Not cycling, but still important.

Moderator: Joan

Lullabelle

Re: Covid-19 Pandemic Thread

Post by Lullabelle » 3 years ago

Joan wrote:
3 years ago
Glad he's home. You must be relieved.

Was it an n95 mask? Only face mask I have tried is my homemade nonsense.

I cannot tell you...he will have to go back in but hopefully he will be well enough to have the procedure. We are going to see him next weekend and I am going to tidy his hair for him because barbers are still closed.

It was a standard NHS green jobbie, awful but happy to wear it.
2 x

LowlifeDes

Post by LowlifeDes » 3 years ago

Lullabelle wrote:
3 years ago
I was in Sainsburys this morning, the 1 person per trolley rule apparently no longer applies, nor does the 2m apart rule.
Well, to be fair, we have apparently moved from level 4/3 to level 1. If that isn't a miracle, I don't know what is.
1 x

Lullabelle

Post by Lullabelle » 3 years ago

LowlifeDes wrote:
3 years ago
Well, to be fair, we have apparently moved from level 4/3 to level 1. If that isn't a miracle, I don't know what is.

To be honest I have lost track of what is going on, the briefings all appear to be ramblings.
2 x

LowlifeDes

Post by LowlifeDes » 3 years ago

Lullabelle wrote:
3 years ago
To be honest I have lost track of what is going on, the briefings all appear to be ramblings.
This could be incompetence, or part of a plan
0 x

Iris

Post by Iris » 3 years ago

I never thought one of Busoni's blustering expansions of Bach would be such an emotional experience.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006tny5
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Joan » 3 years ago

LowlifeDes wrote:
3 years ago
This could be incompetence, or part of a plan
It's almost certainly both 😔
0 x

Rutabaga

Post by Rutabaga » 3 years ago

Like a lot of people, Simon Hattenstone in today's Guardian wonders whether he caught the virus in February, but he has been unable to get a clear diagnosis. I think the article is an interesting narrative, with its variety of approaches to the author by NHS employees that seem, unsurprisingly, to be driven by the ever-shifting attitudes and pronouncements from the government. Interesting, but not all that reassuring in many ways, although Hattenstone does seem to be getting better now, which is good (he had a medical history that complicated things a bit).
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... s-covid-19
1 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Weddings in the time of coronavirus....

You're allowed to get married in Australia now. Looks a bit 😔
Attachments
received_248111306475417.jpeg
0 x

Mister Paul

Re: Weddings in the time of coronavirus....

Post by Mister Paul » 3 years ago

Joan wrote:
3 years ago
As long as they let Angry Anderson in...
0 x

Whiskeyjack

Re: Weddings in the time of coronavirus....

Post by Whiskeyjack » 3 years ago

Joan wrote:
3 years ago
:-( A colleague I worked with recently had been planning her wedding for months and had to cancel it.

My 10th wedding anniversary is in a few days so I'm having to plan something a bit low key for the two of us.

That's kind of my preference anyway though O:-)
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

I think it's sad that we now conflate wedding and marriage. I understand not being able to hold a formal wedding, with crowds and ceremonies, but a simple marriage contract that requires 5 people in room (couple, 2 witnesses and the registrar) seems to me an essential service. As common law marriages are not recognised under UK law, not being able to formalise a relationship may be leaving some people in a very tenuous legal position, especially if their partner dies without them having the opportunity to marry.
0 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Regulator » 3 years ago

One of Mr R's colleagues has developed Covid19, so he requires a test. He was told about this last week - but the first NHS test available was today (five days later).

My employer did say that they would test him on Friday or Saturday of last week if he wanted but he'd already booked the appointment for today.
0 x

Greg

Post by Greg » 3 years ago

Stolen from Visagelivre....

When the second coronavirus spike comes, which it will, your phone will tell you it was because people protested against citizens being tortured to death in the street in a free democracy like yours.
They won’t mention the impact of reopening schools or McDonalds or sending people back to work on jam-packed trains.
They won’t tell you that people selling decking paint were “key workers.”
They won’t mention the weeks of healthcare workers risking their lives at the peak of the pandemic without adequate PPE, partly because our government was selling it abroad and turning down requests from small producers.
They won’t mention that black people are dying of the virus at three times the rate of white people. In the USA, that’s about one in two thousand of the entire black population.
They won’t mention that we are going to miss out on a chunk of the two trillion euro economic recovery fund being offered by the EU to members because a professional liar promised £350million a week for the NHS, yet we’re still supporting that by clapping on a Thursday night.
They won’t mention the fact they spent three months avoiding telling you to wear face coverings before changing their minds and saying “oh... right... yeah, you need to do that now...” (do note that the vast majority of the protesters are wearing face coverings)
They won’t show you photos of VE Day conga lines but they will show you pictures of graffitied wartime heroes, white marble plinths which can be cleaned a lot easier than half a millennia of blood on our hands.
They won’t say British Covid deaths accounted for 10% of the global total, despite the fact British people make up less than 1% of the global population.
They won’t show this picture. Ice Cream Matters.
They’ll tell you it was millennials with a black square that caused this
0 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Regulator » 3 years ago

Some good news...

Mr R's test came back negative and he's now had the jab* in the vaccine trial. He was briefly pictured in the report on the local BBC news last night. :thumbsup:

*We don't whether its the actual vaccine or the placebo vaccine.
2 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Apparently 20-30% of people who have coronavirus test negative.
0 x