Food waste and food distribution

For foodies, food snobs, gourmets, gourmands and garbage guts
Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Food waste and food distribution

Post by Regulator » 1 week ago

Eggs don’t last long in our house... but if they get beyond the ‘Use By’ date (once in a blue moon) they get the water test.
0 x

Joan
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Food waste and food distribution

Post by Joan » 1 week ago

I wasn't going to post in this thread again because I keep breaking the unwritten law, but I will risk it.

I don't think I have ever checked the use by date on eggs (except when actually buying them in an effort to get the freshest), and I have never broken eggs into a cup. So far I have gotten away with this (never cracked a bad egg) so I won't change. I will use a cup if I am separating egg whites and the eggs aren't really fresh, because old yolks are much more likely to break, destroying any chance of a meringue. Old whites don't make such a good meringue either, but with an electric mixer you can - ahem - power through that.

The woman who didn't teach me to break them into a cup was taught by a woman who raised eight children during the depression, while the family farm driven out of business; and who knew enough about baking that she would open the oven door on the wood fired stove and say "that's a sponge oven" and bake a sponge. So if Nanna could tell a moderate oven just by feeling it on her face, I am going to stick with her egg breaking technique.
0 x