Covid-19 Pandemic Thread

Not cycling, but still important.
LowlifeDes
Hero Member
Hero Member
Posts: 1086
Joined: 1 year ago

Re: Covid-19 Pandemic Thread

Post by LowlifeDes » 1 week ago

Should this
IMG_20200326_190720.jpg
run out,I have the ingredients
Attachments
IMG_20200326_190743.jpg
0 x

LowlifeDes
Hero Member
Hero Member
Posts: 1086
Joined: 1 year ago

Re: Covid-19 Pandemic Thread

Post by LowlifeDes » 1 week ago

Bollocks that is the wrong way around
1 x

User avatar
JohnToo
Sr. Member
Sr. Member
Posts: 432
Joined: 2 years ago
Location: Leatherhead

Re: Covid-19 Pandemic Thread

Post by JohnToo » 1 week ago

What are you going to do at 8 pm today?

I was thinking of expressing my support for NHS staff by running a bath for my wife, which would at least have the merits of being sincere and spontaneous rather than coerced.
1 x

User avatar
Sonic Budgie
Hero Member
Hero Member
Posts: 681
Joined: 1 year ago

Re: Covid-19 Pandemic Thread

Post by Sonic Budgie » 1 week ago

LowlifeDes wrote:
1 week ago
Bollocks that is the wrong way around
Ignore the text and it just looks like you've upped your game on the packaging.
1 x

ransos
Sr. Member
Sr. Member
Posts: 301
Joined: 2 years ago

Re: Covid-19 Pandemic Thread

Post by ransos » 1 week ago

JohnToo wrote:
1 week ago
What are you going to do at 8 pm today?

I was thinking of expressing my support for NHS staff by running a bath for my wife, which would at least have the merits of being sincere and spontaneous rather than coerced.
It was rather lovely to see everyone out in the street.
1 x

LowlifeDes
Hero Member
Hero Member
Posts: 1086
Joined: 1 year ago

Re: Covid-19 Pandemic Thread

Post by LowlifeDes » 1 week ago

I went out the back but it was just like when I clap to shoo off the pigeons.
1 x

User avatar
JohnToo
Sr. Member
Sr. Member
Posts: 432
Joined: 2 years ago
Location: Leatherhead

Re: Covid-19 Pandemic Thread

Post by JohnToo » 1 week ago

ransos wrote:
1 week ago
It was rather lovely to see everyone out in the street.
Then I apologise if my cynicism in any way detracted from the experience.

Our 80 year old neighbours standing quietly in their front garden clapping was indeed moving and made me feel bad. Our neighbours further along the street vying with each other to see who could make most ostentatious noise (trumpet v vuvuzuela) reminded me, I'm afraid, of the compulsory public emotion following Princess Diana's death.

We can all agree that NHS staff deserve our gratitude and respect.
1 x

User avatar
Rutabaga
Hero Member
Hero Member
Posts: 1287
Joined: 1 year ago

Re: Covid-19 Pandemic Thread

Post by Rutabaga » 1 week ago

I was put in mind of the annual flurry of disapproval for anyone not wearing a poppy. I also wondered idly how many of the ostentatious clappers and saucepan bangers voted Conservative.
2 x

User avatar
Greg
Hero Member
Hero Member
Posts: 529
Joined: 1 year ago

Re: Covid-19 Pandemic Thread

Post by Greg » 1 week ago

I missed it by 1 minute.

Meanwhile, the police have set up a checkpoint on the main road to ensure that all journeys are 'essential'.

Your Gilead correspondent.
3 x

ransos
Sr. Member
Sr. Member
Posts: 301
Joined: 2 years ago

Re: Covid-19 Pandemic Thread

Post by ransos » 1 week ago

JohnToo wrote:
1 week ago
Then I apologise if my cynicism in any way detracted from the experience.

Our 80 year old neighbours standing quietly in their front garden clapping was indeed moving and made me feel bad. Our neighbours further along the street vying with each other to see who could make most ostentatious noise (trumpet v vuvuzuela) reminded me, I'm afraid, of the compulsory public emotion following Princess Diana's death.

We can all agree that NHS staff deserve our gratitude and respect.
No apology necessary.

I was looking at our neighbours, and thought of the single parent who is relieved to have her daughter back home from university and is desperately trying to keep her social housing work running. I thought of the woman who missed her father's funeral this week because she was unable to fly. I thought of the family whose house is a building site because their builders have understandably downed tools. I opened the door this morning to find flowers, cakes and bread left by neighbours who must be thinking of us juggling the demands of home schooling, work and self-isolation.

I think there's a great risk of a knee-jerk reaction and missing out on a moment to reflect and give thanks.
2 x

User avatar
Joan
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 2617
Joined: 2 years ago

Re: Covid-19 Pandemic Thread

Post by Joan » 1 week ago

I completely forgot about it to the point I wondered what the noise was. I am very sorry I didn't join in.

Normally I hate this regimented stuff, but with social distancing, how else can we thank them?

I said thanks to everyone at Tesco last night, but I am not approaching NHS start to tell them how grateful I am 🤪

But the princess Di stuff? That was cray-cray. Jill Dando was killed just after I moved to the UK, and I joked (sorry) that it was a lower key re-enactment of the Diana-mania put on for tourists, and wondered if they were going to kill a celebrity every year going forward.
1 x

User avatar
JohnToo
Sr. Member
Sr. Member
Posts: 432
Joined: 2 years ago
Location: Leatherhead

Re: Covid-19 Pandemic Thread

Post by JohnToo » 1 week ago

"Better by far
For Johnny-the-bright-star,
To keep your head,
And see his children fed."

A poem that usually brings tears to my eyes. Of course, we can and should do both: make sure NHS workers know how much we appreciate them, and show our support in practical ways such as social distancing. But the latter is also one way of doing the former.
2 x

User avatar
Joan
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 2617
Joined: 2 years ago

Re: Covid-19 Pandemic Thread

Post by Joan » 1 week ago

For those of us that can, the best way to show our appreciation is sign up as a volunteer. Those sheer numbers are heartening to me, and hopefully to the NHS staff as well.
1 x

User avatar
Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1643
Joined: 2 years ago
Location: Cambridge

Re: Covid-19 Pandemic Thread

Post by Regulator » 1 week ago

Joan wrote:
1 week ago
For those of us that can, the best way to show our appreciation is sign up as a volunteer. Those sheer numbers are heartening to me, and hopefully to the NHS staff as well.
To be perfectly honest, I think NHS staff would prefer to have the ability to get tested and access to proper PPE rather than be expected to babysit on the the whole well-meaning but inexperienced volunteers.
0 x

User avatar
Joan
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 2617
Joined: 2 years ago

Re: Covid-19 Pandemic Thread

Post by Joan » 1 week ago

Regulator wrote:
1 week ago
To be perfectly honest, I think NHS staff would prefer to have the ability to get tested and access to proper PPE rather than be expected to babysit on the the whole well-meaning but inexperienced volunteers.
Yes, of course, that's first, but I can't do provide that.

I think you misunderstand what the volunteers are doing. While I believe red Cross and St John's ambulance are helping in hospitals, cleaning and laundry and similar tasks, the untrained volunteers aren't going anywhere near the staff. The are checking in with sick folks over the phone, delivering food and medicine to those in quarantine, driving patients, and driving equipment and supplies to hospital.

So have no fear, no one is teaching me to use PPE!
0 x

Post Reply