TV/Streaming shows

Ephemera and whimsy
Whiskeyjack

Re: TV/Streaming shows

Post by Whiskeyjack » 4 years ago

Joan wrote:
4 years ago
With 2 recommendations, I have to watch it 😂
dang, first I ended up somehow quoting myself, undoing it somehow double posted.
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

The Good Place, series finale.

Post by Joan » 4 years ago

I was disappointed with last week's The Good Place. It seemed - glib.
Spoiler
Show
Find a problem with heaven, fix it first try with a trivial solution. I mean, duh! everyone is miserably living forever, I could have told you that. The hard trick is to imagine a paradise that would stay paradise eternally. It just felt sophomoric.

Also, it completely undermined the big reveal season 1: Eleanor knew she wasn't in the Good Place, because they were unhappy. So they get to the Good Place for real, and everyone is unhappy. So... I don't know. Just disappointed, I guess
Despite that, I am saddened that I have downloaded the last episode ever. I might have sat on it for weeks, but I am going to use it to distract me so I don't notice the clock click over to 23.00.
1 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

ARGH. I got distracted and looked at a clock.

Also, there are fireworks
0 x

Sonic Budgie

Re: The Good Place, series finale.

Post by Sonic Budgie » 4 years ago

Joan wrote:
4 years ago
I was disappointed with last week's The Good Place. It seemed - glib.
Spoiler
Show
Find a problem with heaven, fix it first try with a trivial solution. I mean, duh! everyone is miserably living forever, I could have told you that. The hard trick is to imagine a paradise that would stay paradise eternally. It just felt sophomoric.

Also, it completely undermined the big reveal season 1: Eleanor knew she wasn't in the Good Place, because they were unhappy. So they get to the Good Place for real, and everyone is unhappy. So... I don't know. Just disappointed, I guess
Despite that, I am saddened that I have downloaded the last episode ever. I might have sat on it for weeks, but I am going to use it to distract me so I don't notice the clock click over to 23.00.
I was quite satisfied with the finale. There were ups and down's across the shows run, third series I think it was being particularly poor, maybe the second, I dunno, one of them, but overall I thought it was pretty darn good. But, it'd run its course and literally had nowhere left to go.
Anyway, last episode, thumbs up.
Know what you mean about sitting on things, I sat on the last season of Breaking Bad for about 6 months.
2 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Will read that later!

Just excited that Mrs Ted Danson (star of the Back to the Future series, if you ask me) has a cameo.

3 minutes to go to the end.
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Failed at distracting myself but, yes, I agree it was good. The penultimate episode was sacrificed for this one, but they made full use of it.

Not sure what to make of the last scene with Michael's mail, but maybe that will come with the inevitable rewatch.
1 x

Sonic Budgie

Joan wrote:
4 years ago
Failed at distracting myself but, yes, I agree it was good. The penultimate episode was sacrificed for this one, but they made full use of it.

Not sure what to make of the last scene with Michael's mail, but maybe that will come with the inevitable rewatch.
I thought there was supposed to have been another one, thank you for confirming, thought I'd gone mad.

I didn't read anything more into it than a bit of goodness landing on the fella changing his path a little.
2 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Ugh. Sorry folks, this worked when I told my VPN I was in Florida.

It's good, not unmissable.

1 x

Whiskeyjack

Finally watched the finale of the good place. I thought it was a good finish. It felt an impossible task, how can it end? it left me happy but sad at the same time.

Some idle thoughts:

I liked Michael's name, Michael Realman

Jason accidentally becoming a monk-ish

I think the mail was a piece of Eleanor which is why he smiled, that’s what I’m going with *sniff* Im not crying!

I also liked that even the demons showed growth. Shaun was trying to be nice but still had issues not sounding intimidating or sarcastic.

Jason being first surprised me but then he was the most straightforward character in his wants.

It got me thinking which IMO is the sign of a good show.
1 x

Sonic Budgie

Just finished the second series of Altered Carbon, it's decent enough but no where near as good as the first series. Worth a watch if you're a sci-fi fan, which I know some of you are.

I'd recommend Don't F*** with Cats. I'm not one generally for these inside the mind of a psychopath type things but I thought this was an incredible piece of television. With a guaranteed WTF at the end.
1 x

JohnToo

Post by JohnToo » 4 years ago

Iris wrote: ... We're just watching the first series of the bilingual Welsh crime series "Hidden" ....
We watched the first series almost in real time when it was first shown. Your use of "first" has alerted me to the fact that there is now a second series. We shall finish watching the current Scandi Noir we are working through (Wisting), that being essentially the same genre, then avidly start on Hidden s2. Thank you...
0 x

Iris

Post by Iris » 4 years ago

It was seeing the second series appear in the 9pm Saturday subtitled slot after Wisting and the repeats of Montalbano that reminded me I'd seen the first episode of S1 last year. Glad I've found the rest.
0 x

Whiskeyjack

Sonic Budgie wrote:
4 years ago
Just finished the second series of Altered Carbon, it's decent enough but no where near as good as the first series. Worth a watch if you're a sci-fi fan, which I know some of you are.
I thought it was good, though I have a problem with the show that with the existence of the 2nd Kovacs, its hard to ignore the fact they are all copies of people, not the original person. A little like Star Treks transporter problem.

As we are on Netflix, has anyone watched, Im not ok with this? It looks interesting.

Oh and give Another life a miss, one of the worst shows I've ever watched, literally switched it off and didn't go back.
1 x

Sonic Budgie

Whiskeyjack wrote:
4 years ago
I thought it was good, though I have a problem with the show that with the existence of the 2nd Kovacs, its hard to ignore the fact they are all copies of people, not the original person. A little like Star Treks transporter problem.

As we are on Netflix, has anyone watched, Im not ok with this? It looks interesting.

Oh and give Another life a miss, one of the worst shows I've ever watched, literally switched it off and didn't go back.
Wont bother with that then.
Not tried "I'm not ok with this" yet, but I'll get round to it I think, it's on the list.
I've been going through some of the Studio Gibli stuff instead and "The Stranger". Hells bells there's a lot going on in "The Stranger", it's good but it's as if they've tried to cram every psychological thriller in to one show!
0 x

Whiskeyjack

Well Disney+ has been released, and now most people are barred from going out, has anyone watched the Mandalorian now? :D

A word of warning, despite the fact it has all been released in the US, it's being released weekly here. Only the first two episodes are up.
0 x