Bollocks to Brexit

Not cycling, but still important.

Moderator: Joan

Dunckel

Re: Bollocks to Brexit

Post by Dunckel » 5 years ago

Fair play to the Star for giving up any pretence that they are a newspaper. There is clearly a small matket for daily gossip rags and they know their audience.
0 x

Dunckel

I just watched Corbyn open the no confidence debate, hmmmm....

Perhaps this script just released by Jonathan Pie would have hit home in a fraction of the time.

Normal Pie NSFW warning applies.
3 x

Greg

Post by Greg » 5 years ago

Day 1: Corbyn: "Stop running down the clock, lets have a no confidence vote"

Day 2: <A whole day of pointless debate>

Day 3: May: "Right, where were we?"
2 x

Rocky

Post by Rocky » 5 years ago

We saw Richard II at the local cinema last night. Really good production from the Almeida Theatre with Simon Russell Beale as Richard......this famous speech (from a dying John O'Gaunt) reminds me of Britain today (particularly the last few lines)

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle,
This earth of majesty, this seat of Mars,
This other Eden, demi-paradise,
This fortress built by Nature for herself
Against infection and the hand of war,
This happy breed of men, this little world,
This precious stone set in the silver sea,
As is the sepulchre in stubborn Jewry,
Of the world's ransom, blessed Mary's Son,
This land of such dear souls, this dear dear land,
Dear for her reputation through the world,
Is now leased out, I die pronouncing it,
Like to a tenement or pelting farm:
England, bound in with the triumphant sea
Whose rocky shore beats back the envious siege
Of watery Neptune, is now bound in with shame,
With inky blots and rotten parchment bonds:
That England, that was wont to conquer others,
Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
2 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Joan » 5 years ago

I've been thinking about this: how can she not resign? Worst defeat in Commons history (so says google, @Regulator will be along shortly to correct me :D ) She took on the leadership with a promise to bring us brexit, her rallying cry in the disastrous general election was "Strong and stable".
"We are living through an important moment in our country’s history. Following the referendum we face a time of great national change and I know because we’re Great Britain that we will rise ot the challenge.

"As we leave the European Union, we will forge a new, bold, positive role for ourselves in the world, and we will make Britain a country that works, not for the privileged few, but for every one of us.

"That will be the mission of the government I lead, and together, we will build a better Britain."
I think that she took over as captain just after we struck the iceberg. I think it was unwinnable from the start. That doesn't matter. She has failed. She has failed worse than I could have imagined. She has to step down.

I say that believing anyone else in the party would be worse than her, but sometimes you have to fall on your sword.

Hmm, bit peckish. I think I will make myself a shit sandwich. Hmm, shit.
2 x

Dunckel

Joan wrote:
5 years ago
I've been thinking about this: how can she not resign? Worst defeat in Commons history (so says google, @Regulator will be along shortly to correct me :D ) She took on the leadership with a promise to bring us brexit, her rallying cry in the disastrous general election was "Strong and stable".

I think that she took over as captain just after we struck the iceberg. I think it was unwinnable from the start. That doesn't matter. She has failed. She has failed worse than I could have imagined. She has to step down.

I say that believing anyone else in the party would be worse than her, but sometimes you have to fall on your sword.

Hmm, bit peckish. I think I will make myself a shit sandwich. Hmm, shit.
I think in normal times there would be those in the party advising her to stand aside, but there is no line of succession, and all factions need her plan to utterly collapse before stepping in; The no dealers want the clock run down so they can blame all the economic woes that follow on May's lack of planning. The Remainers who want to see the process stopped also need the clock running out so they can demonstrate that the whole thing is impossible, and the Peoples Voters need complete impasse so they can dodge responsibility and hand the problem back to the electorate.

The Labour party is also utterly divided and I suggest that a general election now would be terrible for them because they would have to show their hand completely and potentially be left holding the whole stinking pile.

I don't rule out May walking away after winning the confidence motion.
1 x

Dunckel

0 x

LowlifeDes

Post by LowlifeDes » 5 years ago

I cannot help but think that Corbyn should have agreed to sit down and talk before saying that there is nothing to be achieved when faced with such pig headed intransigence. At the very least it would have closed off one small element of criticism to be directed at him.
1 x

Greg

LowlifeDes wrote:
5 years ago
I cannot help but think that Corbyn should have agreed to sit down and talk before saying that there is nothing to be achieved when faced with such pig headed intransigence. At the very least it would have closed off one small element of criticism to be directed at him.
Seems a bit of an own goal, just as I was warming to his customs union Brexit policy too :(
0 x

Rutabaga

Post by Rutabaga » 5 years ago

LowlifeDes wrote:
5 years ago
And when he reported that there is nothing to be achieved, he would be accused of pig headed intransigence. I think he is doing the only thing he can here.
1 x

Greg

There's undoubtedly a majority in the commons not to leave without a deal.
There's also probably a majority for a customs union deal.

They all know this. Its time to quit the political posturing and just crack on.

Its pathetic.
1 x

Fabbers

Post by Fabbers » 5 years ago

Greg wrote:
5 years ago
There's undoubtedly a majority in the commons not to leave without a deal.
There's also probably a majority for a customs union deal.

They all know this. Its time to quit the political posturing and just crack on.

Its pathetic.
And in the country an ever increasing majority for no Brexit....
0 x

Fabbers

Post by Fabbers » 5 years ago

...and, May is not prepared to compromise on her red-lines. So what’s the point in talking to her?
0 x

JohnToo

Post by JohnToo » 5 years ago

There is indeed clearly a majority in Parliament and without against no deal. And May is still cynically using the threat of no deal as a political tool.

But she has a point when she says that she can’t actually guarantee no deal, starting from here. As things stand, we leave in March, and if we don’t have a deal, we leave with no deal.

I wonder if Corbyn would do better to demand an extension of Article 50 as his precondition for talks.
0 x