Meanwhile...

Ephemera and whimsy
Rocky

Re: Meanwhile...

Post by Rocky » 5 years ago

I told the Prof she should embrace her mistakes.

And then she gave me a huge hug
4 x

JohnToo

Post by JohnToo » 5 years ago

Longstanding unresolved mystery.

Why do garages make you ask for a separate VAT receipt rather than just routinely printing the sodding VAT number on the normal receipt like every other shop?
1 x

Dunckel

Post by Dunckel » 5 years ago

Trump is panic tweeting like never before tonight. I suspect he has just found something out.
1 x

Dunckel

JohnToo wrote:
5 years ago
Longstanding unresolved mystery.

Why do garages make you ask for a separate VAT receipt rather than just routinely printing the sodding VAT number on the normal receipt like every other shop?
It's a deep state thing.
3 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Joan » 5 years ago

I've been listening to my latest podcasts today.

If I hear "It's International Women's Day, so today we will be focusing on… “ one more time, I'm going to smash my phone with a hammer.
0 x

JohnToo

Post by JohnToo » 5 years ago

Joan wrote:
5 years ago
I've been listening to my latest podcasts today.

If I hear "It's International Women's Day, so today we will be focusing on… “ one more time, I'm going to smash my phone with a hammer.
"When I get called a poetess, it makes me feel like becoming a terroristess" (Adrienne Rich, allegedly)
2 x

Dunckel

May I recommend the programme "Big Trouble in Model Britain" BBC4 this evening. A gentle and self aware examination of Airfix and its rebirth.
2 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Regulator » 5 years ago

I've just written a letter to a commissioner which includes one of my favourite words - 'resile'. I did have to explain to one of my colleagues what it meant though... ;D
2 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

I wrote this, jetlagged and home sick, a few days after I moved to the UK. Today is again labour day in Melbourne, or Moomba as we thought the day was called.
It's the beginning of time, sometime in the mid to late 60s, early Autumn in Melbourne Australia. It is Moomba, a parade of floats and marching bands and drum majorettes and clowns. A Melbourne tradition. It is a hot day and, like previous Moombas, I have thrown up. A family tradition.
But I am feeling better now. My father takes me back out to see the parade, which remarkably is still going. My brothers are with my mother somewhere. My long hair is probably tied into two pigtails. I'd be wearing a pretty dress, I guess, with perhaps a cardigan, ankle socks and black patent shoes. I am definitely wearing a hat, with a ribbon hanging down the back and a brim failing in its duty to keep the sun off my head. An image of chubby legged innocence.

My father holds me at his shoulder, as we wait in the shade for the rest of the family. We are back from the road, but my vantage point gives me a good view of the parade. I watch the floats go by.

Then I see them. My favourites. I wave, furiously. Maybe I take my hat off and wave with that. One of them sees me, and nudges the other. They are both smiling and waving. At me. "We'll have to tell the boys about this," says my father.

A quintessence of childhood, preserved in amber. Last night I watched that golden ball of memories - of me - slip from my hands and tumble slowly towards the ground. It hasn't quite struck yet, but when it does, it will disintegrate. For my favourites were Zig and Zag the icecream clowns, and last night l was told that they won't be at Moomba this year, because Zig has a conviction for sexually molesting a child, his granddaughter. Her pain I cannot imagine, but even my sense of loss is palpable.
3 x

Rocky

Joan wrote:
5 years ago
I wrote this, jetlagged and home sick, a few days after I moved to the UK. Today is again labour day in Melbourne, or Moomba as we thought the day was called.
12 months ago the Prof and I were in Melbourne for 5 days and watched the labour day parade. We were horribly jet lagged (like you) but enjoyed the floats as we stood by Hamer Hall (I think) on the Yarra River bank.

I hope this photo (taken a couple of days later) doesn't make you feel homesick
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_5d16.jpg
2 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

I'm off to the People's Republic of Brighton today for a meeting.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look as though the weather will be on my side.
1 x

Rocky

We are in the Yorkshire Dales and it’s chucking it down here. What’s worse is that Gravel is house sitting back home.
1 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Rocky wrote:
5 years ago
We are in the Yorkshire Dales and it’s chucking it down here. What’s worse is that Gravel is house sitting having a house party back home.
FTFY...

Hope you and the Prof are enjoying it despite the weather. Did you remember to pack her zimmer frame?
0 x

Rocky

Regulator wrote:
5 years ago
FTFY...

Hope you and the Prof are enjoying it despite the weather. Did you remember to pack her zimmer frame?
Ha ha - yes we are enjoying it. She’s mumbling something about hitting you over the head with her zimmer frame. She also sends a big thanks (in anticipation of receiving your present). For some reason she’s blowing you a kiss.
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

I just heard a strangers phone ring ... the theme from the X-Files

Now my ringtone doesn't seem so hokey.
1 x