was gobsmacking. And it was in every respect a brilliant show.
0 x

Iris

Post by Iris » 4 years ago

Speaking (again) of TV programmes for which I'm not exactly the target demographic...

https://www.channel5.com/show/worlds-st ... -man-2019/

One of the few televised sports where competitors are genuinely pleased to cheer each other on. And if you want to feel better about what's possible when you're not young, get hold of today's episode (17th December), scroll to 40 minutes or so and watch a 52-year-old unassuming man obliterate the world record for holding heavy pillars upright at arms length.
3 x

Whiskeyjack

Post by Whiskeyjack » 4 years ago

As a fan of the games (well iii at least) I have been looking forward to The Witcher. Pretty gruesome and I can almost forget that superman is playing Geralt of Rivia, he certainly has the growl down. Only one episode in so it’s early days, and I could have lived without the weird nudity scene, but has promise.
1 x

Greg

Post by Greg » 4 years ago

Just finished the most Excellent The Crown. Also learned S4 is already in the can - yippee.

Also about 6 episodes in to His Dark Materials.... its just starting to make sense... sort of.
2 x

Whiskeyjack

Greg wrote:
4 years ago
Just finished the most Excellent The Crown. Also learned S4 is already in the can - yippee.

Also about 6 episodes in to His Dark Materials.... its just starting to make sense... sort of.
Have you read the books? I thought His dark materials was a really good adaptation, A lot better than the movie. Dafne Keen was great as Lyra.

I’m almost done with season 4 of the expanse which has been pretty good, but not as good as 3. They changed the characters a lot in the show. one side character, who I absolutely hated in the books, is one of my favourite in the show. They made me like him and now I’m terrified they are going to be killed.
0 x

Greg

Post by Greg » 4 years ago

Whiskeyjack wrote:
4 years ago
Have you read the books? I thought His dark materials was a really good adaptation, A lot better than the movie. Dafne Keen was great as Lyra.

I’m almost done with season 4 of the expanse which has been pretty good, but not as good as 3. They changed the characters a lot in the show. one side character, who I absolutely hated in the books, is one of my favourite in the show. They made me like him and now I’m terrified they are going to be killed.
I've not ready any Phillip Pullman, have always been at the space end of SF. Might give it a go though.
1 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Regulator » 4 years ago

PSA: New series of Sex Education starts tomorrow :thumbsup:
0 x

Whiskeyjack

Greg wrote:
4 years ago
I've not ready any Phillip Pullman, have always been at the space end of SF. Might give it a go though.
The books started ok for me but It wouldn’t be my first choice as a recommendation for fantasy.

For sci-fi, at the risk of sounding like a broken record, and If you haven’t read it already, I can recommend leviathan wakes.
1 x

Whiskeyjack

Binging The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, I’m not sure what I expected but i after careful consideration I think it’s great.
0 x

Whiskeyjack

Binging The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, I’m not sure what I expected but after careful consideration I think it’s great.
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Joan » 4 years ago

Whiskeyjack wrote:
4 years ago
Binging The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, I’m not sure what I expected but after careful consideration I think it’s great.
Whiskeyjack wrote:
4 years ago
Binging The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, I’m not sure what I expected but i after careful consideration I think it’s great.
With 2 recommendations, I have to watch it 😂
1 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Joan » 4 years ago

Sorry, seriously thanks. It's on the list. Might move it closer to the top.
1 x