What would you stockpile?

For foodies, food snobs, gourmets, gourmands and garbage guts
Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Re: What would you stockpile?

Post by Joan » 5 years ago

What would you stockpile if you were expecting genuine food shortages?

I'm thinking tinned pulses, fish. Flour, pasta, rice. Plenty of spices and dried herbs. Preserved meat, tofu. Oils. Oatmeal. Salt. Sugar. Dried fruit.

If refrigeration is an option, I'd fill my freezer with meat and frozen veg.

Oh, eggs would be a problem.

My extended dry January is showing that (phew!), I don't need to include alcohol.
1 x

Rutabaga

Post by Rutabaga » 5 years ago

Dry pulses are cheaper than tinned, although a bit more faff.
0 x

Rutabaga

I thought about alcohol, but I have cut back so far on my consumption of it over the past year or so, without any sense of deprivation, that it wouldn't be on my desperately-missed list.
0 x

mangaman

Post by mangaman » 5 years ago

Now I know what to do with powdered coconut I'd get some more of that and lots of tins of tomatoes and loads of spices.

Not strictly stockpiling but allied to it I'd say get a pressure cooker. I love mine for making stock and cooking pulses.
1 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Joan » 5 years ago

Rutabaga wrote:
5 years ago
Dry pulses are cheaper than tinned, although a bit more faff.
Agree with the above, but they not only require faff, but inputs - water and heat, and outputs - steam. They only make sense if you cook them in quantity, so you also need storage of the cooked beans. They are also more vulnerable to pests in storage.

So dried pulses are generally better than tins, but if I was stocking up in a time of plenty for a time of hardship, I'd probably go with tins.
0 x

Iris

Post by Iris » 5 years ago

Forgive me for thinking it would be more interesting to take the thread literally.

As it happens, I should have stockpiled Holland and Barrett's Rich Muesli, which I've been eating for the last nearly thirty years, since it was branded Neal's Yard. They've just frigged the recipe so that the dried apricots are chopped up rather than whole. When whole the nasty things are easy to extract. That's now impossible. It also seems to have toasted flakes in it as well as the soft ones. If I wanted toasted grain in the morning I'd buy corn flakes.
0 x

Iris

Joan wrote:
5 years ago
What would you stockpile if you were expecting genuine food shortages?
I'd get the fuck out of the country.

If that wasn't possible? Flour, rice, other dried grains, tins of fish, frozen veg, frozen meat, dried pulses, herbs, spices, tins of tomatoes.
2 x

JohnToo

Post by JohnToo » 5 years ago

Iris wrote:
5 years ago
Forgive me for thinking it would be more interesting to take the thread literally.

As it happens, I should have stockpiled Holland and Barrett's Rich Muesli, which I've been eating for the last nearly thirty years, since it was branded Neal's Yard. They've just frigged the recipe so that the dried apricots are chopped up rather than whole. When whole the nasty things are easy to extract. That's now impossible. It also seems to have toasted flakes in it as well as the soft ones. If I wanted toasted grain in the morning I'd buy corn flakes.
Yet again, Iris, I have to congratulate you on producing a post that is so perfectly crafted that I genuinely can’t tell whether it is self-piss-take or serious 😋
1 x

Rutabaga

And forgive me for starting a boring and less-than-serious thread in "Natter: Ephemera and Whimsy".
1 x

LowlifeDes

Post by LowlifeDes » 5 years ago

I haven't got round to stockpiling anything yet but I have decided what to stockpile first. I am going to hoard little sachets of HP sauce, which I shall steal from Wetherspoons.
6 x

Rocky

Post by Rocky » 5 years ago

LowlifeDes wrote:
5 years ago
I haven't got round to stockpiling anything yet but I have decided what to stockpile first. I am going to hoard little sachets of HP sauce, which I shall steal from Wetherspoons.
That'll learn Tim Martin.
1 x

LowlifeDes

Rocky wrote:
5 years ago
That'll learn Tim Martin.
Sticking it to the man.
1 x

Iris

LowlifeDes wrote:
5 years ago
Sticking it to the man.
Does the hypocritical little shit still stock HP sauce, even after his ridiculous rants about removing all non-UK EU produce? It's about as British as stroepwafels - produced by a US company in the Netherlands.
1 x

LowlifeDes

Iris wrote:
5 years ago
Does the hypocritical little shit still stock HP sauce, even after his ridiculous rants about removing all non-UK EU produce? It's about as British as stroepwafels - produced by a US company in the Netherlands.
I will endeavour to check.
1 x

Hopless500

Post by Hopless500 » 5 years ago

I've just bought a pile of Scampi Fries and I have lots of gin. Food and drink sorted.
Tons of craft supplies and raw fleece. Also sorted. :)
4 x