Moderator: Joan

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Bollocks to Brexit

Post by Regulator » 5 years ago

Iris wrote:
5 years ago
"The man has no manners". If that's really the best argument you can deploy, isn't it time to give up?

That's a bit rich coming from one of the rudest and most ignorant women in British politics*....

*OK, not quite as bad as Priti Patel - but then that would be difficult.
1 x

Dunckel

Post by Dunckel » 5 years ago

Iris wrote:
5 years ago
"The man has no manners". If that's really the best argument you can deploy, isn't it time to give up?

It made me laugh out loud, guaranteed to get blood boiling in just the right places.
1 x

Sonic Budgie

Post by Sonic Budgie » 5 years ago

[shudder] Leadsom, and those cold dead eyes.
0 x

Rocky

Post by Rocky » 5 years ago

Funny that the very people to whom Tusk is referring are the ones who seem the most upset. I wonder why......could Tusk have hit a raw nerve?
1 x

Iris

Post by Iris » 5 years ago

(In response to a suggestion that someone observing that the likeliest outcome of a general election being called was a no-deal Brexit, and using the term "suspended" rather than "prorogued and dissolved". Copied across here just in case anyone else wants to comment.)

That's a distinction without a difference, of interest only to parliamentary pedants. In substance he's pretty close - there are now 52 days to Brexit, which means that if parliament was dissolved today the earliest the general election could be would be 27 days before Brexit (because the minimum time possible for an election campaign is 25 days).

There are then three outcomes of that campaign that could stop a no-deal Brexit, and which would have to pass parliament within those 27 days. The first is the election of a government that was united behind the May/EU deal and passed it - which means a united majority Tory government. The second is the election of a government committed to rescinding article 50 - which means an SNP-LibDem-Plaid-Green coalition, perhaps with a handful of Tory and Labour rebels. The third is the election of a government committed to asking for a suspension of article 50 - and neither Corbyn nor May has shown willing to do that - plus the acceptance of the other 27 EU members that it's a sensible thing to do.

None of those three scenarios is exactly likely. The most likely outcome of a new General Election absent any major change in policy from either main party is a small increase in SNP and LibDem MPs, a small decrease in MPs from both main parties, a small move from DUP to other unionist parties and a continuation of massive uncertainty.
1 x

Sonic Budgie

Rocky wrote:
5 years ago
Funny that the very people to whom Tusk is referring are the ones who seem the most upset. I wonder why......could Tusk have hit a raw nerve?
Who are of course spinning it to mean anyone that voted out, neatly demonstrated and deftly shot down following PMQs today.
1 x

Dunckel

Rocky wrote:
5 years ago
Right from the result of the vote the loudest voices have had the least to contribute, someone should have flushed them out long ago, I bet Tusk has been eager to make that statement for months.
2 x

Rocky

I still think 'running down the clock to no deal' is the most likely scenario. However, that will lead to all sorts of shambles as has already been discussed. My main hope, if this happens, is that the UKIP farmer, who owns the land near junction 7 of the M40 and has displayed the 'No Deal, No Problem' advertising board, goes bust and loses all his land. I'm not normally vindictive but I have a huge dislike for him ever since he displayed banners in support of Tommy Robinson.
2 x

Iris

He* might well be a tenant farmer without any land to lose - there are a fair few giant landlords around there.

*He might also be a she, of course. Utter fuckwittery isn't uniquely a male trait.
0 x

Rocky

Iris wrote:
5 years ago
He* might well be a tenant farmer without any land to lose - there are a fair few giant landlords around there.

*He might also be a she, of course. Utter fuckwittery isn't uniquely a male trait.
Absolutely.......and utter fuckwittery is a very good way to describe it.
0 x

Iris

Oh look. If Labour wants a sniff of being able to implement its redistributive policies it should be opposing Brexit. Who knew?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ked-report
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Joan » 5 years ago

How are these people so incompetent?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -ship-firm

So Seabourne was a beard for a deal with an Irish company, so it wouldn't look like all the deals were with EU states.

But even the day before the deal ended, they persuaded Ramsgate to keep the ferry port open, “That’s why we haven’t got any road sweepers, that’s why we haven’t got any public lavatories.”

Ugh.
1 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Joan » 5 years ago

Joan wrote:
5 years ago

So Seabourne was a beard for a deal with an Irish company

I want to illustrate how convincing that beard was ......

0 x

Sonic Budgie

Joan wrote:
5 years ago
I want to illustrate how convincing that beard was ......

This post reminded me of that nice chap that used to say you could cure gay but has recently come out as having gay. I was pretty sure he was Mormon but wasn't sure so thought I'd do a quick google. Anyway the first result was this handy website;

http://alldeadmormonsarenowgay.com/
Last edited by Sonic Budgie on Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

Dunckel

Sonic Budgie wrote:
5 years ago
This post reminded me of that nice chap that used to say you could cure gay but has recently come out as having gay. I was pretty sure he was Mormom but wasn't sure so thought I'd do a quick google. Anyway the first result was this handy website;

http://alldeadmormonsarenowgay.com/
If you haven't already, I tboroughly recommend you see 'The Book of Mormon' I believe it is coming out of the West End soon and going touring.
0 x