Food waste and food distribution

For foodies, food snobs, gourmets, gourmands and garbage guts
Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Food waste and food distribution

Post by Regulator » 2 months ago

Eggs don’t last long in our house... but if they get beyond the ‘Use By’ date (once in a blue moon) they get the water test.
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Joan » 2 months ago

I wasn't going to post in this thread again because I keep breaking the unwritten law, but I will risk it.

I don't think I have ever checked the use by date on eggs (except when actually buying them in an effort to get the freshest), and I have never broken eggs into a cup. So far I have gotten away with this (never cracked a bad egg) so I won't change. I will use a cup if I am separating egg whites and the eggs aren't really fresh, because old yolks are much more likely to break, destroying any chance of a meringue. Old whites don't make such a good meringue either, but with an electric mixer you can - ahem - power through that.

The woman who didn't teach me to break them into a cup was taught by a woman who raised eight children during the depression, while the family farm driven out of business; and who knew enough about baking that she would open the oven door on the wood fired stove and say "that's a sponge oven" and bake a sponge. So if Nanna could tell a moderate oven just by feeling it on her face, I am going to stick with her egg breaking technique.
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Joan » 2 months ago

Braving posting to this thread again. Will try not to mention FOOD BANKS. Oh, oops!

Two relevant things (I believe, please hit "!" if I am breaking the unwritten rules),
  1. I have just eaten an egg with "Display until" of 2/March and "Best before" 9/March. It was a tasty treat. Note to coroner: I had just eaten 2 month old egg before I died
  2. Waitrose's wonky veg. I am not sure what is least wonky here. The perfectly standard peppers, or the fact that taking a bag of randomly selected vegetables as opposed to taking exactly what you want, saves you (I am not kidding) 8p/3£
Attachments
IMG_20190423_180256461.jpg
IMG_20190423_212740248.jpg
0 x

Rutabaga

Post by Rutabaga » 1 month ago

Jay Rayner has an interesting (well, I thought so) article in the Observer this week about social supermarkets, food banks, and community kitchens. As he points out it's a complicated story, and these things are really just 'a sticking plaster', but while we are trying to deal with the underlying causes of all sorts of poverty these approaches are necessary and also, as one volunteer says, 'not just about food'.
https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... jay-rayner
1 x