TV/Streaming shows

Ephemera and whimsy
Whiskeyjack

Re: TV/Streaming shows

Post by Whiskeyjack » 5 years ago

Regulator wrote:
5 years ago
I really like The Expanse... Series 3 was for more brooding than the previous two.
It was but I thought it was the best one so far. Best moment “I am that guy”

Maybe not that big an outlier then, ok, so star trek discovery?
;)
Sonic Budgie wrote:
5 years ago
Bloody annoying Netflix haven't got it though!
To be fair, as soon as amazon saved it, that was bound to happen.
1 x

Sonic Budgie

Post by Sonic Budgie » 5 years ago

Loving Discovery, very good indeed!
1 x

Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Regulator » 5 years ago

Whiskeyjack wrote:
5 years ago
It was but I thought it was the best one so far. Best moment “I am that guy”

Maybe not that big an outlier then, ok, so star trek discovery?
;)

To be fair, as soon as amazon saved it, that was bound to happen.
Oh yes.... I have a bit of a thing for Paul Stamets (Anthony Rapp).
1 x

JohnToo

Post by JohnToo » 5 years ago

One more comment on Fleabag, specially for @Iris, who I seem to recall has previously expressed his opinion on popular twentieth century church music :): S2E2 gloriously features the music of John Rutter...
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Joan » 5 years ago

This is a good thread. I somehow hadn't heard of the Expanse. It's now on the list.

Currently bracing my self for part 2 of Leaving Neverland...
0 x

Whiskeyjack

Post by Whiskeyjack » 5 years ago

Regulator wrote:
5 years ago
Oh yes.... I have a bit of a thing for Paul Stamets (Anthony Rapp).
hah, he was a surprise for me, when we first met teh character I took a disliking to him but he won me over.
Joan wrote:
5 years ago
This is a good thread. I somehow hadn't heard of the Expanse. It's now on the list.

I hope you like it but, to be honest, its a show I hesitate to recommend to people. I dont think its easy to get into.

I read the books first and watching it with the book readers head on, I fear the first season can be confusing. It would be interesting to see if that view was shared by anyone who didnt read the books. Not all of the crew of the Roci(nante) were how I imagined them so I had to get over that, I think they are all pretyt great now though.

Second series was better and he third one has been great so far.
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Joan wrote:
5 years ago

And done. That was intense. If you aren't aware, it's an Errol Morris style (ie camera pointed at subjects, no apparent interviewer or heard questions) about two men who were (I believe this true) sexually abused by Michael Jackson when they were children for years.

It's really well done. Totally persuasive. Agonizing.

I don't know if you should watch it. But I just finished it on All4 app, and it expires in 2 or 3 day. Watching even some will tell a lot of the story, but you have to get to the end of the nearly 4 hours to see the mothers' reactions, and the siblings to the truth that surrounded them.

After watching it, I have no doubt of the truth of the allegations, but then when Jackson married Lisa Marie Presley, I remember joking to my friends based on Jackson love of pop culture ephemera and (I guess) his obvious paedophilia, that it was the ultimate collectable for Jackson: Elvis' grandchildren. If I grokked that in '94 with casual observation, then it was pretty well know.

I wouldn't advise bingeing it, except that it's expiring in a few days. There's nothing explicit, except a few very brief descriptions, but it does weigh upon the soul.
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

BBC's Bodyguard has made it to Netflix.

I know you have all seen it, but halfway through episode 2, and I am riveted.

Edit: Luckily no one was online to spoil the second half of episode 2. OMG! I was ready to update this post after ....
Spoiler
Show
...the sniper attack, but then it went to a whole new level. I have moved from riveted to nailed. The second half of episode two is the best erotica I've seen on British TV since Tennant's Casanova. Oh, and Gok Wan.
Damn!
1 x

JohnToo

Another offering for Fleabag fans:
https://www.churchtimes.co.uk/articles/ ... her-abuser

(Hadley Freeman said similar things in the Guardian a couple of days ago but in less academic language)
1 x

Rutabaga

Post by Rutabaga » 5 years ago

JohnToo wrote:
5 years ago
Another offering for Fleabag fans:
https://www.churchtimes.co.uk/articles/ ... her-abuser

(Hadley Freeman said similar things in the Guardian a couple of days ago but in less academic language)
I didn't, and don't, see it in such simplistic terms. Nothing Fleabag herself does is cosy, she makes us uncomfortable, that's the point. It may be that she abused him as much as he abused her; she wanted him, he wanted her, he felt he shouldn't, and he eventually gave in, in a very human way. The bit of subtext that complicates this, for some people, is the bit about the imaginary friend and its rules about sex. It's another detail that makes Waller-Bridge's work and her fascination with transgressive women all the more interesting.
3 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

I guess I binged Bodyguard. I can recommend it, but very disappointed by final episode. People behaved outside what we have seen of their characters and did things that made no sense. The twists felt like they came from writers' room (or was there only one writer? then the writer's shed), rather than following from what we have seen.

It borrowed from The Parallax View ...
Spoiler
Show
but without having the gonads of The Parallax View to go really dark
0 x

Rutabaga

I agree about Bodyguard, I lost patience with it quite quickly. I know he's flavour of the moment, with Line of Duty and all that, but I'm not keen on Jed Mercurio's writing. It all seems a bit overblown and pleased with itself.
2 x

JohnToo

Rutabaga wrote:
5 years ago
I agree about Bodyguard, I lost patience with it quite quickly. I know he's flavour of the moment, with Line of Duty and all that, but I'm not keen on Jed Mercurio's writing. It all seems a bit overblown and pleased with itself.
Because watching Notre Dame burning was too depressing, we caught up on last night's Line of Duty tonight. I agree that Mercurio does tense very well. I agree he does complicated and ambiguous very well. I agree he does set-piece action very well. But he doesn't do plausible very well. Is he one of the better writers in his genre around at the moment? Yes, definitely (or even definately). Does he deserve quite the amount of adulatory media coverage Bodyguard and LoD gets? No.
0 x

mangaman

Post by mangaman » 5 years ago

I see Game of Thrones is back. I watched 1 once and didn’t,t like it at all
Seemed to me a lot of silliness, misogyny and fighting.

I confess all fantasy stuff leaves me cold so I’m not the target audience but the actual audience seems to be just about everyone so I must be missing something.
Are others watching it?

Anyway my wife wanted to watch it followed by Thronecast so I had a lovely early night curled up with my Kindle
2 x

Rutabaga

Game of Thrones didn't appeal to me at all, so I've only seen little trailer-type bits - it looks dire. I was one of those people who loved Tolkien's books and reread them many times, but the 'hollywoodisation' of them turned me off and sadly I can't bear the thought of that fantasy stuff now.

Actually, that's not entirely true, as I really enjoy Terry Giliam's form of hyperbolic fantasy, and del Toro's Pan's Labyrinth too, but I think of them as a bit more sophisticated and with more depth to them in their links to and commentary on the real world. That could be my prejudice, of course.
2 x