Meanwhile...

Ephemera and whimsy
Lullabelle

Re: Meanwhile...

Post by Lullabelle » 3 years ago

Sonic Budgie wrote:
3 years ago
I was 51 during lockdown, but as far as I'm aware it doesn't count and there's been an extension put on birthdays similar to the one on MOTs, so I think that means I'm still 50.

Due to the world being oh hold I did toy with the idea of staying 49 for another year.

Dunckle is fine thank you.
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Joan » 3 years ago

Because I only moved to the UK in '99, I don' t have any personal connection to Maradona. I have an idea how important he was to the English. In 2002 England vs Argentina, everyone in the office wanted to explain hand-of-God to me. By the fourth time, I had to tell them I knew. He is a very important personage in the English psyche. That gives me a tiny glimmer of how important he was in the Argentinian psyche. This post isn't about that.

There was a report in the Metro about the funeral home workers who shared selfies they had taken with Maradona's corpse. They only named one, Diego Molina. The owner of the funeral home, Diego Picon responded seemingly genuinely heart-broken.

So, my takeaway? Everyone is Argentina is called Diego.

Or Evita.
1 x

JohnToo

Post by JohnToo » 3 years ago

Screenshot 2020-12-17 095037.png
Wow. Some people get to have their Christmas plans published in the Guardian! Enjoy...
3 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Regulator » 3 years ago

JohnToo wrote:
3 years ago
Screenshot 2020-12-17 095037.png

Wow. Some people get to have their Christmas plans published in the Guardian! Enjoy...

She 's just a a copycat, as she knew our plans.... ;D
1 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Regulator wrote:
3 years ago
She 's just a a copycat, as she knew our plans.... ;D
She also has a better PR agent than you...or did your plans make the telegraph?
1 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Virtue is it's own punishment

I don't know if I've mentioned it, but I am an NHS Responder. Before I had enough sense to hide my number, quite a few needy people put me in their contacts. I am telling this lady it's the last time I can help her. I want to strangle her. I will send her a link to the tesco app, and Morrison's customer service number.

Note: she knows I don't have a car, so keeps asking me if I can get a driver for the weekend.
Attachments
Screenshot_20201218-183526_1.png
0 x

Mister Paul

Post by Mister Paul » 3 years ago

We're seeing some of this down here. What started off as emergency provision turns into a free personal shopper.
2 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Oh, it continues.

I only "read" her messages to take a screenshot.

(I can't tell you how many responses I have typed and then backspaced)
Attachments
Screenshot_20201218-195921-569.png
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Latest message typed and deleted
"my mother taught me if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all"
0 x

Mister Paul

Post by Mister Paul » 3 years ago

I find the search option for gifs to be very useful
1 x

Iris

Post by Iris » 3 years ago

This is what I've been doing recently.

It'll go up on youtube later today:
3 x

JohnToo

Post by JohnToo » 3 years ago

Iris wrote:
3 years ago
This is what...
Well, we sang our once-a-year Rutter last night, so I'm a happy man. (Also Bethlehem Down so i'm doubly happy. And completely unrepentant of my musical tastes.)
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

I got this from a neighbour just around the corner from me....
Hi Joan, hope your Xmas was a good one. Just wanted to let you know there have been 2 senseless attacks on neighbours of ours in the last few days, one a young mother in the passage at the side of our house has head injuries, the other a man walking his dog <other side of main road> was knocked to the ground, breaking his ankle - he saw his attackers high-five as he lay on the pavement. Both victims are frightened to share information on social media for fear of reprisals & the police have asked people locally to spread the information personally, not on social media, so local people can be aware & stay safe. Maybe you could let neighbours on <road> know? The attackers seen by the male victim were 4 black youths on powered scooters who have been seen recently around <junction>

So, that's great. I hope I don't become reflexively racist; young black men on scooters are pretty common. I am happy to say so far I have only twitched at passing scooters, not passing black youths.

If it's not obvious, I live in a generally safe area, so this unusual.
0 x

Sonic Budgie

Post by Sonic Budgie » 3 years ago

Joan wrote:
3 years ago
I got this from a neighbour just around the corner from me....

So, that's great. I hope I don't become reflexively racist; young black men on scooters are pretty common. I am happy to say so far I have only twitched at passing scooters, not passing black youths.

If it's not obvious, I live in a generally safe area, so this unusual.
I'm sure you won't Joan. That's horrendous though, take care!
1 x

Lullabelle

Post by Lullabelle » 3 years ago

Yesterday morning I found a patch of ice, didn't know it was there until I ended up on the floor! Landed on my left side, shoulder, arm, hip and back are stiff, ribs are really painfull, great-time off work and I can't enjoy it due to the pain. Ah well...others have things a lot worse.
1 x