Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Meanwhile...

Post by Joan » 5 years ago

Speaking of nerds...
Regulator wrote:
5 years ago
Just found a nutrition label in Waitrose where the sugars were more than the total carbohydrates. I pointed this out to customer services, who don’t quite understand the problem until I brought them a selection of other items to illustrate what it should look like.

They checked on the computer - which was also wrong. They phoned head office, but there was no-one from the nutritional team available. They’ve promised to get back to me.

I didn’t have the heart to tell them they should actually take the item off the shelf...
Devil's advocate: may total sugars includes sugar alcohols. Did it have any sorbitol?
0 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Regulator » 5 years ago

Joan wrote:
5 years ago
Speaking of nerds...

Devil's advocate: may total sugars includes sugar alcohols. Did it have any sorbitol?
Nope... it was fish with chilli and tomato.
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Salmon? Lol, I bravely ate that as sashimi the other day. It was very tasty.

Didn't die or have a hyperglycaemic attack.

Edit: Ah yes https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/ ... 404-677405

Obviously almost all the carbs (except the microscopic amount of cornflour) would be sugars. I wonder if the 15% difference might be due to different ways sugar and carbs are measured. but 😂 you really went to customer service about this, and expected them to unilaterally pull the product over a rounding error?
0 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Joan wrote:
5 years ago
Salmon? Lol, I bravely ate that as sashimi the other day. It was very tasty.

Didn't die or have a hyperglycaemic attack.

Edit: Ah yes https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/ ... 404-677405

Obviously almost all the carbs (except the microscopic amount of cornflour) would be sugars. I wonder if the 15% difference might be due to different ways sugar and carbs are measured. but 😂 you really went to customer service about this, and expected them to unilaterally pull the product over a rounding error?
You may scoff but accuracy in food labelling is quite an important issue.

If I tried, for example, to enter those values on to an app like Lifesum, it wouldn’t allow it as it has basic checks in place. The fact is an organisation like Waitrose should have checks in place to catch these sorts of issues.
0 x

LowlifeDes

Post by LowlifeDes » 5 years ago

Regulator wrote:
5 years ago
You may scoff
And, in connection with Waitrose*, we do.

* Other sources of foodstuffs are available.
2 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Sure, it should be fixed. But not by the long suffering bods on the service counter.

Personally, I tend to stick to ingredients. I'm not interested in total sugars that are constituents of natural ingredients eg <Google google> tomatoes have 2.6g of sugar per 100g. I do not care about that. I care about the sugar (or honey or molasses etc) that are added. Note I didn't read the ingredients of the salmon, but something less than a teaspoon of sugar added is not ideal, but not a deal breaker.

Confession: even when trying to eat healthy, I get it wrong. I have eaten considerably more than 3 kg of raw tomatoes in the last 7 days. That is too many tomatoes. But .... 😋
1 x

Rutabaga

Post by Rutabaga » 5 years ago

Too many tomatoes? Why?
1 x

LowlifeDes

What is the lethal dose of Haribo Tangfastics?
1 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

There is a God...

...and She is just.
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Rutabaga wrote:
5 years ago
Too many tomatoes? Why?
Tomatoes are (nutrionally and actually) a fruit. There is such a thing as too much fruit. Fruit can lead to type II diabetes etc.

Also, balance is important. You need nutrients from a variety of foods. Tomatoes, on their own, do not count as a variety of foods. Sadly. I have eaten very few tubers or green, leafy veg this week for example.

True story: when I was a kid I went through a food faddy stage. The only things I would eat were eggs and tomatoes. My mother talked to a doctor (her brother) who said that was a pretty good choice if it was only 2. He suggested stirring the egg into breadcrumbs (grains were the base of the food pyramid, thus "essential") and wait it out. Good advice, soon I became omnivorous; I eat anything except banana, whale, and tripe in white sauce.

Or if you were asking why I eat so many, then the answer is: to me, tomatoes are the Tangtastics of the vegetable world.
1 x

Iris

Post by Iris » 5 years ago

Regulator wrote:
5 years ago
You may scoff but accuracy in food labelling is quite an important issue.

If I tried, for example, to enter those values on to an app like Lifesum, it wouldn’t allow it as it has basic checks in place. The fact is an organisation like Waitrose should have checks in place to catch these sorts of issues.
It should, and it probably does. But somewhere in the chain there will be a human, who will fuck things up once in a while. The scale of the error - 0.3g of sugars per serving, or a tenth of a teaspoon - is immaterial and any well designed bit of software should flag it as needing attention but not kick it out completely.

I'll buy a pint for the first person to spot and post a photo of Regulator-inspired notice in their local Waitrose.
1 x

LowlifeDes

Iris wrote:
5 years ago

I'll buy a pint for the first person to spot and post a photo of Regulator-inspired notice in their local Waitrose.
Can I just put a photo of Regulator up in Waitrose?
4 x

Rutabaga

Post by Rutabaga » 5 years ago

Joan wrote:
5 years ago
Tomatoes are (nutrionally and actually) a fruit. There is such a thing as too much fruit. Fruit can lead to type II diabetes etc.

Also, balance is important. You need nutrients from a variety of foods. Tomatoes, on their own, do not count as a variety of foods. Sadly. I have eaten very few tubers or green, leafy veg this week for example.

True story: when I was a kid I went through a food faddy stage. The only things I would eat were eggs and tomatoes. My mother talked to a doctor (her brother) who said that was a pretty good choice if it was only 2. He suggested stirring the egg into breadcrumbs (grains were the base of the food pyramid, thus "essential") and wait it out. Good advice, soon I became omnivorous; I eat anything except banana, whale, and tripe in white sauce.

Or if you were asking why I eat so many, then the answer is: to me, tomatoes are the Tangtastics of the vegetable world.
Well, yes, I agree with all that. I just didn't think 3 kg of tomatoes in 7 days was a lot. I suppose it is, if you didn't eat anything else, but then it would be more like not enough IYKWIM.
1 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

2 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator