Covid-19 Pandemic Thread

Not cycling, but still important.

Moderator: Joan

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Covid-19 Pandemic Thread

Post by Joan » 3 years ago

Australians (who have nearly wiped out community transmission and have less than 1000 deaths in total) have little sympathy for tennis players who think they should not be inconvenienced just to protect the populace.

Paging Dr Djokovic: public health guru pens prescription for lockdown fever
0 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Regulator » 3 years ago

My vaccination is booked for tomorrow morning at 9.45 am. Luckily it's at the Royal Papworth, on the Addenbrookes campus.
2 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Regulator wrote:
3 years ago
My vaccination is booked for tomorrow morning at 9.45 am. Luckily it's at the Royal Papworth, on the Addenbrookes campus.
Do you know what you are getting?
(in my brief experience, they don't tell you, but you have more of an inside track than I do)
0 x

Sonic Budgie

Post by Sonic Budgie » 3 years ago

Don't think I mentioned, I had mine a week ago. I had the Pfizer.

Arm hurt like buggery the next day!
2 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Have we achieved a higher rate of vaccination than the over 80s? 🤔
1 x

Greg

Post by Greg » 3 years ago

Joan wrote:
3 years ago
Do you know what you are getting?
(in my brief experience, they don't tell you, but you have more of an inside track than I do)
I thought they did? Be funny if Reg got Pfizer with the new 'state of the art' AZ facility being slap bang next door.
0 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Regulator » 3 years ago

Greg wrote:
3 years ago
I thought they did? Be funny if Reg got Pfizer with the new 'state of the art' AZ facility being slap bang next door.
I was due to get the Pfizer vaccine but, when I turned up this morning, their delivery hadn’t arrived so I got the AZ vaccine instead - which I was happy with.

I have to say, the vaccination operation at the Royal Papworth was very slick - and it gave me the opportunity to catch up with a few colleagues who I haven’t seen for almost a year ‘in the flesh’.
2 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Regulator wrote:
3 years ago
I was due to get the Pfizer vaccine but, when I turned up this morning, their delivery hadn’t arrived so I got the AZ vaccine instead
Sorry @Greg, this is what I meant. You can't know in advance which you will get for sure. They tell you what you have got,though.

I agree, I would have been happy with either, though having seen 28 Days Later, glad to be avoiding the potential risk of being injected with monkey rage virus.

😂
1 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

I have antibodies 🕺 💃🥂🎉👯

On a related note, it seems I have finally defeated my needle phobia.
4 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Why do I go on Facebook? I shared the fact I had this test with other NHS volunteers, and I got girlsplained. Ladysplained? Whatever.

This was after I had sent her a link to the test I used, and then told her it was the exact test I used. And then the training video. And mentioned the blood.

She stopped posting after this 🙄
Attachments
Screenshot_20210128-175917.png
1 x

Rutabaga

Post by Rutabaga » 3 years ago

Anyone going to do the clap at 6pm tonight? Personally I think Boris can fuck off with his pointless distractions.
2 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

That's tonight? I saw the headline, and felt no need to look more closely

I am all in favour of bread and circuses (well not bread exactly, and circuses are all animal cruelty and terrifying clowns, but you get the point) , but claps? Sorry, no. That is so 2020.

Long day actually doing something to get us past this crisis. Now going to hunker down with a glass of wine, and not step outside until the morrow.

Edit: I respected Tom Moore, and mourn him. I just feel it's such an empty gesture for a life that was the exact opposite.

PPS 125,000 birthday cards while he is around to see them, that's a proper tribute.

🤔 No sounds of applause outside.
Attachments
Bedford school dining hall filled with birthday cards for Capt Tom Moore 290420 CREDIT BFBS.jpg
1 x

LowlifeDes

Post by LowlifeDes » 3 years ago

Rutabaga wrote:
3 years ago
Anyone going to do the clap at 6pm tonight? Personally I think Boris can fuck off with his pointless distractions.
Just say no to gestures

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 99301.html
4 x

Rutabaga

Post by Rutabaga » 3 years ago

I had the AZ vaccine yesterday; as a volunteer in the food redistribution sector I am classed as a key worker. The whole operation was very slick, and as it was early evening the vaccination centre was nigh-on deserted. They give you a card to carry with details of what you had, which you need to produce when you have the second jab. On the way out of the hall I was able to make an appointment for that second injection in April.

Today I feel a bit rough and tired, as if I'm getting a cold, but it's nothing paracetamol can't handle so it's all good.
4 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Glad you have had it.

I gather symptoms are generally worse after the second jab or if you have had coronavirus. Any nasty colds over 2020?
0 x