Post by Joan » 5 years ago

Stay warm everyone
0 x

Dunckel

Re: Meanwhile...

Post by Dunckel » 5 years ago

Regulator wrote:
5 years ago
We’re stuck on the westbound side of the M3. Two and a half hours to do just under a mile. We’ve been stationary for the last 30 minutes.
You know when the TV and radio have spent the day saying don't travel in the South East?.... That.

Time to break out the Kendal Mint Cake
2 x

LowlifeDes

Post by LowlifeDes » 5 years ago

Regulator wrote:
5 years ago
We’re stuck on the westbound side of the M3. Two and a half hours to do just under a mile. We’ve been stationary for the last 30 minutes.
Iris wrote:
5 years ago
We are not in Wales because the risk of a problem on the M4 was too high for comfort.
Head and heart, separated at birth.
4 x

JohnToo

Post by JohnToo » 5 years ago

Spent today meandering through Tel Aviv to Jaffa using the local Boris Bike scheme (called Tel-o-fun). Seven different hops each timed to be less than 30 mins, the cutoff for free trips (though we overran one through getting stuck on the wrong side of a freeway). Incredibly liberating as a mode of transport, but, boy, surprisingly knackering. Those bikes are slow and heavy.
Attachments
C8264EF0-682C-41C6-82E9-BC8D36F4BE10.jpeg
4 x

LowlifeDes

JohnToo wrote:
5 years ago
Spent today meandering through Tel Aviv to Jaffa using the local Boris Bike scheme (called Tel-o-fun). Seven different hops each timed to be less than 30 mins, the cutoff for free trips (though we overran one through getting stuck on the wrong side of a freeway). Incredibly liberating as a mode of transport, but, boy, surprisingly knackering. Those bikes are slow and heavy.
Goodness, your own bike isn't exactly light.
2 x

JohnToo

Post by JohnToo » 5 years ago

LowlifeDes wrote:
5 years ago
Goodness, your own bike isn't exactly light.
Yeah. Those bikes are indeed heavy but “heavy” in the literal sense isn’t the problem. The problem is, I think, inefficiency. I would guess the tyres eat energy and the gears are inefficient. Plus, analysing today over a glass of wine this evening, we decided that riding position is crucial. Boris bikes at least have graduated seat posts which these bikes don’t, but the faff factor inhibits getting the height exactly right, and you can’t adjust saddle angle or handlebars. It’s made us resolve, for proper tours, to stick to locations where we can take our own bikes.

But the liberation of cycling a bit, docking the bike, then forgetting all about it, is worth some discomfort.
1 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Regulator wrote:
5 years ago
Did you move, or are you trapped in a existential nightmare, forever trapped 5 miles outside Basingstoke?
0 x

Rutabaga

Post by Rutabaga » 5 years ago

Bit late notice, but at 9 tonight on BBC2 they are showing 'They Shall Not Grow Old', Peter Jackson's WWI documentary consisting of colourised original footage. I must admit that when I first heard about it I thought it sounded like an awful and pointless idea, but having seen it I changed my view completely. It not only brings more life somehow to the familiar black and white images we've got immune to, it also brings some understanding of how and why so many young men were so happy to involve themselves in such a terrible disaster. And while parts of it are grim, even gruesome, other parts are funny - just like the real experience would have been.
1 x

LowlifeDes

Joan wrote:
5 years ago
Did you move, or are you trapped in a existential nightmare, forever trapped 5 miles outside Basingstoke?
Could be worse, could be inside.
2 x

Rutabaga

The guest this week on Desert Island Discs (I know, how sad am I?) was Bob Mortimer. I always thought he was a gem, and my opinion hasn't changed. Sometimes the programme is really fascinating, and this was one of those times for me.
2 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Stopped in Richmond Park after sunset and moved my light so it actually illuminated the road surface, rather than the foreheads of approaching drivers/cyclists. Watched the International Space Station go by, before heading towards Kingston.

Strangely pleasant way to start a cold winter evening.
2 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Regulator » 5 years ago

Joan wrote:
5 years ago
Five and a half hours to do three and a half miles. We ended up abandoning the trip to Salisbury and heading home. We got back at 2.30 am, having set off 10 hours before.
3 x

Iris

Post by Iris » 5 years ago

I trust that, having been put off once by the snow in Salisbury, you went back the next day to visit its 130 metre spire.
4 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Regulator » 5 years ago

Iris wrote:
5 years ago
I trust that, having been put off once by the snow in Salisbury, you went back the next day to visit its 130 metre spire.
I did have a bottle of perfume in my bag...
0 x

Rutabaga

I know a joke about Fred and Rose West, is this the place for it?
0 x