Covid-19 Pandemic Thread

Not cycling, but still important.

Moderator: Joan

Iris

Re: Covid-19 Pandemic Thread

Post by Iris » 3 years ago

I suspect it's a combination of cabin fever, being very run down (working like this is tiring anyway, let alone when you've got a team to run and some difficult issues to deal with) and the usual MH issues - winter-related and regular. The cough is much better. I'll see how I feel in the morning, but it's quite likely I'll try and talk to the GP.

There's a reasonable chance that I caught The Bug quite mildly nearly a year ago - there was a case in one of the offices that was confirmed a few weeks later, quite early in the chaos. If so, it could be something periodic and post-viral.
1 x

LowlifeDes

Post by LowlifeDes » 3 years ago

Joan wrote:
3 years ago
That is such good news, and a very impressive turnaround on the test.
They are very fast now. I realised last Thursday lunchtime that I had been coughing a lot all morning. I was able to book a test that afternoon at the local walk in site. I walked down there, saw about four people working and one other person having a test. Did the test and stuck it in the box. The text message with my result came the next day at lunchtime. At under 24hrs all together, that is pretty good.
The difficult bit is getting the swab to touch your tonsils, without touching your tongue on the way past in either direction.
2 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Joan » 3 years ago

I've done so many many lateral flow tests, now, I think I have nearly got the hang of it. If I nearly throw up and then I sneeze, I know it's a good'un.
0 x

Lullabelle

Post by Lullabelle » 3 years ago

A colleague and good friend has epilepsy amongst other things, when he had his jab he was advised that it may interfere with his epilepsy meds, it did, he had hallucinations for a couple of days and felt very unwell. Thankfully he is better now but a worrying time.
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Lullabelle wrote:
3 years ago
A colleague and good friend has epilepsy amongst other things, when he had his jab he was advised that it may interfere with his epilepsy meds, it did, he had hallucinations for a couple of days and felt very unwell. Thankfully he is better now but a worrying time.
Oh dear! We just had a epileptic go into two grand mal seizures immediately after being vaccinated. Apparently she screamed in pain (the injection is usually painless), said "I'm think I'm going to fit", and then she she was gone. 2 GPs on attendance and EMTs called.

She recovered.

Maybe epilepsy needs to be added to the list of things we should be watching out for
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

IMG_20210214_095738832.jpg
0 x

Lullabelle

Joan wrote:
3 years ago
Oh dear! We just had a epileptic go into two grand mal seizures immediately after being vaccinated. Apparently she screamed in pain (the injection is usually painless), said "I'm think I'm going to fit", and then she she was gone. 2 GPs on attendance and EMTs called.

She recovered.

Maybe epilepsy needs to be added to the list of things we should be watching out for
Must be pretty scary.
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Lullabelle wrote:
3 years ago
Must be pretty scary.
I think it was. I wasn't a direct witness, but the person I spoke to who was seemed pretty shaken. She'd never seen a epileptic fit before.
0 x

Lullabelle

Someone will be allergic or have a bad reaction to a vaccine, unfortunately some covid deniers (?) are jumping on this to promote false information and scare people into not having it.
0 x

JohnToo

Post by JohnToo » 3 years ago

I have only once witnessed an adult epileptic fit and it was indeed scary. But from a First Aid perspective, epileptic fits are a relief. With most other medical emergencies, you actually have to do something, and therefore have all the stress of remembering what it is you're supposed to do and whether you are doing it right. But with epileptic fits, the basic First Aid is don't do anything, which is at least easy if still scary...
1 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Regulator » 3 years ago

Second dose now booked for Tuesday 6 April. Again, at the Royal Papworth, which is a short cycle from the house.
2 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

That's good. I need to talk to my GP and make sure I will get called up within 12 weeks of my first jab, so six weeks from Friday.

Chances of scoring 2nd dose from volunteering seem slim to none.
0 x

LowlifeDes

Post by LowlifeDes » 3 years ago

Joan wrote:
3 years ago
That's good. I need to talk to my GP and make sure I will get called up within 12 weeks of my first jab, so six weeks from Friday.

Chances of scoring 2nd dose from volunteering seem slim to none.
That doesn't sound right. Surely everyone who has had a first dose needs to be in a program to get their second otherwise was it worthwhile?
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Sorry, maybe I am garbled.

I will talk to my GP to ensure that I will get my second vaccine on "schedule". If it is not automatic, I will find out what I need to do to make it happen.

So that's that.

But I harboured a secret hope that I might be able to blag a second dose the way I got the first. I tried suggesting that today. The pharmacist I said it to ("if you are going to throw any away") immediately said "when did we have ours?" to his colleague.

That made me realise I wouldn't get any leftovers until there were no volunteers who had never been vaccinated or HCW who had one dose of Pfizer. So almost certainly, I will have to wait for my GP.
1 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Regulator » 3 years ago

Your GP should have been told when you had your first dose and they should arrange the second dose accordingly.
2 x