TV/Streaming shows

Ephemera and whimsy
Rutabaga

Re: TV/Streaming shows

Post by Rutabaga » 2 years ago

As there's precedent for including radio in this thread, I want to share that I am dismayed to discover that Radio 4 has commissioned a comedy quis show in which minor celebrities have to guess how old other celebrities are. I think it might be the lamest, most unfunny thing I"ve evef stumbled upon. Monkey tennis would be better.
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Joan » 2 years ago

Rutabaga wrote:
2 years ago
As there's precedent for including radio in this thread, I want to share that I am dismayed to discover that Radio 4 has commissioned a comedy quis show in which minor celebrities have to guess how old other celebrities are. I think it might be the lamest, most unfunny thing I"ve evef stumbled upon. Monkey tennis would be better.
Is it as bad as The Party's Over? 🤯

Fair warning, thanks. I listened to the trailer and found myself googling the ages of Barry Gibb and Richard Gere, the only celebs mentioned in the 2 minutes - so that makes me their core demographic, and I don't want to go down that rabbit hole.

NB: Their ages were uninteresting, but Gere's middle name is.

Seriously: Richard Tiffany Gere? Lucky he is beautiful.
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

PS. Missed or had forgotten the whole Monkey Tennis thing, but somehow remembered Youth Hostelling with Chris Eubanks. Loved the nostalgic 🤭
0 x

Whiskeyjack

Post by Whiskeyjack » 2 years ago

I did enjoy the latest ted Lasso this week
Ted.PNG
Ted2.png
ted3.PNG
1 x

Whiskeyjack

Post by Whiskeyjack » 2 years ago

Watched Bo Burnham: Inside on Netflix, I'm not sure I could describe what its about but I thought it was brilliant. It was filmed and written alone during lockdown, I may have to watch his other stuff now.
1 x

Rutabaga

Did anyone else watch the two startling opening episodes of Paris Police 1900? For once the 'contains scenes that some of you might find upsetting' advice was spot-on (but, phew, 'no animals were harmed in the making of this series'). It's complex, brutal, and intriguing so far, and I'll be watching more.

Call the Midwife (and Ridley Road) it ain't, thank god.
1 x

Greg

Post by Greg » 2 years ago

Just finished Squid Game. Kind of a Korean Hunger Games, except good.
1 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

10 years ago, I would have been downloading that from some obscure bit torrent site, and watching through a laptop plugged into the TV.

Now it's the most popular thing on Netflix, and I haven't seen it yet, and I am having to work hard to avoid spoilers.

Or at least resist clicking on "A real doctor reacts to the injuries on Squid Game"
0 x

Rutabaga

Two hours of new documentary about Frank Zappa tonight (BBC4, 9pm). I know he had some views and wrote some lyrics that wouldn't be so acceptable today, and a lot of his output was incomprehensible to many (including me), but I always really liked his style somehow.
2 x

jollygoodthen

Post by jollygoodthen » 2 years ago

I didn’t really get into Squid Game until the tug of war, which was brilliant.

My favourite recent streamathon has been The Queen’s Gambit, which I just watched again.

Still waiting for Better Call Saul and Ozark to finish their runs.

1 x

jollygoodthen

Post by jollygoodthen » 2 years ago

Whiskeyjack wrote:
2 years ago
I really enjoyed For all mankind which is a what if the Russians got to the moon scenario. Another enjoyable one which resulted in the continuation of space exploration beyond what actually happened and, inadvertently, female astronauts much sooner then in our reality.
0 x

Mister Paul

Post by Mister Paul » 2 years ago

jollygoodthen wrote:
2 years ago
I didn’t really get into Squid Game until the tug of war, which was brilliant.

My favourite recent streamathon has been The Queen’s Gambit, which I just watched again.

Still waiting for Better Call Saul and Ozark to finish their runs.

The tug of war was that good that we left the suspense and didn't watch the next episode until the following day.
0 x

Mister Paul

Post by Mister Paul » 2 years ago

I've only recently found Norsemen.

It's Norwegian, spoken in English, and worth it just for the accents. It starts off good and wavers but is worth sticking with. Funny, explicit, weird.
0 x