Moderator: Joan

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Covid-19 Pandemic Thread

Post by Regulator » 3 years ago

Joan wrote:
3 years ago
Apparently 20-30% of people who have coronavirus test negative.
I'm wary of those sort of statistics...

The PCR tests themselves are quite accurate. The problem is usually with the sample - either not being taken properly (it's quite difficult to administer - especially to yourself), mislabelled or mishandled.

Some of the antibody tests that are currently on the market do have high false negative rates. The UK-RTC is taking a very precautionary approach which, fingers crossed, means their antibody test should be more accurate than even the latest ones from the USA (the Abbott Labs test).
0 x

Sonic Budgie

Post by Sonic Budgie » 3 years ago

Not done an update for yonks.
Actually there's not an awful lot to tell. It's felt a bit weird for a week or so, like a pause button has been pressed. Basically we're ready to rock and roll, there are some minor bits and bobs but nothing time consuming, we'd need more PPE and more elements of medical, but the infrastructure is there.
The facility itself is extraordinary, with, as I may have mentioned before, the general consensus being, from those in the know that have visited various sites, that it's way beyond any of the other facilities, including Parc y Scarletts and Principality which are supposed to be the Hywel Dda and Wales flagship field hospitals respectively.
There is talk that it may be used for patients recovering from minor surgery, the board hospitals are starting to fill up at a rate of knots and as they start to get back to some level of normality and there has been, as expected, a raft of admissions from people that had been holding off going to the docs. Of course, there is also the likelihood of a second wave, the severity of that may mean it gets used for it's original purpose. But, for now, the big guns are deciding how they're going to play it, to hibernate or not.
On a personal note my contract is due to expire on the 30th June. I have had an email, sent to all those due to finish soon, offering the option of either finishing or declaring an interest in staying on if a position (temporary) were available. I've gone for the second option. There's a lot of stuff looming on the horizon and we're not through this yet either of course, so the security of a regular salary would be most welcome currently. My gut tells me that if it doesn't open, or if a decision has not been made as to when it will open, then I will likely be shown the door.
4 x

The Real Ravenhurst

Post by The Real Ravenhurst » 3 years ago

Some good news. Michael Rosen is well enough to Tweet again. This cheers me up immensely.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2020/ ... oronavirus
5 x

Rutabaga

Post by Rutabaga » 3 years ago

The town seemed almost as busy as pre-pandemic days today, and at gone 6.30 this evening the queue for Sports Direct was about a quarter of a mile long.
0 x

Mister Paul

Post by Mister Paul » 3 years ago

Rutabaga wrote:
3 years ago
The town seemed almost as busy as pre-pandemic days today, and at gone 6.30 this evening the queue for Sports Direct was about a quarter of a mile long.
That'll be because they're doing 50% off for NHS today.
0 x

Rutabaga

I hadn't heard about that.
0 x

Rutabaga

Well done Marcus Rashford.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53065806
4 x

Lullabelle

Post by Lullabelle » 3 years ago

Today my colleague was complaining about the unfairness of people being paid to sit at home yet we still have to work-I pointed out that nobody chose covid, yes she knows but it still isn't fair.
0 x

Sonic Budgie

Had my line manager come to see me today. He's asked about my feelings regarding staying on if something were available, don't know why he hasn't been told about the email but there we go, anyway I've told him I'd be happy to. However, currently, as expected, there's nothing going, so, at the end of my contract they're going to put me on bank. They may call me straight back in after the 30th, but who knows.
But, wait, there's more. I've accrued 7 days leave, which means that today was my last day. As it was late afternoon I've said I'll work tomorrow, make sure everything is shipshape, check that everyone knows what they're doing and then leave them to it. Bit fed up now to be honest, I've enjoyed myself :(

Anyway, have a bit of Nelly.

3 x

JohnToo

Post by JohnToo » 3 years ago

Commiserations.

Bank may not be an empty gesture. One of our local hospitals is getting lots of people set up on bank, we assume because they think a second wave is likely enough to justify significant preparations.
1 x

Rutabaga

Lullabelle wrote:
3 years ago
Today my colleague was complaining about the unfairness of people being paid to sit at home yet we still have to work-I pointed out that nobody chose covid, yes she knows but it still isn't fair.
Yes, it must be great sitting at home on 80% of your pay, while your bills and outgoings remain the same or even increase, worrying that you might suddenly be made redundant when the scheme comes to an end. Just like being on holiday.
1 x

Lullabelle

Rutabaga wrote:
3 years ago
Yes, it must be great sitting at home on 80% of your pay, while your bills and outgoings remain the same or even increase, worrying that you might suddenly be made redundant when the scheme comes to an end. Just like being on holiday.

Her 2 kids aren't going to school so they are at home all day using up silly amounts of electricity, her bills are going up so lower wages would be a disaster, they barely break even as it is.

Watching the news, the redundancies etc...awful. I do hope the government help as much as possible to help those who really need it, although said colleague claims money and free school dinners will go to those who can't be bothered to work-they get everything whereas those who do work get nothing. She is very bitter
0 x

Sonic Budgie

JohnToo wrote:
3 years ago
Commiserations.

Bank may not be an empty gesture. One of our local hospitals is getting lots of people set up on bank, we assume because they think a second wave is likely enough to justify significant preparations.
Thank you.
I'm in with a good shout. I don't want to be blowing my own trumpet but I've certainly made an impression and am very well regarded. I think if the situation arose then I would be first in line.
I was however primed for the 30th, the accrued holiday thing only came up around a fortnight ago, so you're not really left with any time to take it, it was a bit of a shock to be told that I may as well knock off there and then and not come back, however well intentioned.
4 x

Lullabelle

Since the announcement that we are going back into lock down, I have received a lot of phone calls from suppliers asking if we are still open-yes we are, nothing has changed.
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Joan » 3 years ago

In contrast with the lackadaisical response to Leicester, Australia is responding to 106 cases with locking down entire suburbs and - though this worries me a lot - putting 9 "council" tower blocks on hard lockdown.

I'm impressed with level of response, but I am not sure telling hundreds of people they can't step out the front door of their tiny flat into the lift lobby is in the public interest. I wonder how many non-covid fatalities will result. 😔
0 x