Christopher Chope

Not cycling, but still important.

Moderator: Joan

Rocky

Christopher Chope

Post by Rocky » 5 years ago

I am speechless. There are not many people I despise. I am so fucking angry........pathetic man
0 x

Dunckel

Re: Christopher Chope

Post by Dunckel » 5 years ago

Another selfish, hateful act from that moron. The only good that can come from it is the he has given the Government no choice but to bring forward their own bill, which will gain more coverage and be held to closer scrutiny than a Private Members Bill.
1 x

LowlifeDes

Post by LowlifeDes » 5 years ago

Why does he do it though? His explanation that he opposes all private member's bills is clearly nonsense, so what is it for? If Zac Goldsmith is criticising him on Twitter, he must know that the breadth of loathing is significant.
0 x

Dunckel

Post by Dunckel » 5 years ago

LowlifeDes wrote:
5 years ago
Why does he do it though? His explanation that he opposes all private member's bills is clearly nonsense, so what is it for? If Zac Goldsmith is criticising him on Twitter, he must know that the breadth of loathing is significant.
A man with an unenviable record of doing the wrong thing for the wrong reason.
1 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Regulator » 5 years ago

LowlifeDes wrote:
5 years ago
It’s quite simple really. He’s a backward arsehole.
0 x

Rutabaga

Post by Rutabaga » 5 years ago

Isn't his objection that these matters should have proper time given to full discussion of them? Which is odd, because I also believe he has introduced a few PMBs himself in the past (I could be wrong on that, but I can't be bothered to check I'm afraid). As has been said, the result usually seems to be increased support for the bill anyway.
0 x

Rocky

Post by Rocky » 5 years ago

Rutabaga wrote:
5 years ago
Isn't his objection that these matters should have proper time given to full discussion of them? Which is odd, because I also believe he has introduced a few PMBs himself in the past (I could be wrong on that, but I can't be bothered to check I'm afraid). As has been said, the result usually seems to be increased support for the bill anyway.
......and he never objects to his mates’ PMBs either. Horrible horrible man.
2 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Joan » 5 years ago

LowlifeDes wrote:
5 years ago
It was Goldsmith's Bill, so his anger is understandable.

I had a look at the bill, and it is trivial and hard to argue with. It adds a single cause to the Children's Act, allowing a judge to order a child be moved if they are at risk of FGM.

I don't think it's just Chope, it's an indictment of our whole system. It's no surprise there exists (Ǝ) a man who is a complete arse. That he has a seat in Commons is the problem. That we all vote on party lines, that he has preselection, that the PMB system can be corrupted like this (it makes sense in principle, that a bill can pass to the next stage if no one has a fundamental objection to it. That principle relies on everyone in Commons acting in good faith). That the Government is so preoccupied with Brexit (while achieving nothing) that this bill is a PMB and not Government policy. Etc etc.

Looks like there is a movement to address one of those problems

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... eselection
3 x