Chris Morris has a new film out next week! :) It's called The Day Shall Come:

He talks to Jon Snow about it here:

3 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Movies

Post by Joan » 4 years ago

Anyone got a clue how they came up with this as the 100th anniversary of cinema? Cinema was well established by 1920, with the first feature film released in 1906, and the oldest surviving cinema opened in 1908. I searched the Wikipedia History of Film, and Movie Theatre pages and neither mentions any event that happened in 1920. According to the article, Leicester Square didn't have cinemas until the 30s.

https://www.timeout.com/london/news/cel ... are-011320
0 x

Lullabelle

Post by Lullabelle » 4 years ago

At the weekend we saw Current Wars, loud music, mumbled difficult to understand dialogue-disappointing
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Joan » 4 years ago

Lullabelle wrote:
4 years ago
At the weekend we saw Current Wars, loud music, mumbled difficult to understand dialogue-disappointing
I am sad you didn't enjoy your cinema experience, but I wasn't aware of this, so googled it...producer Harvey Weinstein.

So your post made me a little happy. I have put too much money in his pocket. I can skip this one.
1 x

Lullabelle

Post by Lullabelle » 4 years ago

Joan wrote:
4 years ago
I am sad you didn't enjoy your cinema experience, but I wasn't aware of this, so googled it...producer Harvey Weinstein.

So your post made me a little happy. I have put too much money in his pocket. I can skip this one.
It was a dvd watched at home.
1 x

JohnToo

Post by JohnToo » 4 years ago

Not a movie but we don't have a theatre thread.

London Mime Festival. I've seen mime before on occasion but it's not something I'd have sought out. But a friend took me to Dead Good by an outfit called Vamos. The ability to convey both narrative and depths of emotion by the subtlest gesture is amazing (it's full mask mime, so they don't get the advantage of facial expressions either). And I don't recall hearing so much audible and uncontrolled sobbing in an audience since Carousel at the National thirty years ago.
2 x

ransos

Post by ransos » 4 years ago

^ Being shallower than you, I went to see Book of Mormon. Much as you would expect from the creators of South Park, it's crude, outrageous and riotously funny. Think Avenue Q meets Life of Brian, given the full Broadway musical and choreography treatment, and you'll be close.
3 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Regulator » 4 years ago

ransos wrote:
4 years ago
^ Being shallower than you, I went to see Book of Mormon. Much as you would expect from the creators of South Park, it's crude, outrageous and riotously funny. Think Avenue Q meets Life of Brian, given the full Broadway musical and choreography treatment, and you'll be close.

I have it on my 'To See' list.
0 x

jollygoodthen

Post by jollygoodthen » 4 years ago

The last good movie I watched was True Grit, which I’ve seen before, but it was too good not to watch again.

The book was written by Charles Portis – interesting guy!

One of my favourites of all time:

0 x

Mister Paul

Post by Mister Paul » 4 years ago

I have a bit of a thing for Taika Waititi at the moment, so watched Boy last week.

Funny, laid back, nice relaxing pace, but thoughtful. I think being set in the 80s with Boy about the same age I was then helped.
0 x

jollygoodthen

Bah.

I just watched a trailer, it looks good. As consolation, I’ll listen to this again, from another [late] New Zealander.

0 x

Mister Paul

Post by Mister Paul » 4 years ago

jollygoodthen wrote:
4 years ago
Bah.

I just watched a trailer, it looks good. As consolation, I’ll listen to this again, from another [late] New Zealander.

It's on Amazon for free at the moment.
0 x

jollygoodthen

“Free” is about all we’ve got left in our entertainment budget. I’ve used up my Amazon Prime trial, but if history is a guide, another will be along later.
0 x

Greg

Post by Greg » 4 years ago

Saw Joker the night before last and ruddy brilliant it is too.
1 x

JohnToo

Post by JohnToo » 4 years ago

Saw David Copperfield last night...

Good fun, and multiple superb actors none of whom tried to steal the show - but we were left slightly wondering whether it had a point beyond good entertainment (not that there's anything wrong with entertainment) - had Dickens' social commentary got a bit lost somewhere?
0 x