Meanwhile...

Ephemera and whimsy
Whiskeyjack
Full Member
Full Member
Posts: 163
Joined: 8 months ago

Re: Meanwhile...

Post by Whiskeyjack » 1 day ago

Rocky wrote:
1 day ago
Well done on the submission!!

Gravel never had any formal writing training but was coached by his mum (bless him).....the Prof can be pretty vicious in her feedback - it’s a wonder he’s still talking to us. I’d recommend the Economist Style Guide (if it’s still in print). It’s a really nice short booklet. @Rutabaga and @The Real Ravenhurst are probably better placed than me to offer advice
Thanks! I lack the family coaching, I’m sure my dad would have been handy as he was a teacher. I’ll look into the style guide a nice short booklet sounds good to me :D
0 x

User avatar
Dunckel
Hero Member
Hero Member
Posts: 716
Joined: 11 months ago

Re: Meanwhile...

Post by Dunckel » 1 day ago

Meanwhile at Cheese Club
20190416_200511.jpg
5 x

User avatar
Joan
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 1321
Joined: 1 year ago

Re: Meanwhile...

Post by Joan » 1 day ago

I taken to reading memorial benches. This one touched me: celebrating their love while presumably sticking to the language they used.
Attachments
IMG_20190416_193013143.jpg
4 x

User avatar
Rocky
Hero Member
Hero Member
Posts: 808
Joined: 11 months ago

Re: Meanwhile...

Post by Rocky » 1 day ago

That's really nice :-)
1 x

User avatar
Rutabaga
Hero Member
Hero Member
Posts: 757
Joined: 8 months ago

Re: Meanwhile...

Post by Rutabaga » 1 day ago

Sometimes, though, women who decide to share their lives as friends are just that - friends. In the past I have stereotyped at least one cohabiting pair of women as lesbians in this way, and it can be embarrassing!
0 x

User avatar
Sonic Budgie
Sr. Member
Sr. Member
Posts: 296
Joined: 8 months ago

Re: Meanwhile...

Post by Sonic Budgie » 1 day ago

Dunckel wrote:
1 day ago
Meanwhile at Cheese Club

20190416_200511.jpg
The first rule of Cheese Club...
2 x

Whiskeyjack
Full Member
Full Member
Posts: 163
Joined: 8 months ago

Re: Meanwhile...

Post by Whiskeyjack » 1 day ago

Sonic Budgie wrote:
1 day ago
The first rule of Cheese Club...
Morbier?
3 x

User avatar
Joan
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 1321
Joined: 1 year ago

Re: Meanwhile...

Post by Joan » 21 hours ago

Rutabaga wrote:
1 day ago
Sometimes, though, women who decide to share their lives as friends are just that - friends. In the past I have stereotyped at least one cohabiting pair of women as lesbians in this way, and it can be embarrassing!
"Always together" says love to me. I don't know the nature of their love, but I think we can say that it's more than just a friendship.

In fact, always together with your house mate sounds like a Satresque hell to me.
0 x

User avatar
Regulator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 892
Joined: 1 year ago
Location: Cambridge

Re: Meanwhile...

Post by Regulator » 20 hours ago

One of the things that has struck me about the coverage of the Notre Dame fire is the lack of coverage about the fire at the al-Aqsa mosque in Jerusalem...
0 x

Iris
Sr. Member
Sr. Member
Posts: 381
Joined: 8 months ago

Re: Meanwhile...

Post by Iris » 20 hours ago

Regulator wrote:
20 hours ago
One of the things that has struck me about the coverage of the Notre Dame fire is the lack of coverage about the fire at the al-Aqsa mosque in Jerusalem...
The one which was extremely quickly extinguished and caused almost no damage? That one?


Hmmm. I can't imagine why it's received less attention than a fire which extremely badly damaged an iconic tourist attraction a couple of hours on the train from London
0 x

User avatar
Rutabaga
Hero Member
Hero Member
Posts: 757
Joined: 8 months ago

Re: Meanwhile...

Post by Rutabaga » 19 hours ago

Joan wrote:
21 hours ago
"Always together" says love to me. I don't know the nature of their love, but I think we can say that it's more than just a friendship.

In fact, always together with your house mate sounds like a Satresque hell to me.
Agape, eros, philia, storge.
0 x

User avatar
Joan
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 1321
Joined: 1 year ago

Re: Meanwhile...

Post by Joan » 17 hours ago

I know there are different forms of love.

I love some of my friends, deeply. I love my brothers, intermittently. I love avocados, unreservedly.

No one is going to write "always together" about any of those. Well, maybe the avocados.

These are "forsaking all others" words , no matter which kind of love it is.
1 x

Post Reply