TV/Streaming shows

Ephemera and whimsy
Whiskeyjack

Re: TV/Streaming shows

Post by Whiskeyjack » 5 years ago

Ok prepare for a long post, for me.

I’m watching it and have really enjoyed it. I’ve not posted here as I think I’m probably in the minority and places where I frequent, people talk about it in a derogatory way. cC for one has a thread of people back slapping each other for disliking it.

Not the typical fantasy as it’s fairly realistic where peoples decisions have consequences. People Make stupid choice, brave choices, honourable choices and die for it. Characters you thought were straight evil turn out to be human, who do things for personal reasons. Who regret, change and turn on people they were loyal too, even family.

It’s also one of those shows that anyone I’ve recommended it to has loved it. Seriously, even my mum who hates violence has been asking when its coming back. she must close her eyes a lot while watching.

It’s good water cooler talk, big, memorable events happen that people don’t see coming occur and everyone remembers it. The first unanticipated death, That wedding, the mountain and the viper are all big moments that are built up to.

The consequence have tapered off some as some of the characters have become too popular to kill. the quality of the material has dropped in the last two series when they ran out of source material. It’s not what it was.

I’m watching to the end though as it’s still enjoyable.
3 x

Whiskeyjack

Oh just to share a little bit but it also might answer the question of if you are missing something.

Something that happened in the first episode almost 9 years ago has a pay off next week. I’m looking forward to it ;D

It’s probably that kind of longtermism that’s part of it’s success. Viewers are invested in the story and characters, they want to know if they will live or die.
0 x

Sonic Budgie

Post by Sonic Budgie » 5 years ago

Whiskeyjack wrote:
5 years ago
Ok prepare for a long post, for me.

I’m watching it and have really enjoyed it. I’ve not posted here as I think I’m probably in the minority and places where I frequent, people talk about it in a derogatory way. cC for one has a thread of people back slapping each other for disliking it.

Not the typical fantasy as it’s fairly realistic where peoples decisions have consequences. People Make stupid choice, brave choices, honourable choices and die for it. Characters you thought were straight evil turn out to be human, who do things for personal reasons. Who regret, change and turn on people they were loyal too, even family.

It’s also one of those shows that anyone I’ve recommended it to has loved it. Seriously, even my mum who hates violence has been asking when its coming back. she must close her eyes a lot while watching.

It’s good water cooler talk, big, memorable events happen that people don’t see coming occur and everyone remembers it. The first unanticipated death, That wedding, the mountain and the viper are all big moments that are built up to.

The consequence have tapered off some as some of the characters have become too popular to kill. the quality of the material has dropped in the last two series when they ran out of source material. It’s not what it was.

I’m watching to the end though as it’s still enjoyable.
I like it too. Although I'm a series behind. Enjoyed the books as well. There does seem to be (and I hasten to add that I'm not accusing anyone here) a human condition that requires you to automatically dislike something because it's popular. There's probably a word for it.
1 x

Whiskeyjack

Sonic Budgie wrote:
5 years ago
I like it too. Although I'm a series behind. Enjoyed the books as well. There does seem to be (and I hasten to add that I'm not accusing anyone here) a human condition that requires you to automatically dislike something because it's popular. There's probably a word for it.
I agree and I wasn't accusing anyone of that here either which is why I actually answered.

Are you going to catch up? It's going to be hard to avoid spoilers going forward, you won't hear them from me though :D

I should probably make less assumptions about what people here like since Star Trek and the expanse are liked by you and reg.

I've chosen to be an episode behind on star trek this week, I'm going to watch the final two episodes back to back.
0 x

Sonic Budgie

Whiskeyjack wrote:
5 years ago
I agree and I wasn't accusing anyone of that here either which is why I actually answered.

Are you going to catch up? It's going to be hard to avoid spoilers going forward, you won't hear them from me though :D
I will yes, not sure Martin is ever going to get the books finished, so it may be the only way to get some kind of conclusion to it. Spoilers will probably be unavoidable though, c'est la vie. I'm used to that though, I'm always months behind on TV series. Although she's never watched GoT, most stuff my wife and I watch together and as she works evenings there's not usually many opportunities to catch up. We're probably about 6-12 months behind on a lot of things, we usually end up giving up in the end as another 15 things have come along in the meantime. We haven't even finished The Wire yet!!!!!
1 x

Rutabaga

Post by Rutabaga » 5 years ago

Sonic Budgie wrote:
5 years ago
We could give "exceptionalism" a try for fit?

I apologise, I should amend my post to read "It looks dire to me" as I am now just allergic to anything with dragons and the like in it. And, in my defence, I do get hooked on popular televisual entertainment offerings, just a bit later than other people. I binged delightfully on Mad Men and Peaky Blinders long after they'd got to their last series. I draw the line at Doctor Who though (as I don't watch children's television). ;D
0 x

Whiskeyjack

Rutabaga wrote:
5 years ago
We could give "exceptionalism" a try for fit?

