What would you stockpile?

For foodies, food snobs, gourmets, gourmands and garbage guts
Rutabaga

What would you stockpile?

Post by Rutabaga » 5 years ago

So if (hypothetically speaking of course, ahem) food items in general were suddenly to become either scarce or extremely expensive, which ones would you wish you had stocked-up on in advance?

A while ago Tesco were selling Marmite at an amazingly good discount, so I have quite a good supply put by :) .
0 x

Greg

Re: What would you stockpile?

Post by Greg » 5 years ago

Ras el hanout...... :P
1 x

Sonic Budgie

Post by Sonic Budgie » 5 years ago

Rose petals
2 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Joan » 5 years ago

81e5YM3NS+L._SX385_.jpg
coconut-milk-powder.png
masman_curry_400g_large_94c844f8-5efc-44ed-a8c7-b446b1c40235_720x.jpg
1 x

Rutabaga

Coconut milk powder - good call. Thinking about it, I use an awful lot of vegetable stock cubes; I'd really miss those, especially if there wasn't an easy way to get the ingredients to make my own.
1 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Those 3 ingredients mix to make quite a passable satay sauce. Anything is palatable if covered in enough satay sauce.

Except probably fennel.
0 x

Rocky

Post by Rocky » 5 years ago

Beer, cheese and pickle
2 x

Iris

Post by Iris » 5 years ago

Being a bloated plutocrat who has got rich at the expense of others I don't need to worry about food getting expensive. And Marmite is the sperm of the devil.

But I think that as long as it was possible to get a reasonably balanced selection of carbohydrate, protein and fat of reasonable quality, some fruit and vegetables and some flavouring ingredients of some kind it would be possible to have a reasonably satisfying diet.

I've just looked back for reference at the start of WW2. Food rationing wasn't introduced until January 1940, four months after the start of the war. Even then it was only butter, bacon and sugar to start with. Given a large, extremely articulate and extremely influential minority in favour of compromise I can't see a situation in which a government would ration rather than do what it took to oil the wheels of trade.
1 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Regulator » 5 years ago

Coffee... I can do without just about everything else - but not coffee. If need be I can grow veg and go hunting for game.

And gin. Coffee and gin...

*Wanders off to google plans/prices for a still*
0 x

Greg

Post by Greg » 5 years ago

Amusing anecdotes
0 x

mangaman

Post by mangaman » 5 years ago

Rutabaga wrote:
5 years ago
Coconut milk powder - good call.
Off topic - but I have some of this in my cupboard left over from making some coconut ice cream.

I've not used it. Do you just mix it into a sauce to make a curry instead of coconut cream?

Thanks

BTW I'd also stockpile coffee. And chocolate
2 x

Rocky

Post by Rocky » 5 years ago

It looks like I'll be alright with my supply of cheese, beer and pickles.....I've got competition from the @The Real Ravenhurst but I think there should be enough post 29 March for us both.
2 x

Rutabaga

mangaman wrote:
5 years ago
Off topic - but I have some of this in my cupboard left over from making some coconut ice cream.

I've not used it. Do you just mix it into a sauce to make a curry instead of coconut cream?

Thanks

BTW I'd also stockpile coffee. And chocolate
I would, yes. I use tinned coconut milk in curries, which is the same stuff. Coconut cream is a bit too rich and fatty for my taste.
1 x

Rutabaga

Iris wrote:
5 years ago
Being a bloated plutocrat who has got rich at the expense of others I don't need to worry about food getting expensive. And Marmite is the sperm of the devil.

But I think that as long as it was possible to get a reasonably balanced selection of carbohydrate, protein and fat of reasonable quality, some fruit and vegetables and some flavouring ingredients of some kind it would be possible to have a reasonably satisfying diet.

I've just looked back for reference at the start of WW2. Food rationing wasn't introduced until January 1940, four months after the start of the war. Even then it was only butter, bacon and sugar to start with. Given a large, extremely articulate and extremely influential minority in favour of compromise I can't see a situation in which a government would ration rather than do what it took to oil the wheels of trade.
Interesting. I had thought that the thread would be recognised as a thinly disguised version of "what foods would you find it difficult to live without", but it is true that whatever foods might one day be in short supply it is still perfectly possible, and perhaps easier, to eat a healthy diet.
1 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Rutabaga wrote:
5 years ago
I had thought that the thread would be recognised as a thinly disguised version of "what foods would you find it difficult to live without",
I got that. Hence my choices of 3 products that don't come from the EU.
mangaman wrote:
5 years ago
The packets generally have instructions for mixing it with water to make coconut milk, but I just add it directly to a curry and then some water if necessary.
2 x