I apologise, I should amend my post to read "It looks dire to me" as I am now just allergic to anything with dragons and the like in it. And, in my defence, I do get hooked on popular televisual entertainment offerings, just a bit later than other people. I binged delightfully on Mad Men and Peaky Blinders long after they'd got to their last series. I draw the line at Doctor Who though (as I don't watch children's television). ;D
No need to apologise, I hope that if you do give it a try at some point and like it, let me know. :D

it's at the end of season 1 it really shows its not just another fantasy show. Try to avoid any spoilers though, the shocks are part of the fun. I'm still traumatised by one characters death!
1 x

Whiskeyjack

Sonic Budgie wrote:
5 years ago
I will yes, not sure Martin is ever going to get the books finished, so it may be the only way to get some kind of conclusion to it. Spoilers will probably be unavoidable though, c'est la vie. I'm used to that though, I'm always months behind on TV series. Although she's never watched GoT, most stuff my wife and I watch together and as she works evenings there's not usually many opportunities to catch up. We're probably about 6-12 months behind on a lot of things, we usually end up giving up in the end as another 15 things have come along in the meantime. We haven't even finished The Wire yet!!!!!
I'm not sure he will either but I hope he will.

I have a feeling a lot of people won't die like the show has them die.
Spoiler
Show
ser barristan deserved better and I think more is in store for Rickon
1 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Joan » 5 years ago

I'm in the middle. I watched the first 3 seasons but then decided that was enough. It's good, of course, and the opening credits are riveting, but after three seasons, I felt I'd seen enough. To me what engages me with a story are the characters, and they kept killing the characters I liked. I was left with not much to engage me amongst the survivors. Of course I liked Peter Dinklage's character, and the youngest Stark and Littlefinger, but none of them enough to make me want to slog through another season. I think you were supposed to hitch your wagon to John Snow, but to me he was a blankly pretty sub-Heathcliffean character. As for the battle for the Iron throne, well it really didn't seem that important. I have no idea what difference it would make who "won". If I was truly interested about an epic battle between great houses for power, I'd read a history of the war of the roses.

Also, the ratio of non-consensual to consensual sex was too high for me, and way too much of the consensual sex was betwixt siblings. What is wrong with that guy??

On the plus side, I learnt a new word No, not in Dothraki. Sexposition (plot exposition discusses post coitally)

Disclaimer: I have met George a couple of times and he seems a thoroughly nice bloke.

Disclaimer II: I also gave up on Lost at the end of the 3rd or 4th season, but that was because I recognised that there was no possible end that would tie up all the loose ends, that they weren't working towards an answer they already had, but just riffing on stuff that would seem mysterious and if I kept watching I would feel angry and ripped off at the end. Yup. I was right.
Attachments
86c063a97ef92e1ea50af0ab636cd42d.png
1 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Joan » 5 years ago

Emilia Clarke who plays Kalesi has had two aneurysm during production of the show. She seems to have made a good recovery.
0 x

Whiskeyjack

Joan wrote:
5 years ago
I'm in the middle. I watched the first 3 seasons but then decided that was enough. It's good, of course, and the opening credits are riveting, but after three seasons, I felt I'd seen enough. To me what engages me with a story are the characters, and they kept killing the characters I liked. I was left with not much to engage me amongst the survivors. Of course I liked Peter Dinklage's character, and the youngest Stark and Littlefinger, but none of them enough to make me want to slog through another season. I think you were supposed to hitch your wagon to John Snow, but to me he was a blankly pretty sub-Heathcliffean character. As for the battle for the Iron throne, well it really didn't seem that important. I have no idea what difference it would make who "won". If I was truly interested about an epic battle between great houses for power, I'd read a history of the war of the roses.

Also, the ratio of non-consensual to consensual sex was too high for me, and way too much of the consensual sex was betwixt siblings. What is wrong with that guy??

On the plus side, I learnt a new word No, not in Dothraki. Sexposition (plot exposition discusses post coitally)

Disclaimer: I have met George a couple of times and he seems a thoroughly nice bloke.

Disclaimer II: I also gave up on Lost at the end of the 3rd or 4th season, but that was because I recognised that there was no possible end that would tie up all the loose ends, that they weren't working towards an answer they already had, but just riffing on stuff that would seem mysterious and if I kept watching I would feel angry and ripped off at the end. Yup. I was right.
well that didn't go away, does that the participants didn't know count? ;D

I agree about John Snow though I do like him, as he is a bit like Ned, always does the right thing. Im not sure it does matter who wins though, in fact its been said how pointless that is more than once.
1 x

Rutabaga

Post by Rutabaga » 5 years ago

Do we need a dedicated GoT thread?
0 x

Whiskeyjack

Rutabaga wrote:
5 years ago
Probably not, Im the only one up to date so far ;D
0 x

Sonic Budgie

Rutabaga wrote:
5 years ago
Yes please and a Dr Who one too :P
0 x

Whiskeyjack

Sonic Budgie wrote:
5 years ago
I haven't even started the wire yet, I may never get to it. There is a lot of good TV, more than I'm prepared to dedicate to it :D
0 x